RateBeer
home Home > Forums >
Homebrew | Beer Talk | Site News | Beer Trade | Beer Travel | Food/Beer | For Sale | New Here | Non-US | Industry | OT - Lite | OT - Medium

The new guy

read 713 times • 15 replies • posted 12/16/2013 5:24:12 AM

Thread Frozen
Page 1 | 2

premium
kraddel 3136:133
hey ! some of you might know me allready, from other parts in the forum . But i guess most of you donít .

Iím Dylan, i live in Belgium ( Antwerp ) and a fan of great beer .
Since beer became kindof my life, and i work in a beerbar , many people keep asking me ( daily ) if i ever were to brew beer myself .

Today , i found a long time want ( mikkeller x ) on the site of mikkeller . I was kinda inpulsive, and bought what i think is a homebrew ( yes, i know THAT much about it ! )
http://shop.mikkeller.dk/diverse-13/beer-geek-homebrew-613.html

now, since this is THE forum to ask these kind of stuff, who can help me starting this thing up ? I know shit about brewing myself .

Iíd like to make super-thick Imperial stouts, or great aromatic IIPAís . Flemish old brown / old red ales . Expirements .
but i supose thats kinda of a high level to start at .

who can help me gather info on what to make first, and how to make it ? what do i need appart from what i bought ( link ) and where do i buy it ( Beglian members ? )

if thereís anyone from around Antwerp ( you never know ) who wanna give me IP lessons, always welcome !

cheers guys !
Private message Send the author a private message

premium
NeoHippie2 996:48
Just take a (short) little roadtrip to the States and come to Kentucky. Thereís a great store called My Old Kentucky Homebrew that can get you all set up! ...ok that might be a bit further than you want to travel, sorry I canít help you more man!
12/16/2013 8:57:42 AM

Private message send the author a private message

premium
bitbucket 2159:63
Letís get past the Danish part. Google Translate says you bought:

1 st. Home Brew Geek! Stout from Mikkellers recipe pack (4 liters)
5-liter fermentation tank in the glass
Thermometer
Siphon
Kapslingsapparat
Capsules
Sanitizer
Silicone Stopper
Airlock

Google doesnít know what a íKapslingsapparatí is. Protective case? And then there is the ambiguity about íCapsulesí. What sort of capsules?

Looks like you got a five liter carboy with a stopper and airlock, so you have your fermentation vessel. Itís a bit on the small side, but probably well matched to your four liter ingredient pack. Iím assuming that the ingredient pack has malt extract, hops, yeast and probably some malt?

Looks like youíll need a large pot, and five liter size would be handy.

Youíll also need need a large, porous bag for the grains (if you get malt in the kit) so you can steep them in hot water in your large pot at 66C for half an hour or so. This is part of the reason you have a thermometer in the kit.

Later, youíll need to add the hops and malt extract to this water and boil for an hour. Then cool everything down to the temperature specified by your kit (thermometer time again). This can usually be done by placing the pot in a bath of cold water in the kitchen sink.

Sanitize the siphon, airlock, carboy and stopper. Use siphon to transfer from the pot to the carboy, add the stopper and airlock. Iím still wondering about those capsules.
12/16/2013 11:41:25 PM

premium
Holy crap. Did you just spend 750 Danish Krone for a four liter kit? Damn.
Thatís almost $140 US dollars for not much more than a gallon of beer.
12/16/2013 11:50:44 PM

premium
JulienHuxley 3128:259
I think kapslingapparat is probably a bottle capper, and capsules are probably just bottle caps.

If that indeed is the price, thatís outrageous.
12/17/2013 1:20:05 AM

premium
yes, so iíve heard . seems like this is a just-add-water-thing . i could still cancel it, so i did .

prob gonna buy one from a specialized site, a írealí one ;)
12/17/2013 1:58:36 AM

premium
77ships 3801:109
12/17/2013 3:11:36 AM

ContemplateBeer 1542:112
My name is not ScottPurchase, but I do approve this post.
12/17/2013 4:09:20 AM

premium
Originally posted by JulienHuxley
I think kapslingapparat is probably a bottle capper, and capsules are probably just bottle caps.

OK, that makes more sense.

Originally posted by JulienHuxley
If that indeed is the price, thatís outrageous.

Yup
12/17/2013 5:36:55 AM

premium
Originally posted by 77ships
Shouldnít you be buying this?
http://shop.mikkeller.dk/beer-23/mikkeller-x-stout-2006-2013-628.html

i have . tey were kind enough to switch the homebrew with some more bottles of this . YAY !!!

cheers to mikkeller !

anyway,talking to brewers now ( het nest, for instance, and homebrewers ) to learn what i DO need to buy, what ingredients , and how to make the first beer . thnx for the replies !
12/17/2013 5:41:50 AM

premium
Theis 13412:114
Originally posted by bitbucket
Letís get past the Danish part. Google Translate says you bought:

1 st. Home Brew Geek! Stout from Mikkellers recipe pack (4 liters)
5-liter fermentation tank in the glass
Thermometer
Siphon
Kapslingsapparat
Capsules
Sanitizer
Silicone Stopper
Airlock

Google doesnít know what a íKapslingsapparatí is. Protective case? And then there is the ambiguity about íCapsulesí. What sort of capsules?

Looks like you got a five liter carboy with a stopper and airlock, so you have your fermentation vessel. Itís a bit on the small side, but probably well matched to your four liter ingredient pack. Iím assuming that the ingredient pack has malt extract, hops, yeast and probably some malt?

Looks like youíll need a large pot, and five liter size would be handy.

Youíll also need need a large, porous bag for the grains (if you get malt in the kit) so you can steep them in hot water in your large pot at 66C for half an hour or so. This is part of the reason you have a thermometer in the kit.

Later, youíll need to add the hops and malt extract to this water and boil for an hour. Then cool everything down to the temperature specified by your kit (thermometer time again). This can usually be done by placing the pot in a bath of cold water in the kitchen sink.

Sanitize the siphon, airlock, carboy and stopper. Use siphon to transfer from the pot to the carboy, add the stopper and airlock. Iím still wondering about those capsules.

Maybe this can help:
https://fbcdn-sphotos-h-a.akamaihd.net/hphotos-ak-ash3/993749_270651699755792_489141968_n.jpg
12/17/2013 5:43:25 AM

Home > Forums > Homebrew

Page 1 | 2

Homebrew Shops - A collection of homebrew shops and supply houses submitted by RateBeer readers

Homebrewing Articles - RateBeer Magazine's homebrewing department

Homebrew Recipes - Experiment, share and post your own homebrew recipes

Until we can make beer come out of your monitor...

Beer2Buds
Send Beer Over The Net

Free signup now. Even out a trade, keep good vibes alive, say hi with a beer

Copyright © 2000-2014,
RateBeer LLC. All rights
reserved.
about us
About RateBeer
FAQ
Contact/Feedback
New Beers
add