The Session IPA Appreciation Thread

Reads 14947 • Replies 245 • Started Monday, April 14, 2014 7:10:36 AM CT

The forums you're viewing are the static, archived version. You won't be able to post or reply here.
Our new, modern forums are here:
RateBeer Forums

Thread Frozen

Frank
beers 4561 º places 92 º 11:03 Sun 4/20/2014

I would appreciate if someone might point me towards some good UK golden ales that we can get in the US.

Also, this discussion seems to be oddly heated given we are only discussing beer styles. The supposed historic origins of all these styles tend to be just some marketing gibberish. Do we really think that imperial stouts we are making nowadays w/ heaps of coffee and aged in bourbon barrels resemble anything like what was shipped to the Russian imperial court or that IPAs resemble beers shipped around the horn of Africa a hundred years before the hop varieties used in them even existed? Perhaps session IPA is just supplanting the term golden ale. Doesn’t change how the beer tastes.

Gazza
beers 727 º places 167 º 11:05 Sun 4/20/2014

We’re not "bitching and whining", more just saying that we’ve been doing what you claim to have invented for years. Sorry if that comes across as whining.

craftycarl21
beers 2338 º places 93 º 11:16 Sun 4/20/2014

Not that it hasn’t been riveting to watch people go back and forth over a trivial distinction, but...

I can’t even express to you what I would give to have HF Walden available regularly. That beer totally deserves the top spot in the Session IPA category.

CLevar
places 23 º 11:20 Sun 4/20/2014

Originally posted by Gazza
We’re not "bitching and whining", more just saying that we’ve been doing what you claim to have invented for years. Sorry if that comes across as whining.

Ummmm...please point me to the post that says that "we" invented this "style". I can point out at least one that says exactly the opposite, but I’m willing to hear what you have to say.

joeneugs
beers 6372 º places 240 º 11:22 Sun 4/20/2014

I tried Fyne Ales Yarl recently. Picked it up at a grocery store in Berkeley. It was very nice. Session IPA’s rule!

drowland
beers 11069 º places 430 º 11:25 Sun 4/20/2014

Originally posted by pepsican
All golden ales you are searching = high beta, low alpha, highly carbonated, sub 5% abv or is this trying to show an example of something that is not like another thing?

Still can’t seem to receive an answer to this.

FatPhil
beers 26061 º places 995 º 11:25 Sun 4/20/2014

Originally posted by pepsican
All golden ales you are searching = high beta, low alpha, highly carbonated, sub 5% abv or is this trying to show an example of something that is not like another thing?

They are basically like the All Day IPA I just had. Or should I say that the All Day IPA I just had was just like the (better examples of the) class of beers which I would expect to be found by the search that I did.

drowland
beers 11069 º places 430 º 11:26 Sun 4/20/2014

Well there we go, I suppose.

drowland
beers 11069 º places 430 º 11:27 Sun 4/20/2014

Originally posted by FatPhil

Advanced Search for Golden Ales in England: 100 results takes us to:
Acorn Blonde

Advanced Search for Session IPA in USA: 100 results takes us to:
Cascade Lil’ Big Red IPA

If you can’t deduce that the UK is brewing vastly more of that style than the US is, then, quite frankly, you’re just plain stupid.

Of course, that was just England on its own - how about Scotland?

Advanced Search for Golden Ales in Scotland: 100 results takes us to:
Caledonian Great Scot

The conclusion from that is that it’s highly likely that Scotland (with 1/60th the population of the USA) *on its own* is brewing more of the style than the US.

You really are the mosquitos floating down the river on thier backs with a hard-on whining "raise the drawbridge, raise the drawbridge".

Big surprise that there are more entries for a style that has existed on this site for years as opposed to months. Kind of a moot point if you ask me.

And I would guess that many, many of those listed in the "Golden Ale" style do not fit what we Americans are coming to know as Session IPAs.

crossovert
beers 17165 º places 150 º 11:29 Sun 4/20/2014

Originally posted by Gazza

But no one is saying they invented anything, the thread is about appreciation of these beers.