Beer Packaging and distribution in PA

Reads 1074 • Replies 6 • Started Tuesday, February 12, 2013 7:22:13 AM CT

The forums you're viewing are the static, archived version. You won't be able to post or reply here.
Our new, modern forums are here:
RateBeer Forums

Thread Frozen

reggiedunlop
beers 3729 º places 182 º 07:22 Tue 2/12/2013

Many of you know that PA has "different" laws regarding the sales of beer. Many places that sell beer are required to sell it in cases. Living here, we are just used to this. Many breweries that are growing seek to expand into the huge Philly market. I think they overlook the fact that most markets they sell in break up their 12 bottle bomber or 750 cases to sell singles but here in PA, many places cant do that. So their fancy/catchy labels dont catch anyone’s eye if the box they are in is plain white or brown with nothing but a handwritten name of the beer inside. I see many cases expire on shelves that I know to contain good beer and I think it is due to the boring unmarked box. So if anyone out there in the distribution biz is reading this, consider the case packaging when entering the Philly market...maybe it could help sales. Just my 2 cents...Cheers!

lithy
beers 2996 º places 156 º 07:50 Tue 2/12/2013

I think it is far more likely that those cases are around 100 (some are almost 200) bucks and that is a big reason why they don’t sell. Sure, by the bottle, it is a good enough deal, but how many people really want 12 bottles of the same bomber or 750?

I’d much prefer that PA change their laws rather than forcing out of state (and in state really) brewers to add another piece of printed packaging that is only used in one state.

ucusty
beers 2692 º places 52 º 08:35 Tue 2/12/2013

this is one of the most dumb laws

reggiedunlop
beers 3729 º places 182 º 08:51 Tue 2/12/2013

We actually move a decent amount of those types of cases...frequently ppl go i. Together and split them since this lowers the per bottle price significantly compared to bottle shops. And surely the simple answer is to just change the law but that is harder than it sounds...licenses are very valuable...they are somewhat of an investment. If the law is simply changed to a free for all (which would be great for me as a consumer), it completely devalues certain licenses so that is a big problem. Theres a big legislative push for change currently but there are tons of snags, lobbies, etc. As for the packaging, I just think it wouldn’t take much for a brewery to glue/tape a couple of bottle labels on a box at least and it might help a bit.

boxofrane
beers 2559 º places 53 º 08:59 Tue 2/12/2013

It really is tough for PA with the law written as such. It is also tough when IPA styles don’t have packaging dates on cases. Some just put them on the six packs or bottles. This prevents me from buying a case due to not knowing.

Beerman6686
beers 6607 º places 149 º 09:04 Tue 2/12/2013

Originally posted by watson1977
We actually move a decent amount of those types of cases...frequently ppl go i. Together and split them since this lowers the per bottle price significantly compared to bottle shops. And surely the simple answer is to just change the law but that is harder than it sounds...licenses are very valuable...they are somewhat of an investment. If the law is simply changed to a free for all (which would be great for me as a consumer), it completely devalues certain licenses so that is a big problem. Theres a big legislative push for change currently but there are tons of snags, lobbies, etc. As for the packaging, I just think it wouldn’t take much for a brewery to glue/tape a couple of bottle labels on a box at least and it might help a bit.

I agree it sucks for us as consumers in PA, however, as with any industry, it is the company’s resposibility to know where and how their product is being marketed and adjust to appeal to consumers. So essentially is it worth paying more for a fancy design on the case, to appeal to consumers in one state, or go with a cheaper case which does not make a difference in all of the other states they distribute to. Note this is just theory, I have no idea what the costs of case design are or which is generally the better decision.

reggiedunlop
beers 3729 º places 182 º 10:01 Tue 2/12/2013

Originally posted by Beerman6686
Originally posted by watson1977

I agree it sucks for us as consumers in PA, however, as with any industry, it is the company’s resposibility to know where and how their product is being marketed and adjust to appeal to consumers. So essentially is it worth paying more for a fancy design on the case, to appeal to consumers in one state, or go with a cheaper case which does not make a difference in all of the other states they distribute to. Note this is just theory, I have no idea what the costs of case design are or which is generally the better decision.

Im not even suggesting a real packaging overhaul...just slapping a bottle label on 2 or 3 sides of the box would enhance the appearance on the shelf. Again...im neither here nor there about this. But it seems slightly useful info for a brewery adding PA distribution.