RateBeer
home Home > Forums >
Beer Travel | Beer Talk | Site News | Beer Trade | Food/Beer | For Sale | New Here | Homebrew | Non-US | Industry | OT - Lite | OT - Medium

Time to explore Europes Beer

read 1011 times • 24 replies • posted 6/11/2013 10:38:10 AM

Thread Frozen
Page 1 | 2 | 3

AlexMenary
Hello All,

I should start by saying that I am Canadian and have never traveled to Europe before so I am brand new to this.

I am going to Brewlab in Sunderland England in March for the 9 week brewing program. In the middle of the 9 weeks, there are two weeks off and I plan to spend at least some of the time traveling around and checking out new local beers. I think I would like to go to Belgium since I am a fan of a lot of the Belgium beers (and who isnít really). Does anyone out there have an opinion about the best way to get from Sunderland to Belgium, and where the best city to go in Belgium would be? Would it be best to rent a car and drive or do you think I should just fly or take the train?

Also what would people recommend as far as cities in England that are good to go to while Iím there? What about specific bars and beer stores that I should go to while I am in England.

Thanks for any input that you guys have.

Alex
Private message Send the author a private message

premium
JoeinEscazķ 1325:278
March 2014? Next Good Beer Guide Belgium will be out by then.

Trains to London, Eurostar to Brussels. Because, London.

Or there is a ferry from Newcastle that would get you to Amsterdam, and you could train to Belgium from there. Because, Amsterdam.
6/11/2013 10:50:31 AM

Private message send the author a private message

TAR 2410:27
Skip England and explore Franconia and fall in love with kellerbier, instead.

Here is why:
http://www.ratebeer.com/Beer-News/Article-750.htm

6/11/2013 11:02:02 AM

premium
Theydon_Bois 6994:553
Originally posted by TAR

Here is why:
http://www.ratebeer.com/Beer-News/Article-750.htm

Yeah - skip England the beers shit there
6/11/2013 11:24:34 AM

Gazza 726:163
Originally posted by TAR

Or you could stay in England and have beer thatís not full of diacetyl and/or overattenuated.... (usually)
6/11/2013 11:25:55 AM

McWorta 478:106
Car gets you more freedom and flexibility. Plenty of good places already rated here so maybe if you consider as a a break from your course to visit some places and then look up what beers/breweries/beer places are existing there. England has some nice countryside pubs and grubs too, depends all a bit what you intend to see.
6/11/2013 11:28:56 AM

premium
Beersiveknown 2473:64
Plenty in the UK, being based in Sunderland you can spend a weekend in Edinburgh fairly easily and get trains to all the good beer cities in north of England. Well worth getting to London too. Flights may work out cheaper than ferry but car handier to get place to place especially if planning on visiting lambic/trappist brewers. Can also visit Netherlands fairly easily. Plenty of stuff to keep you happily beered up
6/11/2013 12:17:29 PM

AlexMenary
Thanks for the replies. I do plan to spend a lot of time in England obviously, since that is where my school is.

I am planning to go to London at some point also. I have been thinking London on my way to Belgium to go to maybe Brugge. Are there good places to visit in Brugge?

I donít think I will make it over to Germany as it is farther than I would likely want to travel. And to be honest I am more of an English and Belgian beer guy over a German beer guy.
6/11/2013 12:19:18 PM

konstifik 573:36
So "Time to epxlore Europes beer" really means "Time to explore beers in the UK and Belgium"? ;)

In Belgium you can easily visit places like the Kulminator, DHVL, Cantillon, Drie Fonteinen, Delirium Cafť, Moeder Lambic etc with public transport. No need for a car unless you want to go to places like the trappist breweries.
6/11/2013 12:37:05 PM

premium
chriso 7344:356
Originally posted by AlexMenary
I am going to Brewlab in Sunderland England in March for the 9 week brewing program. In the middle of the 9 weeks, there are two weeks off and I plan to spend at least some of the time traveling around and checking out new local beers.

I presume the course isnít 7 days a week? If so, youíll have weekends to look at some places in the UK. Most major cities are within easy reach by train for a weekend. Many for a day trip. Be warned though, train tickets can be very cheap if you are prepared to tie yourself to specific train departures AND book well in advance, but very expensive if you pay on the day. Not so bad if itís a day trip as you can buy a cheap day return, often for not much more than an advance ticket. But, if you are leaving on one day and coming back on another youíre going to get stung if you donít book in advance.
6/11/2013 12:49:50 PM

AlexMenary
Originally posted by konstifik
So "Time to epxlore Europes beer" really means "Time to explore beers in the UK and Belgium"? ;)

In Belgium you can easily visit places like the Kulminator, DHVL, Cantillon, Drie Fonteinen, Delirium Cafť, Moeder Lambic etc with public transport. No need for a car unless you want to go to places like the trappist breweries.

Haha ya to some extent that is what I mean. I donít want to spend a ton of cash getting around Europe, so really I will likely stick to the UK and Belgium.
6/11/2013 12:56:04 PM

Home > Forums > Beer Travel

Page 1 | 2 | 3
Copyright © 2000-2014,
RateBeer LLC. All rights
reserved.
about us
About RateBeer
FAQ
Contact/Feedback
New Beers