The secret to explosive hop aroma

Reads 12349 • Replies 84 • Started Sunday, April 6, 2014 7:06:09 PM CT

The forums you're viewing are the static, archived version. You won't be able to post or reply here.
Our new, modern forums are here:
RateBeer Forums

Thread Frozen

drewbeerme
beers 3921 º places 1 º 14:15 Mon 4/7/2014

Originally posted by joeneugs
What do you do to get the potent aroma blast in your hoppy beers?

For the most part, 2-6oz during final 5min, dry hop with 4-6oz of pellets in weighted sack in keg for 7 days moving keg around 2x/day. Remove sack, carb, serve. Pretty straight forward really.

joeneugs
beers 6372 º places 240 º 15:12 Mon 4/7/2014

Well, the hops are about 6 months old, but I store them vacuumed sealed in the freezer. They smelled pretty potent and fresh when I put them in.

joeneugs
beers 6372 º places 240 º 21:46 Mon 4/7/2014

Grain bill:
74.5% American 2-row
7.5% Sucrose (table sugar)
4.5% Carapils
4.5% Crystal 20
4.5% Munich
2.25% Honey Malt
2.25% White Wheat

Mashed at 149 F
Batch sparged

Hop schedule:
.75 ounces of Apollo for 60 minutes 32 IBU’s
.75 ounces of Citra for 15 minutes
.75 ounces of Citra for 10 minutes
1 ounce of Citra for 5 minutes
1.5 ounces of Citra whirlpooled for 20 minutes

SG: 1.070
FG: 1.010

Large starter of WLP001

Dry-hopped with 2.5 ounces of Citra and 2.5 ounces of Amarillo split up evenly over three additions three days apart for a total of 9 days. The first addition was put in a weighted hop bag, but the other two were just thrown in and swirled a couple times a day.

Kegged and lagered 5 days then force carbed and served... now that I look at the recipe again, I guess I could have added more whirl pool hops. How much are you guys using? Do you do whirlpool additions at different temperatures to get more bitterness out of some and retain more of the oils in others?

Also here was my calculated water profile after adding measured amounts of minerals:

Ca 70ppm
Mg 21ppm
Na 43ppm
Cl 88ppm
SO4 137ppm

joet
admin
beers 2900 º places 125 º 21:51 Mon 4/7/2014

This is a fascinating thread with a lot of great contributions, Joe. Thanks for starting it.

I’ve heard brewers talk about how they don’t like to smell hop aromas when brewing because sensing those precious aromas means they’ve escaped the beer.

Are there homebrew-scale methods for minimizing the escape of volatile aromas?

cquiroga
beers 371 º places 11 º 22:42 Mon 4/7/2014

I added 2 oz. of Citra pellets to a 1/2-gallon growler and "dry-hopped" that sumbitch for two days. It was happy as a muthaducka. Had to dilute with like 4-to-1 "unhopped" fresh beer from the tap to balance it out a bit. Was delicious. Would do it again in a heartbeat (when I could drink 2 1/2 gallons of beer in one sitting).

True story.

joeneugs
beers 6372 º places 240 º 04:59 Tue 4/8/2014

Originally posted by joet
there homebrew-scale methods for minimizing the escape of volatile aromas?

Rodger Davis of Faction has told me numerous times that I need to add the dry-hops near the end of fermentation while there’s still yeast activity and then "cap the fermentor" to get great aroma. I asked him what he meant by that, and he told me to literally seal up the fermentor when the beer is a couple gravity points away from terminal gravity so that the volatile aromas are trapped in the beer. It seems to me that yeast activity would blow off some of the aromatics rather than trap them, but he swears by this method.

The problem is, I ferment in carboys. The couple times I tried this method, I ended up blowing the caps right off the top of the carboys due to built up pressure. It would be easier if I had a conical like pro brewers use. I’ve heard Kyle Smith of Kern River and Matt Brylindson of Firestone Walker say the same kind of things, but they also mention that they have to burp the fermentor before each dry hop addition, so it seems like the aroma is escaping anyway…

I know it’s good to have yeast activity during dry hopping also so that the oxygen in the pellets is metabolized, but I would think theres still plenty of cells in suspension even after fermentation is complete to do this job.

Honestly in this case, I think I needed to go heavier on the whirlpool hops. Maybe even another ounce or two in the dry hop for such a big beer.

drewbeerme
beers 3921 º places 1 º 06:35 Tue 4/8/2014

In my experience homebrewers tend to over value what the pros are doing and over complicate things. The pros are doing things based on their systems and often their limitations, they also have their bottom line to deal with and is often what guides their decision making, this doesn’t always translate to the homebrew scale. There are advantages and disadvantages on both sides.

Your recipe looks heavy on crystal malts and too light on late additions. Have you glanced at the pliney clone recipe that Vinnie added to the site? Having said that, I would think you would be getting a bigger aroma with 5oz dry hops so my guess is you didn’t extract all the oils. Maybe people with more experience dry hopping in carboys could help you but this is why I prefer dry hopping in the keg because I can recirculate the oils easier in a keg and thus multiple stage dry hopping aren’t necessary and haven’t helped me in my experience.

joeneugs
beers 6372 º places 240 º 06:47 Tue 4/8/2014

Yeah, I usually don’t use any crystal malt in IPA’s, just a little carapils. This recipe is based on the Kern River Citra recipe Kyle Smith gave out on the brewing network. In fact the malt bill is identical to that beer.

Good point about the pro brewer vs. homebrewer thing.

HornyDevil
07:09 Tue 4/8/2014

Honestly in this case, I think I needed to go heavier on the whirlpool hops.

Ayep. Like 6 - 8 oz. heavier.

Maybe even another ounce or two in the dry hop for such a big beer.

That wouldn’t hurt, but it isn’t your problem. FWIW, no matter the gravity of the beer, all my hoppy beers get two, one-week long dry hoppings. Usually they are 3 oz. each for a 5.5 gallon batch.

Anxious to hear what happens when you make these changes.

keanex
beers 1802 º places 65 º 08:13 Tue 4/8/2014

The problem is, I ferment in carboys. The couple times I tried this method, I ended up blowing the caps right off the top of the carboys due to built up pressure. It would be easier if I had a conical like pro brewers use. I’ve heard Kyle Smith of Kern River and Matt Brylindson of Firestone Walker say the same kind of things, but they also mention that they have to burp the fermentor before each dry hop addition, so it seems like the aroma is escaping anyway…
I’m not pro brewer but that whole process seems completely counter-intuitive to just waiting for fermentation to finish so no yeast push out any hop aroma from dry-hopping, nor will it scrub away the oils.

Edit: and again, there’s seemingly no value to dry-hopping multiple times. The hop oils are all extracted from dry-hopping within the first 24-72 hours at most. Any lag period after that is just causing the oils to start their time ticker.

http://inhoppursuit.blogspot.com/2012/02/more-aroma-oil-faster-dry-hopsters-holy.html

Homebrew Shops - A collection of homebrew shops and supply houses submitted by RateBeer readers

Homebrewing Articles - RateBeer Magazine's homebrewing department

Homebrew Recipes - Experiment, share and post your own homebrew recipes

Until we can make beer come out of your monitor...

Beer2Buds
Send Beer Over The Net

Free signup now. Even out a trade, keep good vibes alive, say hi with a beer