RateBeer
home Home > Forums >
Food and Beer | Beer Talk | Site News | Beer Trade | Beer Travel | For Sale | New Here | Homebrew | Non-US | Industry | OT - Lite | OT - Medium

This beer is too weak for this food.

read 682 times • 11 replies • posted 6/14/2013 9:02:48 AM

Thread Frozen
Page 1 | 2

pinkie 457:10
Have you ever paired a beer with food only to find that the beer was too weak and couldnít stand up to the food you were serving?

Today I put Southern Tier Hop Sun with gingered beef with scallions and it was lost. Just not strong enough. I thought the lemon in hop sun would be palate cleansing and contrast to the lack of lemon in the dish because usually you put lemon with ginger.

Private message Send the author a private message

premium
admin
Danko
I tend to see a lot of pairings the other way around, i.e. people pair an overly rich in taste beer with more sublimely tasting food.
6/14/2013 9:14:29 AM

Private message send the author a private message

premium
StefanSD 2085:45
I paired a Saison with roast turkey one thanksgiving and the turkey overpowered the Saison. Iím back to the drawing board on what to pair with turkey.
6/14/2013 7:48:49 PM

premium
RABinCO 1157:70
Originally posted by StefanSD
I paired a Saison with roast turkey one thanksgiving and the turkey overpowered the Saison. Iím back to the drawing board on what to pair with turkey.

turkey-aged stouts.
6/14/2013 7:59:29 PM

premium
Cletus 6354:233
My latest was trying to pair Mariage Parfait with raw littlenecks. I thought the briny sea taste would compliment the gentle farmhouse funk of the beer well. I was wrong.
6/14/2013 8:07:16 PM

premium
Cletus 6354:233

Iíve had success with both pumpkin beers and some of the sweeter oktoberfests.
6/14/2013 8:08:37 PM

premium
Alen
I pretty much never pair a decent beer w/ food. Even if the combo works out very well, I still prefer to eat my food on its own and drink the beer separately, usually before I start a meal.
6/14/2013 9:15:33 PM

premium
errantnight
Originally posted by Danko
I tend to see a lot of pairings the other way around, i.e. people pair an overly rich in taste beer with more sublimely tasting food.

This
6/14/2013 9:19:00 PM

premium
Originally posted by RABinVA

turkey-aged stouts.

I need to get some De Molen Hel & Verdoemenis Wild Turkey booze. That might be worth a try.
6/15/2013 7:45:11 AM

pinkie 457:10
Roasted turkey bird goes really well with good beaujolias cru. I am thinking a more easy drinker for turkey like an english pale or english bitter?
6/15/2013 7:50:09 AM

premium
Originally posted by pinkie
Roasted turkey bird goes really well with good beaujolias cru. I am thinking a more easy drinker for turkey like an english pale or english bitter?

A nice fresh Beaujolais sounds like a good choice.

I think that the problem I have pairing for this meal is the overall richness of the whole. Lots of tasty sides. My stuffing includes sage sausage, walnuts and pecans. The cranberries are fresh and somewhat citric. The mashed potatoes include roasted garlic and heavy cream. The gravy is made from scratch from the pan drippings using double rich beef stock instead of water. Its fun stuff, but its tough to pair with beer, Iíve had better luck with red wines.
6/15/2013 8:23:42 AM

Home > Forums > Food and Beer

Page 1 | 2

Food, Beer Recipes

Copyright © 2000-2014,
RateBeer LLC. All rights
reserved.
about us
About RateBeer
FAQ
Contact/Feedback