RateBeer
home Home > Forums >
Beer Talk | Site News | Beer Trade | Beer Travel | Food/Beer | For Sale | New Here | Homebrew | Non-US | Industry | OT - Lite | OT - Medium

New to Sours

read 872 times • 22 replies • posted 1/29/2013 7:02:35 PM

Thread Frozen
Page 1 | 2 | 3

premium
BlowOffTube 435:2
I received a few sours as extras in a couple trades; one was The Lost Abbey Framboise Amorosa (donít have the bottle in front of me to get the spelling correct), and a RR Temptation.

First, never liked a sour. I did have one to experiment from Jolly Pumpkin and disliked it greatly (some kind of stout). Either way, my expectations were low, but to my surprise, after drinking the Temptation, is that I really wanted another. Got some Serendipity in the mail today, sipping on that; damn thatís pretty good. Havenít had the Framboise yet.

Iím sure there are many sours out there, but what others ones are similar to these?
Private message Send the author a private message

premium
jtclockwork 7898:154
Serendipity isnít a sour. Itís a fruit beer. There are a lot of different kinds of sours. I tend to prefer the soured golden ales and lighter sours that are less vinegar-like.
1/29/2013 7:05:40 PM

Private message send the author a private message

premium
MaltOMeal 1090:32
Temptation was the first sour i liked as well. It was my the one that turned the corner for me. Now i looove sours!
1/29/2013 7:07:53 PM

premium
Originally posted by jtclockwork
Serendipity isnít a sour. Itís a fruit beer. There are a lot of different kinds of sours. I tend to prefer the soured golden ales and lighter sours that are less vinegar-like.

Under title it says fruit ale, description says sour ale. Either way, I am enjoying it.
1/29/2013 7:10:03 PM

premium
jtclockwork 7898:154
Serendipity is a terrific beer. No doubt.
1/29/2013 7:19:19 PM

premium
bytemesis 2931:357
Temptation was my first as well. Great gateway sour. The lost abbey will be i bit more on the tart side.
1/29/2013 7:48:08 PM

premium
b3shine 5135:261
If youíre new to sours, give this one a try (itís a good transitional sour, and is available in most markets):

http://www.ratebeer.com/beer/verhaeghe-duchesse-de-bourgogne/6945/
1/29/2013 7:58:55 PM

HOPSHUNTER 742:33
Maybe not exactly what you were looking for but hereís a thread I started a long time ago when I started trying to get in to sours. Sours with Training Wheels. I can say that at least for me once I was in, I was in big, and it was Panil Barriquee that was the begining of the end for me.
1/29/2013 8:00:02 PM

premium
Originally posted by b3shine
If youíre new to sours, give this one a try (itís a good transitional sour, and is available in most markets):

http://www.ratebeer.com/beer/verhaeghe-duchesse-de-bourgogne/6945/

I actually have seen this at my local store and havenít pulled the trigger yet because of the price tag. Might give it a go for sure though. Cheers.

1/29/2013 8:23:19 PM

premium
Originally posted by HOPSHUNTER
Maybe not exactly what you were looking for but hereís a thread I started a long time ago when I started trying to get in to sours. Sours with Training Wheels. I can say that at least for me once I was in, I was in big, and it was Panil Barriquee that was the begining of the end for me.

Iíll give that a look. Cheers.
1/29/2013 8:23:47 PM

premium
Cletus 6354:233
Sour beers are the kind of beers you will have to trade away your first born, and your soul for. Run away while you still can.
1/29/2013 8:29:50 PM

Home > Forums > Beer Talk

Page 1 | 2 | 3
Copyright © 2000-2014,
RateBeer LLC. All rights
reserved.
about us
About RateBeer
FAQ
Contact/Feedback
New Beers