Tasting in Tokyo?

Reads 2290 • Replies 38 • Started Thursday, June 5, 2014 10:36:59 PM CT

The forums you're viewing are the static, archived version. You won't be able to post or reply here.
Our new, modern forums are here:
RateBeer Forums

Thread Frozen

shoulderbroken
beers 4258 º places 393 º 21:23 Thu 6/12/2014

No High Wire at Tanakaya I’m afraid. Have picked up a few bottles, mainly of Belgian stuff. Tried not to get anything anyone has rated.
Still meeting outside Sansa?

jinroh
beers 4531 º places 5 º 23:05 Thu 6/12/2014

OK, noticed Tim’s post about Sansa - yup, 18:15 over there sounds good to me.

TimE
beers 8459 º places 409 º 00:39 Fri 6/13/2014

Looks like tonight got a lot more interesting. Tim Malony and Luke will join us.

theRunningBoar
06:20 Fri 6/13/2014

You do these tastings more regular? Contemplating a move to Tokyo/Osaka soon but will live very low budget, so might be better off bringing the locals and some highly desired european and american beers upon moving to get friendly! :)

jonno
beers 2750 º places 211 º 06:31 Sun 6/15/2014

You are more than welcome. Tastings come in fits and starts, but they are always fun and it’s a good group. Look forward to catching up for a tasting or a pint at a bar!

KyotoLefty
beers 15093 º places 1059 º 17:15 Sun 6/15/2014

Low budget in Japan makes it hard to drink craft beer, as you probably know. It’s pricy here. Festivals are a better chance, pay once, drink all day for some of them.

Osaka and Tokyo are very far from each other. If you are in the Osaka area, let me know.

theRunningBoar
14:16 Tue 6/17/2014

Nice to hear!
Will probably be mainly staying in Tokyo but plan to work together with a few people in Osaka and be there once in a while, so will get back to you then.

I’ve been looking at a few websites and blog (astonishing beer scene, looks fantastic from here and blogging/writing scene about it too) and the prices looked fairly ok. But a lack of knowledge about what is a standard brewery and which beers are specials fails me. What is a common tap price for a very good, no-frills but ’bigger’ local beer like in Britain Thornbridge?
Managed to find the ’non-profit’ non-ratebeer one-night a week bars with local ’craft’ beer here and in others cities so will do my best to find the great value for the price :)!
Anyway, will stop bombing this thread and open a decent one for any future question. Looking forward!

TimE
beers 8459 º places 409 º 17:08 Tue 6/17/2014

If money is your only concern, you will get along fablous with Chuwy. If you don’t know Chuwy you will soon enough. Chuwy approved venues would be iBrew and Craft Beer Market. Oddly, Chuwy rarely talks about Shinshu Sake Mura, but that is the cheapest place to drink in Tokyo. I think Beer Horn is also Chuwy approved, but I can’t remember.