RateBeer
home Home > Forums >
Beer Talk | Site News | Beer Trade | Beer Travel | Food/Beer | For Sale | New Here | Homebrew | Non-US | Industry | OT - Lite | OT - Medium

Re-Vamped Oskar Blues GUBNA

read 1497 times • 17 replies • posted 2/28/2013 9:52:22 AM

Thread Frozen
Page 1 | 2

premium
Steve_0 2538:104
(Longmont, CO) – This March, GUBNA Imperial IPA will celebrate its 3-year anniversary as Oskar Blues’ hoppiest craft beer in a can. With a mutated overload of hops, GUBNA will be a limited seasonal release March through May 2013. GUBNA was moved from a full time offering to a three month limited-release to complement a seasonal series featuring the cyclopean Ten FIDY Imperial Stout (October through February), and a yet to be announced third seasonal slated for June through September.

GUBNA was inbred from Oskar Blues Brewery’s hankering to confront 100+ IBU’s with a single hop to emphasize that complexity of character can arise from simple elements. This time around GUBNA (10% ABV, 100+ IBUs) cranks up the complexity of hops by piling Cascade hops on top of copious amounts of Summit hops and the backbone of German Dark Munich Malt and Rye Malt. North American 2-row barley combines with the other grains to lay the foundation for the hop onslaught to come. Post-fermentation dry hopping allows this monstrosity to gently coax the citrus rind and grapefruit aroma while providing a rye malt-induced spicy yet round middle and finishing with a brisk, clean bitterness.
“We get off on challenging ourselves and our beer drinkers with hops. This year’s GUBNA comes from that fire in the belly to up the ante of GUBNA’s motley hop character,” says head brewer Dave Chichura.
Oskar Blues continues to build on its 52% growth in 2012 and will launch new distribution in Michigan beginning March 4th. Last year, Oskar Blues expanded distribution to new markets for the first time in four years. The markets: Chicago, Ohio, Northern Kentucky and founder Dale Katechis’ home state of Alabama each established the largest craft beer launch in territory history topped by 14,000+ case equivalents during the first week in Ohio.
GUBNA Imperial IPA is available in limited-seasonal quantities (March to May) and sold in 12oz. four-packs priced at $14.99. Oskar Blues Brewery’s GUBNA Imperial IPA is just one of an impressive line-up of boundary-busting canned beer getable in 31 states. To find out where to purchase Oskar Blues beer visit http://www.oskarblues.com/about-us/beer-locator.

Looks like OB is switching it up with the GUBNA. I personally liked the original version, but I know quite a few people had complaints about garlic and onion notes.

I am kind-of excited for the new recipe, as I think OB makes great IPAs/DIPAs. What is your opinion? Should there be a new entry for this new recipe?

Thoughts?

Private message Send the author a private message

premium
GT2 8270:575
Good lord, Summit hops are so effing bitter, that will be undrinkable. Scrolling past all Summit and Apollo hop beers:

http://canadianhomebrewsupplies.files.wordpress.com/2012/11/hop-chart.jpg
2/28/2013 9:58:41 AM

Private message send the author a private message

premium
NobleSquirrel 3437:209
Originally posted by GT2
Good lord, Summit hops are so effing bitter, that will be undrinkable. Scrolling past all Summit and Apollo hop beers:

Take that chart with a grain of salt. There is far more to hop science than just AAU’s. I’ve never found Summit to be a harshly bitter hop. Same with Apollo. Personally, I think Chinook is an abrasive hop and I never use it for bittering. Then again, I find it hard to argue with using Magnum as my general all purpose bittering hop.

Back on topic, I’m curious to see what happens with the change in dry hop. This wouldn’t be a new entry (brewers change up hopping way more often than you’d believe.) I am really curious to see what the new season is, however...
2/28/2013 10:55:45 AM

premium
GT2 8270:575
Agree with you on Chinook.

2/28/2013 11:38:58 AM

TAR 2441:27
Originally posted by GT2

I think even if they used an elegant hop like Tettnanger or Styrian Goldings, they would have ruined it by insisting it be "over-the-top" and turn it into a caustic resin bomb, which is exactly what this beer is. It’s foul enough sans the plethora of fermentation defects, but those pretty much assure that only a half mouthful is nausea-inducing.

This barbaric and putrid beer pretty much symbolizes all that is awry with (much of) the U.S. brewing culture: Seemingly second-batch homebrewers going pro represents the new norm. As one who strives to avoid cynicism, I struggle in this case because this obnoxious brewery REALLY rubs me the wrong way.

2/28/2013 11:39:01 AM

premium
RABinCO 1160:70
Was expecting something like Vampirella judging by the title. But yeah, no thanks.
2/28/2013 11:47:25 AM

drewbeerme 3879:1
so it now has some cascade? well that’s just great.
2/28/2013 12:46:58 PM

TAR 2441:27
Originally posted by drewbeerme

What this beer really needs is some ketchup!
2/28/2013 2:14:02 PM

premium
Ernest 6154:165
Originally posted by TAR
Originally posted by drewbeerme

What this beer really needs is some ketchup!

Judging by the aroma, Deviant Dale’s has some of that in it...go git sum, buddy!
2/28/2013 2:37:47 PM

premium
3fourths 7879:1268
OB is still in business?
2/28/2013 3:03:28 PM

premium
boxofrane 2056:52
Not a huge Gubna fan.. looking forward to a revamp.. Devient Dale’s.. now thats some good stuff.
2/28/2013 3:13:20 PM

Home > Forums > Beer Talk

Page 1 | 2
Copyright © 2000-2014,
RateBeer LLC. All rights
reserved.
about us
About RateBeer
FAQ
Contact/Feedback
New Beers