RateBeer
home Home > Forums >
Homebrew | Beer Talk | Site News | Beer Trade | Beer Travel | Food/Beer | For Sale | New Here | Non-US | Industry | OT - Lite | OT - Medium

The best homebrew starter kit

read 6205 times • 9 replies • posted 11/28/2012 10:23:27 AM

Thread Frozen

premium
jmagnus87 2427:85
What is it. Im looking to get myself a christmas gift and want to get into homebrewing. Is there a decent kit out there where i wont have to buy a bunch of parts from different people? A buddy said northern brewer has a good one but i figure ill ask all you experts. Thanks
Private message Send the author a private message

premium
NobleSquirrel 3437:209
Northern brewer is pretty much the go-to anymore. Midwest supplies, Austin home brew, rebel brewer and more beer are all solid as well.
11/28/2012 10:35:28 AM

Private message send the author a private message

elkhunter36 10
Originally posted by jmagnus87
A buddy said northern brewer has a good one but i figure ill ask all you experts. Thanks

I use Northern Brewer the most, probably because they have a retail store here in Milwaukee. I also frequently use Austin Homebrew.
Starter kits include the basics but not a brew kettle.

http://www.northernbrewer.com/shop/brewing/beer-equipment-starter-kits/essential-brewing-starter-kit.html

http://www.austinhomebrew.com/product_info.php?cPath=178_33_52&products_id=12735
11/28/2012 10:39:00 AM

JLLSU 238:1
11/28/2012 11:16:00 AM

premium
JoeinDahlem 1325:279
Pretty much any homebrew shop worth its salt will have a decent kit with everything you need to start. Is there a shop in your town? Good to go there and see and touch the stuff yourself, ask a bunch of questions.
11/28/2012 11:34:02 AM

Unclerudy 12:3
Get the upgraded kit. Worth the extra 30 bucks. Will save you probably sixty if you like homebrewing. It is cheaper to get the bigger and better stuff first in the long run if you plan on taking up the hobby. Or go into all grain from the beginning. More expensive equipment, less expensive materials. And you have to learn anyways to begin with. I could have saved hundredsgoing all grain to begin with.
11/28/2012 1:19:15 PM

premium
Guyute_Pig 101:45
+1 on going straight to all grain from the start. Iím sure you can find a turkey fryer on sale right now and it is very easy to build your own mashtun from a cooler. Iíve been happy with Northern Brewer, too.
11/28/2012 1:51:02 PM

premium
jmagnus87 2427:85
Thanks guys. I think im gonna go with the upgraded northern brewer kit. I have a couple gatorade coolers in the garage i could convert later to go to all grain. Is that tough to do?
11/29/2012 6:51:28 AM

NorCalHermit 1
After MUCH research I suggest Ritebrew.com, with out any doubt! Check out the contents of http://www.ritebrew.com/category-s/1936.htm and Iím sure you will agree. Plus itís an 8 gallon fermenter, so you can make big beers without worrying about blow offs. Add a 5 gallon carboy if you want a secondary and you are set. You can also upgrade to a Super Agata bench capper for only $22.49! An all around great deal!
11/29/2012 7:14:31 AM

Unclerudy 12:3
Make sure you use the ten gallon cooler instead if the give. Same cost to convert, easier to do bigger beers.
11/29/2012 9:07:27 AM

Homebrew Shops - A collection of homebrew shops and supply houses submitted by RateBeer readers

Homebrewing Articles - RateBeer Magazine's homebrewing department

Homebrew Recipes - Experiment, share and post your own homebrew recipes

Until we can make beer come out of your monitor...

Beer2Buds
Send Beer Over The Net

Free signup now. Even out a trade, keep good vibes alive, say hi with a beer

Copyright © 2000-2014,
RateBeer LLC. All rights
reserved.
about us
About RateBeer
FAQ
Contact/Feedback
New Beers
add