RateBeer
home Home > Forums >
Beer Talk | Site News | Beer Trade | Beer Travel | Food/Beer | For Sale | New Here | Homebrew | Non-US | Industry | OT - Lite | OT - Medium

setting up an intro to craft tasting

read 567 times • 18 replies • posted 11/29/2012 8:35:11 AM

Thread Frozen
Page 1 | 2

premium
jmagnus87 2401:85
I need some suggestions. My mom is going to do a wine tasting oover christmas for the ladies so i figure ill do a beer tasting. I think ill start with a light bmc (thats what most of my family drinks) and blow their minds at the end with a BCS. I just need to figure out what to put in the middle and what order. I think ill include a wheat and an ipa but im not sure. Id like to have 8-10 samples. Suggestions? Anyone have success with something like this before?
Private message Send the author a private message

Trev 1890:16
for easing macro drinkers in, I would think to keep it all simple.
Go with styles, and keep things available/local and not overly pricey. Stuff that these guys could walk down to the corner store , be able to find and not feel bad about dropping a lot of money on a 6 pack...
A good available Wheat/white, a Pale Ale, Pilsner, Dark Lager/Dunkle/Bock, Porter/Stout.
Ramp flavours up from lightest to richest. So pretty much that order...wheat-pilsner/Pale Ale-Bock/Dunkle-IPA-Porter/Stout.

Maybe throw in a rauchbier or a winter spiced ale to make things more interesting/adventurous.
11/29/2012 8:49:54 AM

Private message send the author a private message

premium
StefanSD 2085:45
Never done this before, but Iíll take a stab at a line-up

BMC of choice
New Glarus Two women lager or Dancing man wheat
Bells Amber ale
Dupont Saison
St Bernard Prior 8
Rochfort 10
Alesmith Wee heavy
RR Blind pig
Southern Tier Creme brule
GI BCS
11/29/2012 8:51:16 AM

premium
Steve_0 2537:104
A lot of my friends that are Macro drinkers donít mind drinking wheats, wits, ambers, and saisons. You can build their tastes up starting there and progressively choose beers with more and more flavors.
11/29/2012 8:52:00 AM

crosamich 431:17
donít take it too seriously and whatever you do will be fine. If they are BMC drinkers keep in mind that BCS may be too "heavy" "thick" or a number of other descriptors for this crowd. You could be well-served by taking some common beers and comparing them to craft counterparts. Donít try to cover the entire spectrum of beers in one shot. Something like this helps to be able to demonstrate the differences that ingredients contribute to the final product.
canned bud light/miller vs one of the canned lagers like Avery or...canít think of anymore right now but they are out there.
Then move onto a nice pale ale that isnít an IPA in disguise. Follow this by some IPAs choosing very different aromatics and try to find ones with high aroma and lower bitterness.
- Green/piney/floral hops like Centennial, Nugget, columbus, chinook (Bellís 2-hearted)
- something with big fruity notes - there are so many
- maybe a 3rd with one of the new, funky hops like New Zealand stuff-Nelson Sauvin, Motueka if available.
you could go further into an American barleywine but that may be a bit robust for your crowd.
other commenters have already filled in other options. Keep in mind the differences between the beers when making your choices.
If moms is doing a wine tasting she will probably have cheese I imagine. Snag some of that and mix it in if you choose to go with some bigger beers, perhaps?
11/29/2012 9:04:18 AM

premium
Benzai 7301:116
I would certainly include an easy obtainable, not too harsh IPA but I would never serve them BCS! From my experience when you do a tasting for macro drinkers, theyíll find a decent IPA tough and theyíll probably die if you give them BCS. Like others have said, try to keep it simple from your point of view, itíll be enough for them Iím sure. Good luck!
11/29/2012 9:07:59 AM

AnthonyMacchio
Iíd say throw a NG Belgian Red in there. Thatís always a crowd pleaser. I find the whole Framboise style seems to blow the average beer drinkersí mind in general.
11/29/2012 9:10:51 AM

premium
jmagnus87 2401:85
Thanks guys. Ill put a list together after work tonight and repost to get some more input
11/29/2012 11:24:48 AM

premium
b3shine 5191:261
Originally posted by Benzai
I would certainly include an easy obtainable, not too harsh IPA but I would never serve them BCS! From my experience when you do a tasting for macro drinkers, theyíll find a decent IPA tough and theyíll probably die if you give them BCS. Like others have said, try to keep it simple from your point of view, itíll be enough for them Iím sure. Good luck!

This.
11/29/2012 11:26:34 AM

premium
admin
joet 2137:90
Originally posted by AnthonyMacchio
Iíd say throw a NG Belgian Red in there. Thatís always a crowd pleaser. I find the whole Framboise style seems to blow the average beer drinkersí mind in general.

I was just going to add, no need to stay away from sweet and off-dry sours.

Add fruit and itís often more agreeable.

Strong chocolate and coffee flavors often work for foodies.

Generally, just put a whole lot out there. Let them know that itís about exploration and maybe even a challenge. Then you just have to trust that the strong, adventurous folks will find something they like and the more timid out there will be comfortable with your starter beers.

Nice topic! Best of luck!
11/29/2012 11:41:37 AM

premium
admin
joet 2137:90
Btw, would love to hear how this goes.
11/29/2012 12:07:18 PM

Home > Forums > Beer Talk

Page 1 | 2
Copyright © 2000-2014,