The aftermarket value of beer is unreal.

Reads 7066 • Replies 59 • Started Monday, April 11, 2016 7:35:47 AM CT

The forums you're viewing are the static, archived version. You won't be able to post or reply here.
Our new, modern forums are here:
RateBeer Forums

Thread Frozen

fly
beers 1490 º places 271 º 23:38 Mon 4/11/2016

Originally posted by after4ever
Originally posted by Naven
Originally posted by DietPepsican
The new group of beer people in my area all have a "buy in" mentality when sharing beer. You have to bring something of equal secondary value to get an invite to the table. Trading for most of these beers is impossible with shelf beer, so people end up having to purchase beer on the secondary just to get included in the circle.

It seems to be trickling down to even lower hyped, mass produced beer like KBS.

That’s sad - and part of the reason I find myself drifting farther and farther out of this hobby....

I actually find the opposite, at least per capita. Yeah, there are more corny beer bros all the time, but there are that many more cool, smart people who are fun to drink with. I’ve met more people who are everyday friends through the beer scene in the last few years than in all the years before it--because the scene is SO much bigger now.

This - at least I have had the same experience.

SinH4
beers 15466 º places 416 º 03:42 Tue 4/12/2016

Generally, I have to say, good beer has become way easier to obtain. Okay, not the whales, but there’s so much more other good beer. I’d rather have lots of good beer available around me and let the people who want to buy "rare" stuff for ridiculously high prices buy them than having no good beer available around me.

Originally posted by DietPepsican
The new group of beer people in my area all have a "buy in" mentality when sharing beer. You have to bring something of equal secondary value to get an invite to the table. Trading for most of these beers is impossible with shelf beer, so people end up having to purchase beer on the secondary just to get included in the circle.

This is a shame.

Originally posted by t0rin0
Cantillon seasonal releases like Fou Foune were selling for $200, despite being made and distributed every year. Now they’re maybe half that price.

But on the other hand, 5 years ago, Lambics were shelf turds in Belgium and you could get them for amounts of money that were close to standard Belgian beer prices.

Originally posted by t0rin0
Anyone remember how crazy people used to go for barrel aged Speedway? Now places in Europe are getting it on tap and the rest of us can buy it on the secondary market for very close to cost.

Still looking for this one. One of my regular bars in Switzerland got it on tap, but I don’t live in Switzerland anymore :/

MacBoost
beers 2074 º places 37 º 05:22 Tue 4/12/2016

To be fair, I have seen some reasonable prices on sites like those on occasion.

fredandboboflo
beers 1591 º places 62 º 10:14 Tue 4/12/2016

Yeah, it’s an interesting, often mind-blowing phenomenon. I’d love to have money to blow on beer for prestige.

People have been complaining since I started poking around here in 2007 (and I as I understand long before that) about auction/restrictive trading, then insane releases, then limited tasting groups, then the aftermarket, now all summed up by "beer bros." And yet despite that, there continues to be an increasingly overwhelming amount of beer available to everybody, and huger numbers of people casually drinking that beer. All this other stuff is just fascinating noise.

mkgrenwel
beers 619 º places 117 º 10:47 Tue 4/12/2016

I hate to be the too-cool bro here, but who cares? Everyone seems to go through a phase of whale chasing to some degree when they first get into the hobby. Eventually most of us relax and settle in. Some never do. Either way, if you don’t want to pay crazy aftermarket prices for these beers, just don’t. I don’t understand why this is a problem.

after4ever
admin
beers 8025 º places 322 º 12:17 Tue 4/12/2016

Originally posted by mkgrenwel
I hate to be the too-cool bro here, but who cares? Everyone seems to go through a phase of whale chasing to some degree when they first get into the hobby. Eventually most of us relax and settle in. Some never do. Either way, if you don’t want to pay crazy aftermarket prices for these beers, just don’t. I don’t understand why this is a problem.

We can ignore it, but we can’t wish it away. It’ll still happen, and as long as it happens, it’s worth thinking about for people who care about the scene/community. I bet quite a few RBians care more than most about the general health of the scene/community.

So, if you have a second to think about it, it’s pretty clear right away that these guys are just scalpers, and most of us can agree that scalpers are assholes. They’re at least opportunistic in a very selfish way, anyway.

A lot of us are sports and music fans, too, and those types of live events practically invented scalping. We’ve come to terms with it there, and maybe in the long run we’ll be well-served by coming to terms with scalpers in the beer world. But beer releases for crazy labor-intensive stuff are often limited to a few hundred bottles; most shows/games we want to see have thousands of tickets available, and maybe another one coming up soon in the next town.

Is it worth pouting over, and letting it ruin even one sip of your next beer? No, not at all. But it’s worth reminding ourselves that we build community by welcoming all beer lovers, not just those with .rar bottles. And we strengthen our community by doing what we can (if anything) to keep good bottles in the hands of those who will appreciate them, rather than scalping them.

mkgrenwel
beers 619 º places 117 º 12:39 Tue 4/12/2016

We can ignore it, but we can’t wish it away. It’ll still happen, and as long as it happens, it’s worth thinking about for people who care about the scene/community. I bet quite a few RBians care more than most about the general health of the scene/community.

Of course this stuff isn’t representative of the kind of community we want to have. I just see them as completely different things. It’s something that happens in parallel to the "real" craft beer enthusiast scene.

I would probably be more bothered somewhat if I was spending more time interacting with bros who do get involved. But as it stands I have a few friends that I share beer with when I see them. Otherwise, it’s just me purchasing for me and my wife. No one I’m hanging out with is participating in this nonsense, so it has no impact whatsoever on my enjoyment of craft beer currently.

Perhaps I need to remember that I don’t speak for everyone, and that my experiences aren’t necessarily universal.

after4ever
admin
beers 8025 º places 322 º 13:13 Tue 4/12/2016

Of course this stuff isn’t representative of the kind of community we want to have. I just see them as completely different things. It’s something that happens in parallel to the "real" craft beer enthusiast scene.

I would probably be more bothered somewhat if I was spending more time interacting with bros who do get involved. But as it stands I have a few friends that I share beer with when I see them. Otherwise, it’s just me purchasing for me and my wife. No one I’m hanging out with is participating in this nonsense, so it has no impact whatsoever on my enjoyment of craft beer currently.

Perhaps I need to remember that I don’t speak for everyone, and that my experiences aren’t necessarily universal.

Doesn’t have any effect on my life, either, so it’s more like taking a look at the issues to see what’s going on.

I mean, I don’t really personally care about the Lions or the Warriors, but I’d love to know more about how the Lions managed to lose so many games a few years, or the Dubs managed to win so many the last couple. Aftermarket beer prices are like crazy sports stats that way--remarkable in the sense that they’re worth remarking on.

Thecalmdrinker
16:29 Fri 4/15/2016

The most I’ve paid for beer is $21.99 for KBS. lol