RateBeer
home Home > Forums >
Beer Talk | Site News | Beer Trade | Beer Travel | Food/Beer | For Sale | New Here | Homebrew | Non-US | Industry | OT - Lite | OT - Medium

Kombucha Ale - Rateable?

read 1372 times • 23 replies • posted 1/31/2013 8:29:58 AM

Thread Frozen
Page 1 | 2 | 3

premium
Jow 2262:158
I see this on a tap list of a place I may attend tonight is this a beer I can add to database? what category (s/h/v?) or is it against policy?

http://beyondkombucha.com/ales-wines/mava-roka/
Private message Send the author a private message

premium
RABinCO 1399:87
wow, never seen kombucha with an ABV that high.
1/31/2013 8:32:22 AM

Private message send the author a private message

premium
pepsican 1451:53
Is it a beer base fermented with a kombucha strain? That wouldnít really work I guess at that ABV. Decent article:

http://www.brewbound.com/news/beyond-kombucha-becomes-first-licensed-kombucha-brewery-on-east-coast
1/31/2013 8:36:25 AM

VertBaconStrips 2100:4
Thatís pretty cool! Rate it and post it here if you cannot add the beer to the system.
1/31/2013 11:12:19 AM

premium
RABinCO 1399:87
I donít think this would qualify as a beer in any way. But it seems like they drank one too many before typing up the "about us" section on that web page.
1/31/2013 11:17:58 AM

premium
pepsican 1451:53
1/31/2013 11:20:32 AM

premium
Jow 2262:158
yea I just saw that, i would guess it is a mead. still unsure on first oneís category. if this becomes a new countrywide trend perhaps a Kombucha category for these fermented brews?
1/31/2013 11:29:33 AM

premium
admin
joet 2224:93
We are discussing the matter among the admins and getting information back from the brewers to inform the decision.
1/31/2013 11:40:38 AM

premium
admin
Oakes 12788:681
Right now, this is not rateable, because it is not beer. Where the primary fermentable is from sugarcane, thatís not a beer by any reasonable definition of the word.

What some governments mandate with respect to licensing and labelling is not relevant. First because we are a global site, we need to have global standards. Second, if the US makes kombucha brewers put "beer" on the label, thatís because the government agencies have to fit these products into an established category somewhere, since thatís easier than creating a new regulatory category. Thatís fine and dandy, but has nothing to do with us.

Should one come along that specifically meets the criteria for being a beer, it would be given consideration, but exceptions must be based on evidence.
1/31/2013 11:50:29 AM

premium
admin
joet 2224:93
Our unlisted guidelines are available here.

The item was never commercially available

The recipe for the product is the same or reasonably identical to an already listed product by the same producer

The product contains no or almost no alcohol

It is not fermented

A non traditional cider or perry is marketed as having flavor profiles distinctly different than the base fermentable fruit, and reliant on added flavorings rather than whole fruit, raw honey or other whole source materials

The product does not contain at least 50% fermentable grains, fermentable honey or apples or otherwise fails a test of product authenticity

A sake that is not Japanese or in the Japanese style, not fermented with koji and/or was not processed with Aspergillus
1/31/2013 11:56:46 AM

finn1918 198:12
Why do we allow sake, mead, kvass, and sima, but not kombucha? Couldnít it be categorized under "traditional" like we do with kvass?
1/31/2013 11:58:36 AM

Home > Forums > Beer Talk

Page 1 | 2 | 3
Copyright © 2000-2014,
RateBeer LLC. All rights
reserved.
about us
About RateBeer
FAQ
Contact/Feedback
New Beers