Tired Hands - Blinded by the Light that Spills

Reads 4747 • Replies 72 • Started Tuesday, March 19, 2013 9:54:40 PM CT

The forums you're viewing are the static, archived version. You won't be able to post or reply here.
Our new, modern forums are here:
RateBeer Forums

Thread Frozen

GT
beers 10001 º places 672 º 13:55 Wed 3/20/2013

Originally posted by hopscotch
Actually, the thread was more about skewed statistics, people actually tasting the rareness, and finally, rating American Pale Ales and Blonde Ales artificially high because it’s the muppet/hipster movement of the month.

The movement to sessionable beer that is refreshing, bright, and delicate? That is really the movement behind every new trend now from lager only breweries, better quality pilsners, low abv IPAs. It is certainly not just one small thing. It is a major thing and a good thing.

Second, this beer could not possibly benefit from its rareness because the beer has no score yet. It is BRAND NEW! How can a beer be a rare whale the moment it comes out with no reviews? 10-15 people rated in over the course of 5 days without talking to eachother and loved it. It is not available now so could not have been traded much, and if so, no one auctioned off their growler of Light That Spills for rare Cantillon because it has no reputation yet and no hype. I bet most people who got this in the mail, of which was probably less than 10-20, did not trade big for it. So why would there be an incentive to whale hype this beer? In fact, there is an incentive to score it lowly because it has no rare status.

The fact that some of these Tired Hands and Hill Farmstead beers score so highly so fast is because they are actually that good. They are the top breweries right now in my book. And if they made a flop, I’d be the first to say so. Not everything from Jean has been amazing. But Light that Spills certainly is. I’ve had 40 some beers from them and the best have been HeavenDream and Light that Spills, HandFarm, and Lil Lady. That says a lot.

I’m not saying you have to like the beer, that would be ridiculous. I am saying that this is definitely a legit beer from a legit brewery and its score cannot be seen as BS. Hell, I drive almost twice a month to TH to try their stuff all the way from DC. And so does jredmond from NYC.

These aren’t just the people who live next door, their brewery quality is pilgrimage worthy.

Jean will tell you what he told me, and that is if I really want to appreciate the beer, I need to come to the brewery and have it fresh. Before, I was like you and about to write them off as all hype. It is well known that they don’t CP fill their growlers and the carbonation level tapers off dramatically after only 3 days in the 64oz growlers. Now that they have switched to flip-tops, they have been holding up a lot better but will still oxidize a bit.

hopscotch
beers 11919 º places 307 º 15:23 Wed 3/20/2013

Originally posted by GT2
The movement to sessionable beer that is refreshing, bright, and delicate? That is really the movement behind every new trend now from lager only breweries, better quality pilsners, low abv IPAs. It is certainly not just one small thing. It is a major thing and a good thing.

Second, this beer could not possibly benefit from its rareness because the beer has no score yet. It is BRAND NEW! How can a beer be a rare whale the moment it comes out with no reviews? 10-15 people rated in over the course of 5 days without talking to eachother and loved it. It is not available now so could not have been traded much, and if so, no one auctioned off their growler of Light That Spills for rare Cantillon because it has no reputation yet and no hype.

Hey GT. I want to read more (and will), but I’m on my way out the door. I do want to clear something up.

I was not trying to imply that people were rating Light that Spills so highly to increase its trade value. Absolutely not... and I’m sorry if it came across that way.

Some of the folks who have rated Light that Spills live far away from the east coast, so higher ratings wouldn’t benefit them. Well, there’s always a benefit in rating any beer highly such as feeling as though you got your money’s worth in a trade, feeling as if you just drank a fantastic beer than precious few will ever have the chance to try and a boatload of other intangibles.

Heck, if a rater was on a quest to push every beer they rate into the RB Top Fifty in order to be listed highly on the Top Fifty Beers Rated list, I suppose that could be considered a tangible or intangible benefit; however, I’m also not implying that those who have rated Light that Spills so highly aspire to attain that goal.

I was simply referring to the fact that it is now very "in-vogue" to romanticize lower abv, sessionable beers. Whether it’s a trend, movement or fad will only be revealed in time - say, three to five years down the road. Just as it’s now "in-vogue" to slam bigger beers just for being big. Flawless? Doesn’t matter. It’s big, so the brewer must be hiding something.

More later if I missed something important in the second half of your post.

FrumptyDumpty
15:37 Wed 3/20/2013

You every think it has nothing to do with it being "in vouge" and more to do with not every needs to have their tounge hit with a hammer to be able to find flavor in a beer? I have had pilsners,English Golden ales, milds I would be more then happy to hand a 5 to if I rated. Also I think the fad was more making super octane beers and not worring about balance.

j12601
beers 14608 º places 583 º 15:42 Wed 3/20/2013

Originally posted by GT2

Second, this beer could not possibly benefit from its rareness because the beer has no score yet. It is BRAND NEW! How can a beer be a rare whale the moment it comes out with no reviews? 10-15 people rated in over the course of 5 days without talking to eachother and loved it. It is not available now so could not have been traded much, and if so, no one auctioned off their growler of Light That Spills for rare Cantillon because it has no reputation yet and no hype.

Hey GT. I want to read more (and will), but I’m on my way out the door. I do want to clear something up.

I was not trying to imply that people were rating Light that Spills so highly to increase its trade value. Absolutely not... and I’m sorry if it came across that way.

Some of the folks who have rated Light that Spills live far away from the east coast, so higher ratings wouldn’t benefit them. Well, there’s always a benefit in rating any beer highly such as feeling as though you got your money’s worth in a trade, feeling as if you just drank a fantastic beer than precious few will ever have the chance to try and a boatload of other intangibles.

Heck, if a rater was on a quest to push every beer they rate into the RB Top Fifty in order to be listed highly on the Top Fifty Beers Rated list, I suppose that could be considered a tangible or intangible benefit; however, I’m also not implying that those who have rated Light that Spills so highly aspire to attain that goal.

I was simply referring to the fact that it is now very "in-vogue" to romanticize lower abv, sessionable beers. Whether it’s a trend, movement or fad will only be revealed in time - say, three to five years down the road. Just as it’s now "in-vogue" to slam bigger beers just for being big. Flawless? Doesn’t matter. It’s big, so the brewer must be hiding something.

More later if I missed something important in the second half of your post.

::puts on troll robes and troll hat::

In the time it took you to type all of that, you could have read the second half of Das Geeter’s post.

Now, that said, I haven’t yet had this beer. I’ve had a few of Jean’s commercial beers (and some of his homebrew before he finally got TH open), and have honestly loved everything I’ve had by him. So I’m probably biased.

In conclusion, I have nothing significant to contribute to this conversation. And Libya is a land of contrast.

j12601
beers 14608 º places 583 º 15:44 Wed 3/20/2013

Originally posted by FrumptyDumpty
You every think it has nothing to do with it being "in vouge" and more to do with not every needs to have their tounge hit with a hammer to be able to find flavor in a beer? I have had pilsners,English Golden ales, milds I would be more then happy to hand a 5 to if I rated. Also I think the fad was more making super octane beers and not worring about balance.

The new fad is hating the old fad.

Fuckit, fanny packs are back!

Ernesto987
beers 6082 º places 104 º 15:46 Wed 3/20/2013

I love sessionable a cuz big beerz make me fat

SudsMcDuff
beers 8597 º places 190 º 15:57 Wed 3/20/2013

i like how you used the word muppet. very humorous.

TURDFERGUSON
beers 4067 º places 154 º 16:08 Wed 3/20/2013

I win this thread. Everything after is extra credit.

notalush
beers 7118 º places 452 º 16:12 Wed 3/20/2013

That’s just, like, your opinion, man.

radarsock
beers 1226 º places 112 º 16:25 Wed 3/20/2013

Originally posted by daknole
Nice trolling effort Eric. Weak sauce.

Of course it’s weak sauce, Dak. I’m normally the guy who questions threads like this. I’m the one who asks "Why don’t you just rate the freaking beer and move on. Why the hate thread?" Nope, I try to shut these down... and I’ve been pretty effective on several occasions.

I wanted to try something new. I’m always Mr. Nice Guy. I wanted to be the asshole for a change. See what it feels like. Mission accomplished. One more item off my bucket list.

Still, everybody, get back to me on down the road. If there are further releases of this beer and enough ratings are entered, it’s average will be no higher than a 3.7 a year from now... a 3.6 two years from now. Jot that down.

This is one of the stupidest, most meaningless threads I’ve read in a long while, and it’s mostly that the OP seems to be dead serious what he’s saying. This is a prime reason skipping the forums is a good idea. For one, you have all of these highly opinionated Ratebeer veterans; if you disagree with any of their topics, good luck!

But I’m not so sure. I think it was rated highly because people liked it. God forbid that actually were to happen.
Kind of confused honestly. You didn’t like a beer, thought there was lots of hype surrounding it, then made a thread about all that...? Okay? Wouldn’t it be easier to just ask people what they thought of it? You could have said how you disliked it, and wondered what people’s thoughts were, but to get all worked up over its mean score to me is just strange. There are plenty of overrated beers on the database -- why not make a thread for each and every one of them declaring that they are undrinkable? You know why not, because not everyone is going to agree with you. I’d like to try this beer truthfully. I almost never listen to what people express about beer scores these days. I’ll try anything once.