RateBeer
home Home > Forums >
Beer Talk | Site News | Beer Trade | Beer Travel | Food/Beer | For Sale | New Here | Homebrew | Non-US | Industry | OT - Lite | OT - Medium

Why Tipping Should Be Outlawed

read 3735 times • 91 replies • posted 6/19/2013 12:46:44 PM

Thread Frozen
Page 1 | 2 | 3 | 4 | 5 | 6 | 7 | 8 | 9 | 10

premium
mkgrenwel 577:110
Why Tipping Should Be Outlawed

Iíve been saying it for years: tipping is the absolute worst. This article pretty much sums up why.

Private message Send the author a private message

beerinmeear 1
Iíll sign the petition. let me know when hell freezes over . . .
6/19/2013 12:56:19 PM

Private message send the author a private message

ContemplateBeer 1581:117
What should be outlawed is restaurant employees being paid 2-3 dollars an hour, therefore eliminating the need for tips at all. I think most people understand that tips are part of a servers wage, thus the desire to leave a tip.

About twice in my life have I left less than 15% (I usually go 20-25%) and that was for downright neglectful service on slow evenings.

And, I feel no need to tip based on looks. Some of the best servers in Louisville, in my experience, are African American or (Eastern) Asian. Maybe that means I have a bias towards them.
6/19/2013 1:08:46 PM

pinkie 470:10
I have a cousin who wonít tip anyone. Not the waiter/waitress, not the hairstylist, not the pizza guy, not the valet. She also hates children.
6/19/2013 1:18:46 PM

premium
phaleslu 6842:427
Freakonomics did a 35-minute podcast on this recently. There are a lot of solid arguments against it. Iíll keep tipping as generously as I can until anything changes, but I would like to see it go away.
6/19/2013 1:20:26 PM

premium
TheHOFF43 1759:109
Originally posted by phaleslu
Freakonomics did a 35-minute podcast on this recently. There are a lot of solid arguments against it. Iíll keep tipping as generously as I can until anything changes, but I would like to see it go away.

+1
6/19/2013 1:22:00 PM

puzzl 3254:138
I hate tipping. I especially hate tipping when bars think they are giving you a deal by giving you an 8oz pour for $5 instead of a pint for $10, because now you are tipping 20% of the cost of the beer instead of 10% and after a session with some friends it can end up at $10+ worth of extra tips just because they force me to use a small glass. Smaller pours suck. Iíve started tipping 50c on small pours because itís bullshit.
6/19/2013 1:31:16 PM

premium
mcox90 1588:53
Originally posted by phaleslu

+2
6/19/2013 1:32:32 PM

premium
after4ever 6263:232
Objectively, I dislike tipping.

But as a practical matter, itís so easy to be favored with good service, and I love it. For a couple bucks out of your pocket, you stand out as a "big tipper" among other customers. Eventually, some places start offering you a free beer here and there, sneak peeks of kegs, happy hour prices all the time, whatever--and youíre back in the black, but with good vibes. Nice.
6/19/2013 1:36:44 PM

premium
phaleslu 6842:427
^At places where youíre a regular, yes, but everywhere else being a big tipper doesnít get you anything more. The guy at Cornellís Hotel Management School who has devoted his studies to the economics of tipping said that there isnít enough data to show that big tipping influences staff behavior (mostly because tipping is done at the end) and that in the other direction, good service only influences tip size by about 2%.
6/19/2013 1:40:35 PM

premium
pepsican 1452:53
I like when the restaurant already includes the tip and the service is still flawless. Dislike tipping in general, but I do it very generously and it seems to pay back a bit at places where Iím a regular. I donít see it going away any time soon.
6/19/2013 1:42:51 PM

Home > Forums > Beer Talk

Page 1 | 2 | 3 | 4 | 5 | 6 | 7 | 8 | 9 | 10
Copyright © 2000-2014,
RateBeer LLC. All rights
reserved.
about us
About RateBeer
FAQ
Contact/Feedback
New Beers