Three 1-gallons or one 5-gallon

Reads 493 • Replies 5 • Started Wednesday, September 05, 2012 4:31:06 PM CT

Thread Frozen

sharpe1987
beers 8 º 16:31 Wed 9/5/2012

Two questions:
One, Im brewing a three gallon batch tonight. Would it be a bad idea to ferment three gallons or so in a five gallon carboy? My other option is to use three 1 gallon Demi johns which tend to pop off stoppers at high krausen because of their size. It also makes it harder to pitch the yeast from one vial evenly

Second question, I have a vial of white labs yeast. Would I be way over pitching using all the yeast on only three questions?

Cheers

Unclerudy
beers 12 º places 3 º 16:46 Wed 9/5/2012

I prefer a five gallon carboy. Give you enough room, and the yeast evens everything out. You get a better ferment when the test goes through a whole give stage life cycle..

SpringsLicker
beers 3372 º places 141 º 16:50 Wed 9/5/2012

1) No problems with a 3 gallon batch in a 5 gallon carboy.

2) No, I donít think youíll be over pitching; if anything by not making a starter, you may still be a bit under. Always make a starter, youíll ferment faster, cleaner and have better results overall.

sharpe1987
beers 8 º 18:13 Wed 9/5/2012

Thanks for the replies. I kind of figured the yeast wouldnít mind the extra oxygen in the headspace and would form enough CO2 to push all the excess oxygen out. Just needed some confirmation from others

bitbucket
beers 2164 º places 63 º 09:25 Thu 9/6/2012

Originally posted by sharpe1987
1 gallon Demi johns which tend to pop off stoppers at high krausen because of their size. It also makes it harder to pitch the yeast from one vial evenly

Yep.

BMan1113VR
beers 7914 º places 422 º 22:16 Sun 9/9/2012

Originally posted by SpringsLicker
1) No problems with a 3 gallon batch in a 5 gallon carboy.

2) No, I donít think youíll be over pitching; if anything by not making a starter, you may still be a bit under. Always make a starter, youíll ferment faster, cleaner and have better results overall.
This...

Unless you plan on aging the beer for a long time in the 5 gal carboy, you will be fine using it for 3 gal.

Homebrew Shops - A collection of homebrew shops and supply houses submitted by RateBeer readers

Homebrewing Articles - RateBeer Magazine's homebrewing department

Homebrew Recipes - Experiment, share and post your own homebrew recipes

Until we can make beer come out of your monitor...

Beer2Buds
Send Beer Over The Net

Free signup now. Even out a trade, keep good vibes alive, say hi with a beer