Thoughts on marshmallows

Reads 2461 • Replies 12 • Started Monday, March 19, 2012 12:47:13 PM CT

The forums you're viewing are the static, archived version. You won't be able to post or reply here.
Our new, modern forums are here:
RateBeer Forums

Thread Frozen

JW77
beers 22 º 12:47 Mon 3/19/2012

Tossing around the idea of doing a S’mores stout. But have no idea how the marshmallows would affect the brew whether thrown in during mash or can they be used in secondary. Also how about graham crackers- secondary or mash? Any help out there?

HornyDevil
13:03 Mon 3/19/2012

Seeing as plain marshmallows are just sugar/corn syrup, water, gelatin, and dextrose there is no reason that you can’t use them in your secondary. Using them in the mash would be pretty messy. However, marshmallows are all about the shape and texture, which you will lose via fermentation, so it’s not going to translate into your finished beer. Graham crackers are wheat flour, whole grain wheat flour, sugar, soybean or cottonseed oil, honey, baking soda, salt, flavoring, soy lecithin, and cornstarch, so, again, there is no reason that you can’t use them. Putting them in the mash would probably be the best, but I doubt you’d get any character from them. Did a similar experiment with hard pretzels in a Hefeweizen. Was a tasty beer, but no pretzel characteristics came through in the finished product.

NobleSquirrel
beers 3437 º places 209 º 14:04 Mon 3/19/2012

You could try making a braggot with Meadowfoam honey, which has a marshmallow flavor to it...

dionysus
beers 1488 º places 11 º 14:16 Mon 3/19/2012

Meadowfoam honey is delicious. Shorts did a smore stout that sounded great in theory, but didn’t translate out too well. I swear there were chunks of graham cracker floating in it.

HornyDevil
14:22 Mon 3/19/2012

Originally posted by NobleSquirrel
You could try making a braggot with Meadowfoam honey, which has a marshmallow flavor to it...

I’ve been interested in that honey for some time, but have yet to use it. Anyone know if that flavor comes through post-fermentation?

NobleSquirrel
beers 3437 º places 209 º 14:39 Mon 3/19/2012

Originally posted by HornyDevil
Originally posted by NobleSquirrel

I’ve been interested in that honey for some time, but have yet to use it. Anyone know if that flavor comes through post-fermentation?

Yeah, a friend of mine has won a couple of first place medals for Meadowfoam mead. Definitely maintains the character. I think the key with maintaining the floral character is to use a light yeast that ferments clean. I’d probably suggest making a sack mead and then blending that in with a chocolate & graham cracker stout. The honey notes will kind of accentuate the graham cracker notes as well. Just a thought.

tronraner
beers 2459 º places 109 º 16:33 Mon 3/19/2012

S’mores are entirely about texture. You could make a beer that tastes identical and it just won’t be the same. That being said, I second NobleSquirrel’s blending idea for the flavor.

MuertosPorter
beers 24 º places 1 º 17:29 Mon 3/19/2012

The Bruery once did a S’mores variation of Chocolate Rain. It was served from a firkin, with if I remember correctly, had 2 lbs of marshmallow, 2 lbs of chocolate, and 1 lb of graham cracker. It tasted very much like a booze soaked S’more. It was pretty intense, but also very good.

SudsMcDuff
beers 8597 º places 190 º 17:49 Mon 3/19/2012

Originally posted by MuertosPorter
The Bruery once did a S’mores variation of Chocolate Rain. It was served from a firkin, with if I remember correctly, had 2 lbs of marshmallow, 2 lbs of chocolate, and 1 lb of graham cracker. It tasted very much like a booze soaked S’more. It was pretty intense, but also very good.

was it brewed with those ingredients or just stuffed into the firkin?

TheGuy
beers 653 º places 26 º 17:56 Mon 3/19/2012

Don’t forget to toast them first YUM

drowland
beers 11069 º places 430 º 18:12 Mon 3/19/2012

I was going to also add that toasting the marshmallows may be helpful as well.

Homebrew Shops - A collection of homebrew shops and supply houses submitted by RateBeer readers

Homebrewing Articles - RateBeer Magazine's homebrewing department

Homebrew Recipes - Experiment, share and post your own homebrew recipes

Until we can make beer come out of your monitor...

Beer2Buds
Send Beer Over The Net

Free signup now. Even out a trade, keep good vibes alive, say hi with a beer