Thomas Hardy Ale

Reads 2520 • Replies 22 • Started Wednesday, July 16, 2014 10:19:26 PM CT

The forums you're viewing are the static, archived version. You won't be able to post or reply here.
Our new, modern forums are here:
RateBeer Forums

Thread Frozen

OKBeerFan
beers 67 º places 1 º 22:19 Wed 7/16/2014

I'm wanting to seek out a 1978 bottle for my upcoming birthday. Can anyone tell me is this worth seeking out? Or should I seek out a different brew?

Cheers!

Matt

---Posted via Beer Buddy for iPhone

puzzl
beers 3258 º places 138 º 23:02 Wed 7/16/2014

Hell yeah it’s worth seeking out. There is no beer on the planet that ages better than Hardy’s.

fiulijn
beers 28318 º places 745 º 00:03 Thu 7/17/2014

Indeed they age well, but you are looking at a 36 years old bottle, and that’s a bit too much.
I had a 1977 last year and although it was a good beer, it was definitively not at its peak: http://www.ratebeer.com/beer/beer_name/999/1786/

After so many years, your bottle may be better or may be worse than mine.

I suggest that you try a younger vintage first, to know what you are going to drink.
And when you open yours, you should drink it slowly and watch it develop aromas and flavor (I once used one hour to drink a 33cl bottle).

Leighton
beers 33714 º places 1204 º 01:37 Thu 7/17/2014

Just post an ISO: 1978 Thomas Hardy’s and see what happens. Yes, it will be difficult to track down such an old bottle, but this is one of the only beers that people have collected over the last few decades (i.e. before the modern cellaring craze) so there are bottles of most vintages somewhere out there; the issue is finding the one you want.

If you really want the 1978, I would suggest throwing out as many lines as possible by posting trade ISOs on RB, BA, Facebook, and anything else you can think of.

Is it worth the effort? Opinions will obviously vary. If you just want to try an old Thomas Hardy’s then just post an ISO for that. Thomas Hardy’s is one of the only beers around where you can find a vintage that’s pre-1990 and it is fun and educational to try old/ very old beer. But the effort involved with tracking down a specific vintage, such as your 1978, might be more effort than it’s worth.

HaStuMiteZen99
beers 1111 º places 27 º 01:46 Thu 7/17/2014

Definitely worth seeking out. I agree that they age extremely well, under the right circumstances, but at 36 years old, it will have to have spent its whole life in a cold cellar. Even well-stored, it will be past its prime, for my tastes (my favourite is 5-10 years). But there are plenty of people who like heavily-aged beers who would disagree.

If it’s spent its life on display on someone’s shelf, it will probably be a horrendous marmitey mess.

There’s a guy who sells (or at least used to sell) a fair amount on ebay. He’s English and used to have a separate website too, though I can’t find it right now. He used to cellar it properly and the few bottles I got from him were good. I can’t find him googling right now, but it’s definitely worth trying to get your bottle from someone who knows their stuff, rather than a random ebay bottle which could have been stored on top of a radiator.

If you’re set on something from 1978 for your birthday, Thomas Hardys is definitely one of the few beers of that age that has a hope of being drinkable. Others are Bass no. 1 Barley Wine, Gale’s Prize Old Ale, Courage Russian Imperial Stout and whatever Belgian lambic (or sour brown ale for that matter) from that year that you get get your hands on - acidity is definitely your friend at this age.

HaStuMiteZen99
beers 1111 º places 27 º 02:03 Thu 7/17/2014

Relatedly, I REALLY hope a competent brewer gets this up and going again. I absolutely love this beer, both Eldridge Pope and O’Hanlons. I even liked it fresh. I was gutted when they stopped making it.

chriso
beers 7540 º places 736 º 04:01 Thu 7/17/2014

Originally posted by GarethYoung
There’s a guy who sells (or at least used to sell) a fair amount on ebay. He’s English and used to have a separate website too, though I can’t find it right now. He used to cellar it properly and the few bottles I got from him were good.

That would probably be Steve Hannigan
http://www.thomashardysale.org.uk/

HaStuMiteZen99
beers 1111 º places 27 º 04:51 Thu 7/17/2014

Originally posted by chriso
There’s a guy who sells (or at least used to sell) a fair amount on ebay. He’s English and used to have a separate website too, though I can’t find it right now. He used to cellar it properly and the few bottles I got from him were good.

I thought that might be the site, but it looks a little different than I remember and, from a brief scan admittedly, doesn’t seem to be advertising the bottles as for sale. If he’s still selling them, though, this is probably the guy to contact.

Bitterbill
beers 3241 º places 25 º 04:58 Thu 7/17/2014

These guys sell TH though they don’t seem to have any currently:
http://www.wessex-homebrew.co.uk/vintage.sealed.bottles.p2.html

chriso
beers 7540 º places 736 º 05:35 Thu 7/17/2014

Originally posted by chriso

I thought that might be the site, but it looks a little different than I remember and, from a brief scan admittedly, doesn’t seem to be advertising the bottles as for sale. If he’s still selling them, though, this is probably the guy to contact.

I haven’t seen Steve for a while so don’t know whether he’s still selling Thomas Hardys.

OKBeerFan
beers 67 º places 1 º 11:51 Thu 7/17/2014

Thank you all for the suggestions and comments. Now I'll have to figure out what route I will take.
Cheers!

---Posted via Beer Buddy for iPhone