RateBeer
home Home > Forums >
Homebrew | Beer Talk | Site News | Beer Trade | Beer Travel | Food/Beer | For Sale | New Here | Non-US | Industry | OT - Lite | OT - Medium

Cocoa nibs

read 771 times • 6 replies • posted 1/29/2013 7:13:06 PM

Thread Frozen

sharpe1987 8:
I think Id like to add some cocoa nibs for a nice chocolatey flavor/aroma in my imperial stout. How much would be appropriate for an 8.5% five gallon in the secondary?

I believe uplands Teddy bear kisses ages their IRS on cocoa nibs. Love that beer.
Private message Send the author a private message

reakt 950:7
I recently did a 5.2% porter with nibs. I was given 140g from my local choclatier so I added 70g each to two 5gal pins, one with oak chips and one with pecan. I tapped the casks just over a week later and you could just about taste it. Not sure if that was due to the wood though? Id do at least 100g if I did it again, they were roasted and quite pungent also...
1/30/2013 12:45:50 AM

Private message send the author a private message

elkhunter36 10
We have made a Chocolate Milk Stout from Northern Brewer a couple of times. It comes with 4 ounces of cocoa nibs. We add them to the secondary and then they go into the keg. The longer the beer is in the keg the stronger the chocolate taste gets.
1/30/2013 5:06:23 AM

premium
NobleSquirrel 3437:209
Id recommend adding some vanilla. To me, a touch of vanilla really rounds out the chocolate flavor.
1/30/2013 2:09:20 PM

sharpe1987 8:
Any suggestions on brands/types of chocolate?

I have heard people say they used the Ghiradelli 70% cacao/cocoa

My worry is getting too much oil and killing any head retention
2/3/2013 12:38:14 PM

afterglow 1047:11
Originally posted by sharpe1987
Any suggestions on brands/types of chocolate?

I have heard people say they used the Ghiradelli 70% cacao/cocoa

My worry is getting too much oil and killing any head retention

Terr Amazon is a really good nib that you can get at whole foods or any other Peruvian nib you can find.
2/3/2013 4:52:26 PM

premium
admin
joet 2172:91
jesse friedman (Almanac) shared some tips about using cocoa nibs. he used them in his biere de chocolate which is phenomenal. you have to be careful about extracting fats as these can cause problems separation and rancidity. you also need to be sure the addition is sterile. using vanilla extract in an alcohol medium at low temp over the nibs pulls flavor without too much fat and sterilizes as well. decoction minimizes ethanol before addition to secondary. I think thats what he said.
2/3/2013 10:53:14 PM

Homebrew Shops - A collection of homebrew shops and supply houses submitted by RateBeer readers

Homebrewing Articles - RateBeer Magazine's homebrewing department

Homebrew Recipes - Experiment, share and post your own homebrew recipes

Until we can make beer come out of your monitor...

Beer2Buds
Send Beer Over The Net

Free signup now. Even out a trade, keep good vibes alive, say hi with a beer

Copyright © 2000-2014,
RateBeer LLC. All rights
reserved.
about us
About RateBeer
FAQ
Contact/Feedback
New Beers
add