RateBeer
home Home > Forums >
Industry | Beer Talk | Site News | Beer Trade | Beer Travel | Food/Beer | For Sale | New Here | Homebrew | Non-US | OT - Lite | OT - Medium

The New England Brewing Company

read 1805 times • 12 replies • posted 9/24/2012 1:07:09 PM

Thread Frozen
Page 1 | 2

emerica56 600:3
Hi My name is JD

My partners and I are 3 25yr olds looking to get a piece of the beer industry. If any brewers could give us some feedback on the following topics we would appreciate it a lot. How did you go about getting your funding? How did you secure a hop contract for the first year and how much did you project? we are looking to start with a 20bbl system with 4 fermentors, is this too much/ too little? When coming up with your flagship beers how did you decide the hops to use, did you try and keep them all the same because of your contract or did you get creative? Where did you start with securing your grains, did you go to a farmer or did you buy from a wholesale distributor? When choosing a facility did you decide with a big place in a bad area or a small place in a great location and why? what was your water bill like for the first year and how did you anticipate this cost? what types of insurance should we buy? Is there any tips we should know on how to get us up and running smooth? Any feed back is really appreciated since ive been told by a few i will fail and most just want us open to drink our beer which is the hard part, opening up and getting going. Thanks again and Cheers
JD
Private message Send the author a private message

jonboy32818 30:8
I would probably choose a name thats not taken. but in all seriously I think you will find some good advice here
9/24/2012 1:09:20 PM

Private message send the author a private message

premium
NobleSquirrel 3437:209
Just so youíre aware, a 20bbl system is a pretty big system, especially if you donít know what youíre getting yourself into. You have to realize that youíll need to make sure that the space you get can actually support the weight of those fermenters and, if it works out, expansion to support even more fermenters. Iíd also probably suggest going out to your local breweries to get information. It sounds like you are basically starting from scratch. Do any of you know how to brew?
9/24/2012 1:20:35 PM

Originally posted by NobleSquirrel
Just so youíre aware, a 20bbl system is a pretty big system, especially if you donít know what youíre getting yourself into. You have to realize that youíll need to make sure that the space you get can actually support the weight of those fermenters and, if it works out, expansion to support even more fermenters. Iíd also probably suggest going out to your local breweries to get information. It sounds like you are basically starting from scratch. Do any of you know how to brew?

The space we are looking at is a warehouse with solid floors and has a huge ceiling. I just did not know if we should go 30 since most of the local brewers in our area are at 30bbl and 40 bbl. we have room to move up to 60bbl in the space we are looking at. thanks
9/24/2012 1:37:49 PM

Originally posted by jonboy32818
I would probably choose a name thats not taken. but in all seriously I think you will find some good advice here

Did not see that one but we secured the domain name JDNEBrewing.com so should we change to JDís brewing since that is what it is. but being from New England we went with that type of theme. appreciate the feedback.
9/24/2012 1:40:00 PM

premium
Cletus 6354:233
Originally posted by emerica56

Did not see that one but we secured the domain name JDNEBrewing.com so should we change to JDís brewing since that is what it is. but being from New England we went with that type of theme. appreciate the feedback.

Just an FYI, New England Brewing paid a lot of money to secure the rights to the name New England Brewing from the previous owners of the brewery who also paid a lot of money to secure the name from a defunct brewery. JDís has a nice ring to it.

There is a lot of money and legal tape to cut through in order to open a brewery. There is also a lot of overhead and a narrow profit margin. If you have the capital, the next step is to secure a brewer who knows what they are doing and how to brew on a large scale and to secure some sales and marketing since you will have to be a hell of a promoter to get your beers on the shelves and sold in New England. I would not be worrying about things like hop contracts until youíve done some market research, put together an attractive business plan for investors, and secured a location and most of the necessary permits.

To Start, read these to see if this is something you want to do:

http://www.amazon.com/Brewing-Up-Business-Adventures-Entrepreneurship/dp/0470050454/ref=sr_1_2?ie=UTF8&qid=1348523015&sr=8-2&keywords=brewing+up+a+business

http://www.amazon.com/Brewers-Guide-Opening-Nano-Brewery/dp/1470087960/ref=sr_1_4?s=books&ie=UTF8&qid=1348523050&sr=1-4&keywords=brewing+up+a+business

http://www.amazon.com/Brewers-Associations-Guide-Starting-Brewery/dp/0937381896/ref=sr_1_5?s=books&ie=UTF8&qid=1348523099&sr=1-5&keywords=brewing+up+a+business
9/24/2012 2:40:35 PM

premium
NobleSquirrel 3437:209
Originally posted by Cletus

Just an FYI, New England Brewing paid a lot of money to secure the rights to the name New England Brewing from the previous owners of the brewery who also paid a lot of money to secure the name from a defunct brewery. JDís has a nice ring to it.

There is a lot of money and legal tape to cut through in order to open a brewery. There is also a lot of overhead and a narrow profit margin. If you have the capital, the next step is to secure a brewer who knows what they are doing and how to brew on a large scale and to secure some sales and marketing since you will have to be a hell of a promoter to get your beers on the shelves and sold in New England. I would not be worrying about things like hop contracts until youíve done some market research, put together an attractive business plan for investors, and secured a location and all of the necessary permits.

Yeah, and saying youíre looking to "get a piece of the beer industry" sounds naive. Itís not easy work. Itís not cheap. It doesnít pay well. Especially for a start up...
9/24/2012 2:43:55 PM

premium
JK 4615:296
Originally posted by NobleSquirrel
Originally posted by Cletus

There is a lot of money and legal tape to cut through in order to open a brewery. There is also a lot of overhead and a narrow profit margin. If you have the capital, the next step is to secure a brewer who knows what they are doing and how to brew on a large scale and to secure some sales and marketing since you will have to be a hell of a promoter to get your beers on the shelves and sold in New England. I would not be worrying about things like hop contracts until youíve done some market research, put together an attractive business plan for investors, and secured a location and all of the necessary permits.

Yeah, and saying youíre looking to "get a piece of the beer industry" sounds naive. Itís not easy work. Itís not cheap. It doesnít pay well. Especially for a start up...

Sure but they are young.

In all seriousness, try to learn as much as you can from the mistakes of others rather than making them yourself. Good luck.
9/24/2012 3:50:28 PM

premium
Savvy1982 1705:70

You should totally make a beer named Imperial Stout Trooper.

That way you wonít be sued for trademark infringement at all.
9/24/2012 3:56:11 PM

Thanks for all the advice i think we are going to scale back and open a brewpub restaurant working off a 3bbl or 5bbl setup.
9/26/2012 2:10:11 PM

premium
jcwattsrugger 11227:2
WOW that was a quick change in plan. It takes longer than that to fill out the brewers permit that you dont have yet. I will bm you to ask a question or two offline.

good luck, john
9/26/2012 4:12:12 PM

Home > Forums > Industry

Page 1 | 2
Copyright © 2000-2014,
RateBeer LLC. All rights
reserved.
about us
About RateBeer
FAQ
Contact/Feedback