Should be an off topic forum for non-premium members

Reads 3812 • Replies 51 • Started Saturday, January 26, 2013 2:15:36 PM CT

The forums you're viewing are the static, archived version. You won't be able to post or reply here.
Our new, modern forums are here:
RateBeer Forums

Thread Frozen

santabeer
beers 68 º places 9 º 14:15 Sat 1/26/2013

I do not understand that the membership only lasts for one year. I’m a member where I paid less, and it lasts for 10 years. How come this site is so expensive to run?

Be nice. I’m your friend.

Drake
admin
beers 21771 º places 1249 º 14:19 Sat 1/26/2013

$13 bucks a year isn’t much. That other site probably isn’t the best beer website on the internet, and their server demands are probably much lower.

If you don’t want to pony that up, that’s fine, but that doesn’t mean you are entitled to premium features for free, like the off-topic thread you posted I just moved to the off-topic forum where it belongs. If you want to read it, please feel free to go premium.

Indra
beers 2711 º places 78 º 14:21 Sat 1/26/2013

Expensive is a subjective term. To some folks, $1.08 per month is not a lot of money. To others, it is. If you can afford it, great. If not, you can still rate beers here without paying anything, which is still the primary purpose of the site.

santabeer
beers 68 º places 9 º 14:21 Sat 1/26/2013

I agree, it isn’t much to pay. I have to go premium now to read it. :)

javit
14:22 Sat 1/26/2013

I agree that there should be an off-topic for non paying members. I only ponied up so b3shine would recognize me as a legitimate member here. There are other beer forums though that have great off-topic sections for free.

It’s essentially a good 6-pack for a year’s membership.

JMerritt
places 72 º 14:24 Sat 1/26/2013

Hi, friend. It costs less than a single 12 pack of good beer to support this beer site for one year. It’s largely supported by volunteers. My take on it: if you can afford to buy craft beer, you can afford to support the premiere beer review website on the planet.
If, it’s too much for you, my condolences.
But know that you can access a majority of this site and review your favorite beers for free.

TheBeerSommelier
14:26 Sat 1/26/2013

OP - in honor of my 9th Anniversary here, I’ve got your premie covered.

Now, just to figure out to do that, exactly...

JMerritt
places 72 º 14:27 Sat 1/26/2013

Originally posted by javit
I agree that there should be an off-topic for non paying members. I only ponied up so b3shine would recognize me as a legitimate member here. There are other beer forums though that have great off-topic sections for free.

You can talk about beer on this beer website for 100% free. If you want to talk about anything else, there are about 1 million other forums on the Internet that are free as well.

Drake
admin
beers 21771 º places 1249 º 14:29 Sat 1/26/2013

Originally posted by TheBeerSommelier

OP - in honor of my 9th Anniversary here, I’ve got your premie covered.

Now, just to figure out to do that, exactly...

dmac
beers 6644 º places 35 º 14:30 Sat 1/26/2013

$13 a year is expensive??? Chop the lock off the wallet already, it’s not like you can take it with you when you die