RateBeer
home Home > Forums >
Beer Talk | Site News | Beer Trade | Beer Travel | Food/Beer | For Sale | New Here | Homebrew | Non-US | Industry | OT - Lite | OT - Medium

help me figure out how old this beer is

read 467 times • 8 replies • posted 6/26/2013 7:55:56 PM

Thread Frozen

premium
jmagnus87 2220:85
So, moved into a new apartment recently. As im cleaning the basement, i find an old box if high life returnable bottles. Of course, no dates on the carton or bottles but the caps have "8 24 9" printed on them. Im guessing from 1989 but im not sure. Any ideas?
Private message Send the author a private message

premium
Marko 3771:199
Post pics, someone might have some idea looking at the design.
6/27/2013 2:40:04 AM

Private message send the author a private message

jesskidden 1
Could also be from 1979 or 1999 - since Miller started stamping the dates on the crowns in the 70s -

- not sure when they dropped their returnables.

If the labels lists all the Miller breweries of the time, you might be able to narrow down the decade with that info. Not sure the exact years (but itís probably listed somewhere on the ínet), but in that era (70s-90s), they closed Azuza, CA and opened Irwindale, CA Eden, NC, Trenton, OH and opened and closed a brewery in upstate NY (forget the city now, near Syracuse).
6/27/2013 3:13:32 AM

premium
Bill Becker 183:1
Originally posted by jesskidden
Could also be from 1979 or 1999 - since Miller started stamping the dates on the crowns in the 70s -

If the labels lists all the Miller breweries of the time, you might be able to narrow down the decade with that info. Not sure the exact years (but itís probably listed somewhere on the ínet), but in that era (70s-90s), they closed Azuza, CA and opened Irwindale, CA Eden, NC, Trenton, OH and opened and closed a brewery in upstate NY (forget the city now, near Syracuse).

Volney NY. I never knew it existed.
6/27/2013 4:42:20 AM

jesskidden 1
Originally posted by Bill Becker

They used "Fulton, NY" on the labels.

6/27/2013 7:27:35 AM

premium
Bill Becker 183:1
Originally posted by Bill Becker

They used "Fulton, NY" on the labels.

Now THAT sounds familiar.
6/27/2013 10:08:05 AM

premium
Cletus 6329:231

I donít think they were still doing returnables in the late 1980s. These are more likely from the 70s, but pictures of the box, bottle and cap would help. If the OP is talking about a 5c deposit, these could be from any era.
6/27/2013 7:23:19 PM

premium
6/27/2013 8:56:58 PM

premium
That is the caps. Ill try to get the box and bottles tomorrow
6/27/2013 8:57:54 PM

Copyright © 2000-2014,