RateBeer
home Home > Forums >
Homebrew | Beer Talk | Site News | Beer Trade | Beer Travel | Food/Beer | For Sale | New Here | Non-US | Industry | OT - Lite | OT - Medium

too much malic acid

read 729 times • 10 replies • posted 8/7/2012 12:17:26 PM

Thread Frozen

Unclerudy 12:3
I made a new England style cider, and it seems to have too much malic acid. It is currently in a five gallon bourbon barrel adding right now. Plan on having it be in there for about four months, so i have another two to go. How do i reduce the acid in it? And not ruin five gallons of cider?
Private message Send the author a private message

OldSock
Havenít tried used it, but this is why malolactic bacteria is added to some wines: http://www.lalvinyeast.com/bacteria.asp it will convert malic to lactic, softening the acid profile
8/7/2012 12:25:28 PM

Private message send the author a private message

premium
NobleSquirrel 3437:209
Are you sure itís mallic acid? You can also consider adjusting with minerals as well to balance the pH...
8/7/2012 1:03:28 PM

premium
bierkitty 158:13
Bottle it and let it go for about 6 more mos. I thought every cider we made was bad in the beginning but they just tend to loose the sharp edge after a few months. Well, except for the one I made last year with way too many dried currents. The jury is still out on that one.
8/7/2012 3:09:07 PM

Unclerudy 12:3
Should i carb it? Or just leave it still? What are peoples thoughts on that for a new England style cider?
8/7/2012 6:35:26 PM

premium
bitbucket 2159:63
Time cures many things. Sharp acidity is one of them.
8/7/2012 8:22:10 PM

premium
Originally posted by Unclerudy
Should i carb it? Or just leave it still? What are peoples thoughts on that for a new England style cider?

Whatís the sweetness level of it? Your best bet would be to taste it still, petillant & sparkling to see what is the best. You can easily do that with a carbonator cap in a 1 liter soda bottle.
8/8/2012 7:32:14 AM

premium
t0rin0 62:1330
Originally posted by OldSock
Havenít tried used it, but this is why malolactic bacteria is added to some wines: http://www.lalvinyeast.com/bacteria.asp it will convert malic to lactic, softening the acid profile

Iíve read that that stuff will throw off diacetyl in the process. Is that true?
8/8/2012 7:51:47 AM

OldSock
Originally posted by t0rin0

I have read the same thing, not sure how much though. You could always pitch some fresh yeast and hope that natural conditioning would clean it up.
8/9/2012 6:32:05 AM

premium

I have read the same thing, not sure how much though. You could always pitch some fresh yeast and hope that natural conditioning would clean it up.

Will fresh yeast clean it up? I was thinking if he brewed a second cider and essentially kršusened it that it would work, but not just fresh yeast.
8/9/2012 7:50:23 AM

premium
t0rin0 62:1330

This is one place that I read it, but the White Labs page doesnt mention anything about diacetyl. I bought a vial of this stuff about 4 years ago from the Brueryís homebrew shop but never used it. Dont really feel like buying another one to find out if itís going to eff up my beer with a bunch of butter flavor.
8/9/2012 8:27:11 AM

Homebrew Shops - A collection of homebrew shops and supply houses submitted by RateBeer readers

Homebrewing Articles - RateBeer Magazine's homebrewing department

Homebrew Recipes - Experiment, share and post your own homebrew recipes

Until we can make beer come out of your monitor...

Beer2Buds
Send Beer Over The Net

Free signup now. Even out a trade, keep good vibes alive, say hi with a beer

Copyright © 2000-2014,
RateBeer LLC. All rights
reserved.
about us
About RateBeer
FAQ
Contact/Feedback
New Beers
add