The "American Lambic" Predicament

Reads 9914 • Replies 76 • Started Monday, May 21, 2012 1:43:50 PM CT

The forums you're viewing are the static, archived version. You won't be able to post or reply here.
Our new, modern forums are here:
RateBeer Forums

Thread Frozen

FL_homer
beers 1 º places 1 º 10:13 Thu 5/24/2012

Originally posted by GT2
With my forum filter, this thread is only 2 pages. Discuss.

I could take a few wild guesses on who you are filtering

Anyway, I like the Florida Weisse thread better.

chriso
beers 7540 º places 736 º 10:20 Thu 5/24/2012

Originally posted by Jeppe
Its not like you would call it Champagne just because its sparkling wine.

No, but I would call Champagne just another sparkling wine.

SamGamgee
beers 2452 º places 182 º 12:36 Thu 5/24/2012

I guess I don’t get the whole "overly sour" flavor that is being associated with acetic acid in american sour beers. Probably the most sour American beer I’ve had is Beatification, at least among beers that were good. Some have been more harsh, but I associate that more with ethyl acetate, which I think is from the oxidative activity of brett, which will also produce acetic acid. I find most American sour beers to actually be milder and less acidic overall than your typical gueuze.

And I would say that recent releases from Cascade are definitely the cleanest sour beers out there--much cleaner than 3F gueuze, which I always find to have a somewhat harsh barnyard aroma, even if the acidity isn’t too high.

hophead84
08:12 Fri 5/25/2012

Seems to be a lot of confusion between lactic, citric, and acetic acid in this thread. I saw someone even refer to acidic acid.

Danko
08:36 Fri 5/25/2012

Originally posted by ryan
Originally posted by FlacoAlto
Originally posted by KungFuMike
Originally posted by b3shine
Originally posted by levifunk
Sorry Joe, but I don’t think you follow this.
Brett has very little to do with souring aspects of lambics.

I completely disagree with you, Levi. Brett has a great deal to do with the souring aspects of lambics.

No, no it doesn’t.

+1 Brett has a lot to do with the flavor and fermentation profile of Lambic, but compared to Lactobacillus and pediococcus, produces very little acidity.

Although lacto is a much better acid producer than brett, I’d be willing to bet that brett actually plays a larger role in acidifying a lambic than lacto. Traditional lambic producers make sure there is virtually no lactobacillus in their beer by using copious quantities of hops (the 6% ABV also helps). Most common strains of lacto are gram positive and unable to reproduce in this environment. The brett, though producing much less acid per capita, is present in huge numbers.

Brettanomyces does not make beer sour, other organisms do. Lactobacillus and pediococus as mentioned earlier are two big culprits for lowering the pH, as are some other acetobacteria.

The hops used in traditional lambic have been stored sometimes up to several years, it’s not going to kill lactobacillus or such to the extent mentioned.

If you’re interested in how active these organisms are, at what stage during fermentation and for how long etc then check out this diagram:

http://www.danko.se/bier/16.bakteriediagram.gif

As you can see, the pH doesn’t start going up until after more than a year and a half for instance.

Cheers,

Danko

Ps. Don’t get spooked by the enterobacteria, it’s not a problem! hehe

hophead84
09:10 Fri 5/25/2012

Originally posted by Danko
Originally posted by ryan
Originally posted by FlacoAlto
Originally posted by KungFuMike
Originally posted by b3shine
Sorry Joe, but I don’t think you follow this.
Brett has very little to do with souring aspects of lambics.

I completely disagree with you, Levi. Brett has a great deal to do with the souring aspects of lambics.

No, no it doesn’t.

+1 Brett has a lot to do with the flavor and fermentation profile of Lambic, but compared to Lactobacillus and pediococcus, produces very little acidity.

Although lacto is a much better acid producer than brett, I’d be willing to bet that brett actually plays a larger role in acidifying a lambic than lacto. Traditional lambic producers make sure there is virtually no lactobacillus in their beer by using copious quantities of hops (the 6% ABV also helps). Most common strains of lacto are gram positive and unable to reproduce in this environment. The brett, though producing much less acid per capita, is present in huge numbers.

Brettanomyces does not make beer sour, other organisms do. Lactobacillus and pediococus as mentioned earlier are two big culprits for lowering the pH, as are some other acetobacteria.

The hops used in traditional lambic have been stored sometimes up to several years, it’s not going to kill lactobacillus or such to the extent mentioned.

If you’re interested in how active these organisms are, at what stage during fermentation and for how long etc then check out this diagram:

http://www.danko.se/bier/16.bakteriediagram.gif

As you can see, the pH doesn’t start going up until after more than a year and a half for instance.

Cheers,

Danko

Why do you say that? I’ve had lambic with awful enterobacter issues.

Danko
09:18 Fri 5/25/2012

Hi Shane,

As with a lot of other beers besides lambic becoming infected with among other things enterobacteria, it’s not the norm. And the inclusion of enterobacteria as displayed in the chart does not imply an infection. Hence it’s usually not a problem, even though as you point out there are indeed sometimes ghastly tasting lambic (and other beers) out there. :)

levifunk
beers 12 º 09:18 Fri 5/25/2012

Originally posted by hophead84

enterobacteria is common in the first couple weeks, but get beat out by the good yeast and bacteria. Actually, I believe I read that brett will later eat the enterobacteria (or whatever it creates?) and create additional flavors adding to the depth and complexity of a lambic.

If you’ve had lambic with enterobacter issues, it would almost certianly be due to the base wort was not an environment that encouraged the sachro, lacto, brett, and pedio to take off to out compete the enterobacter early enough. Once sachro and lacto take off, it kills the enterobacter.

hophead84
09:23 Fri 5/25/2012

Hi Shane,

As with a lot of other beers besides lambic becoming infected with among other things enterobacteria, it’s not the norm. And the inclusion of enterobacteria as displayed in the chart does not imply an infection. Hence it’s usually not a problem, even though as you point out there are indeed sometimes ghastly tasting lambic (and other beers) out there. :)

Thanks for the the info (and levi). That’s an informative graph.

Danko
09:26 Fri 5/25/2012

Originally posted by hophead84

enterobacteria is common in the first couple weeks, but get beat out by the good yeast and bacteria. Actually, I believe I read that brett will later eat the enterobacteria (or whatever it creates?) and create additional flavors adding to the depth and complexity of a lambic.

If you’ve had lambic with enterobacter issues, it would almost certianly be due to the base wort was not an environment that encouraged the sachro, lacto, brett, and pedio to take off to out compete the enterobacter early enough. Once sachro and lacto take off, it kills the enterobacter.

Spot on comments.

Enterobacteria doesn’t cope with lowered pH, it’s very sensitive to it and dies really fast in the process. Lactobacillus usually takes care of this quickly. E-bacteria outputs a pH of 5 and vort is usually a smidge above that initially. Lambic and oud bruin can easily go down to 3.5 or even below 3 in pH.