RateBeer

setting up an intro to craft tasting

read 625 times • 18 replies •

Thread Frozen

jmagnus87
premium
beers 2912 º places 92 º 08:35 Thu 11/29/2012

I need some suggestions. My mom is going to do a wine tasting oover christmas for the ladies so i figure ill do a beer tasting. I think ill start with a light bmc (thats what most of my family drinks) and blow their minds at the end with a BCS. I just need to figure out what to put in the middle and what order. I think ill include a wheat and an ipa but im not sure. Id like to have 8-10 samples. Suggestions? Anyone have success with something like this before?

Trev
beers 2015 º places 24 º 08:49 Thu 11/29/2012

for easing macro drinkers in, I would think to keep it all simple.
Go with styles, and keep things available/local and not overly pricey. Stuff that these guys could walk down to the corner store , be able to find and not feel bad about dropping a lot of money on a 6 pack...
A good available Wheat/white, a Pale Ale, Pilsner, Dark Lager/Dunkle/Bock, Porter/Stout.
Ramp flavours up from lightest to richest. So pretty much that order...wheat-pilsner/Pale Ale-Bock/Dunkle-IPA-Porter/Stout.

Maybe throw in a rauchbier or a winter spiced ale to make things more interesting/adventurous.

StefanSD
beers 2218 º places 45 º 08:51 Thu 11/29/2012

Never done this before, but Iíll take a stab at a line-up

BMC of choice
New Glarus Two women lager or Dancing man wheat
Bells Amber ale
Dupont Saison
St Bernard Prior 8
Rochfort 10
Alesmith Wee heavy
RR Blind pig
Southern Tier Creme brule
GI BCS

Steve_0
premium
beers 3424 º places 142 º 08:52 Thu 11/29/2012

A lot of my friends that are Macro drinkers donít mind drinking wheats, wits, ambers, and saisons. You can build their tastes up starting there and progressively choose beers with more and more flavors.

crosamich
beers 433 º places 17 º 09:04 Thu 11/29/2012

donít take it too seriously and whatever you do will be fine. If they are BMC drinkers keep in mind that BCS may be too "heavy" "thick" or a number of other descriptors for this crowd. You could be well-served by taking some common beers and comparing them to craft counterparts. Donít try to cover the entire spectrum of beers in one shot. Something like this helps to be able to demonstrate the differences that ingredients contribute to the final product.
canned bud light/miller vs one of the canned lagers like Avery or...canít think of anymore right now but they are out there.
Then move onto a nice pale ale that isnít an IPA in disguise. Follow this by some IPAs choosing very different aromatics and try to find ones with high aroma and lower bitterness.
- Green/piney/floral hops like Centennial, Nugget, columbus, chinook (Bellís 2-hearted)
- something with big fruity notes - there are so many
- maybe a 3rd with one of the new, funky hops like New Zealand stuff-Nelson Sauvin, Motueka if available.
you could go further into an American barleywine but that may be a bit robust for your crowd.
other commenters have already filled in other options. Keep in mind the differences between the beers when making your choices.
If moms is doing a wine tasting she will probably have cheese I imagine. Snag some of that and mix it in if you choose to go with some bigger beers, perhaps?

Benzai
premium
beers 10613 º places 172 º 09:07 Thu 11/29/2012

I would certainly include an easy obtainable, not too harsh IPA but I would never serve them BCS! From my experience when you do a tasting for macro drinkers, theyíll find a decent IPA tough and theyíll probably die if you give them BCS. Like others have said, try to keep it simple from your point of view, itíll be enough for them Iím sure. Good luck!

AnthonyMacchio
places 3 º 09:10 Thu 11/29/2012

Iíd say throw a NG Belgian Red in there. Thatís always a crowd pleaser. I find the whole Framboise style seems to blow the average beer drinkersí mind in general.

jmagnus87
premium
beers 2912 º places 92 º 11:24 Thu 11/29/2012

Thanks guys. Ill put a list together after work tonight and repost to get some more input

b3shine
premium
beers 6761 º places 293 º 11:26 Thu 11/29/2012

Originally posted by Benzai
I would certainly include an easy obtainable, not too harsh IPA but I would never serve them BCS! From my experience when you do a tasting for macro drinkers, theyíll find a decent IPA tough and theyíll probably die if you give them BCS. Like others have said, try to keep it simple from your point of view, itíll be enough for them Iím sure. Good luck!

This.

joet
premium
admin
beers 2408 º places 100 º 11:41 Thu 11/29/2012

Originally posted by AnthonyMacchio
Iíd say throw a NG Belgian Red in there. Thatís always a crowd pleaser. I find the whole Framboise style seems to blow the average beer drinkersí mind in general.

I was just going to add, no need to stay away from sweet and off-dry sours.

Add fruit and itís often more agreeable.

Strong chocolate and coffee flavors often work for foodies.

Generally, just put a whole lot out there. Let them know that itís about exploration and maybe even a challenge. Then you just have to trust that the strong, adventurous folks will find something they like and the more timid out there will be comfortable with your starter beers.

Nice topic! Best of luck!

joet
premium
admin
beers 2408 º places 100 º 12:07 Thu 11/29/2012

Btw, would love to hear how this goes.