Surly Clarity Issues

Reads 863 • Replies 7 • Started Wednesday, August 27, 2014 9:59:15 PM CT

The forums you're viewing are the static, archived version. You won't be able to post or reply here.
Our new, modern forums are here:
RateBeer Forums

Thread Frozen

CLevar
places 23 º 21:59 Wed 8/27/2014

Seems like it was a few years ago that Surly was dealing with some major issues in terms of clarity.

If I recall correctly those problems were, in large part, eliminated when they bought their centrifuge.

But man, both the Furious and the Overrated I had tonight have had SERIOUS issues with floaties. Hops and protein (I think) both. Has anyone else noticed this recently and have any insight into why this issue is popping up again? The only thing I can think of is a rushed production schedule due to being a max capacity.

Fortunately, the beers have not suffered in taste or mouthfeel at all, so I’m not really complaining. They just look ugly.

sprybry
beers 37 º 08:47 Thu 8/28/2014

I had a canned Furious last week and noticed the same thing with the floaties.

TheHOFF43
beers 2045 º places 169 º 08:55 Thu 8/28/2014

I haven’t had a can of Surly in months but the tap at the brewery tastes just fine.

piscator34
beers 3672 º places 75 º 09:15 Thu 8/28/2014

I noticed this too. I bought 24 cans of Overrated back in early July, and all but 2 were full of floaties. Tasted ok though.

JK
beers 7296 º places 442 º 09:33 Thu 8/28/2014

Am I in the minority with my opinion that clarity is both unimportant and not particularly desirable? This might be in part due my love of historical beer styles and farmhouse type brews. If you tell me my beer is clear due to the added ingredient of fish bladder, I would just assume you ler it stay cloudy.

Stine
beers 1810 º places 259 º 10:43 Thu 8/28/2014

I agree, John. Always will take an unfiltered beer over a filtered one, no matter the style. So the appearance of floaties doesn’t really bother me, although I’m not even clear if these things are related.

CLevar
places 23 º 13:26 Thu 8/28/2014

Originally posted by Stine
I agree, John. Always will take an unfiltered beer over a filtered one, no matter the style. So the appearance of floaties doesn’t really bother me, although I’m not even clear if these things are related.

Sure, clarity doesn’t bother me really. But this is not so much suspended yeast or a general "haze" or anything, but rather "chunks" of stuff floating around. Looks quite unappetizing, but as I said, still tastes fine.

arminjewell
beers 9756 º places 10 º 19:14 Thu 8/28/2014

Originally posted by CLevar
Originally posted by Stine

Sure, clarity doesn’t bother me really. But this is not so much suspended yeast or a general "haze" or anything, but rather "chunks" of stuff floating around. Looks quite unappetizing, but as I said, still tastes fine.

Wow, the fact that this is still an issue shows a clear flaw in Surly to me. Yes a ton of craft brewers are doing haziness, but chunks/floaties to me are not really acceptable in beers.