The Session IPA Appreciation Thread

Reads 14888 • Replies 245 • Started Monday, April 14, 2014 7:10:36 AM CT

The forums you're viewing are the static, archived version. You won't be able to post or reply here.
Our new, modern forums are here:
RateBeer Forums

Thread Frozen

FatPhil
beers 25978 º places 994 º 08:28 Sun 4/20/2014

Originally posted by FatPhil
Advanced Search...

All searches sorted alphabetically, obviously, so that position in the alphabet where the 100-limit occurs gives you an indication of how far into the list you are.

DietPepsican
beers 1592 º places 63 º 08:33 Sun 4/20/2014

All golden ales you are searching = high beta, low alpha, highly carbonated, sub 5% abv or is this trying to show an example of something that is not like another thing?

crossovert
beers 17165 º places 150 º 09:55 Sun 4/20/2014

Originally posted by MagicDave6
Originally posted by crossovert
Originally posted by Gazza
We all know that Americans love to airbrush history so I think it’s time for us Europeans to say OK, call it what you want, we don’t really give a flying fuck.

I’ve been brewing 4%-4.5% pale, bitter (70 IBU+), hop-forwards (stuff like citra, simcoe, nelson, galaxy etc etc) beers commercially since 2008 but hey, what do I know? I don’t write history, that’s done retrospectively by the USA as usual.

Myopic as usual, Ratebeer. Well done.

Nobody cares WHO invented the style, we are just observing that it exists in vast quantity now and is growing fast among styles. I am sure that plenty of American breweries brewed this and called it something else too. Complaining about how a website categorizes a beer is stupid. Session IPAs exist, try them, see if you like them, if you do, buy them. Quit the incessant whining about who invented it because whoever coined the term session IPA well they were much more innovative than you on the marketing side.

What’s wrong with you man, were you bullied at school? Can you not comprehend the idea that we know this style exists and has done for years and years and that not only have we had them but we brew them on a regular basis. I mean we actually physically brew these beers. Its just a handfull of brewers decided, we are going to put "session IPA" on the label theresfore its a new style is not cricket.

You are posting in a thread called session ipa appreciation and just are bithcing and whining, I’m tellingsaying maybe it would benefit you to take a step back and settle down and appreciate the beers. You seem to be looking for vindication for brewing a beer, good for you congrats, not that I really care. I’m comprehending everything you are saying. I’m saying try these beers, enjoy them, and stop trolling this thread,start a new one if you want to complain.

3fourths
beers 9492 º places 1576 º 10:18 Sun 4/20/2014

^ that’s ridiculous. You don’t make the rules about what is acceptable to talk about in a thread.

joet
admin
beers 2900 º places 125 º 10:25 Sun 4/20/2014

Let me try yet again to understand the grievance and lamentations

1. There is a polarized atmosphere of fear and contempt regarding brewing in the UK between new "craft" brewers and just plain brewers

2. Despite the term "craft beer" being created by Michael Jackson, "craft beer" is thought by many in the UK to be an entirely American invention instead of a term to describe global post-industrial artisan-scale beer renaissance. This erroneous assumption is a primary source of said fear and contempt

3. Because beers in the UK were not, nor are they now, highly differentiated into many distinct categories for marketing, judging and other purposes, beers similar to Session IPAs being brewed in the US, Denmark, Japan and elsewhere, never developed a distinct naming convention around this category of this beer. This happens in many places, but in the UK especially in part due to a predominantly insular, nationalistic approach to beer styles and flavor profiles

4. Although RateBeer is larger in scope than the UK, points of contention caused by our beer styles as they apply in the UK, and are reflective of the aforementioned cultural conflict there between craft and neo-traditional brewing, RateBeer is erroneously being thought of as siding with the craft side of the conflict

5. RateBeer is thought to be contending Session IPA is an American invention. (We are certainly not.)

Do I have this right?

joet
admin
beers 2900 º places 125 º 10:31 Sun 4/20/2014

This is a natural phenomenon that should be recognized as important for this discussion.

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Convergent_evolution

haukur
beers 2184 º places 32 º 10:34 Sun 4/20/2014

you guys all fighting about a naming convention of a golden hoppy ale that is low in abv? There are no "rules". In my opinion this is just down to the brewer. He can call it a golden ale, session IPA or a pale ale, ust the same as he can call a porter a stout and vice verca. I don’t care, although I think that the "Session IPA" name is more of a cultural thing than some technical term.

joet
admin
beers 2900 º places 125 º 10:40 Sun 4/20/2014

Originally posted by haukur
you guys all fighting about a naming convention of a golden hoppy ale that is low in abv? There are no "rules". In my opinion this is just down to the brewer. He can call it a golden ale, session IPA or a pale ale, ust the same as he can call a porter a stout and vice verca. I don’t care, although I think that the "Session IPA" name is more of a cultural thing than some technical term.

^^^ this is exactly right

1. it is a naming convention
2. it is arbitrary
3. it develops between marketers and consumers and is not magically made in New York City and exported to Yankee fiefdoms
4. No one is contending Session IPA is an American invention
5. RateBeer is not siding with the craft versus neotraditional brewers in the cultural fight in the UK

drowland
beers 11069 º places 430 º 10:45 Sun 4/20/2014

ISO: Steel City (seriously)

crossovert
beers 17165 º places 150 º 10:52 Sun 4/20/2014

Originally posted by 3fourths
^ that’s ridiculous. You don’t make the rules about what is acceptable to talk about in a thread.

C’mon man, do you really think there wouldn’t be backlash to this guy. He can post whatever he wants but the title of this thread is Session IPA Appreciation, he comes in bitching and whining. Nothing wrong with telling him to start his own thread to complain.