RateBeer
home Home > Forums >
Beer Travel | Beer Talk | Site News | Beer Trade | Food/Beer | For Sale | New Here | Homebrew | Non-US | Industry | OT - Lite | OT - Medium

Styrofoam Cases as Checked Luggage

read 735 times • 14 replies • posted 7/25/2013 6:45:00 AM

Thread Frozen
Page 1 | 2

Globlauch 15
Iím visiting the states and my greedy eyes have acquired more bottles than I can fit in my suitcase to bring back. Iíve seen those styrofoam 12-packs sold at places like bevMo! and Iím curious if anyone has had success checking that as luggage without any damage to the bottles inside.
Iím travelling with multiple people so we can technically split up the bottles per person without being slapped with extra taxes on our bottles per person limit at customs, so thatís no issue.

Iíd really appreciate any advice or anecdotes.

Cheers!
Private message Send the author a private message

premium
TheAlum 5950:10
Iíve used styro 12 slotters as my 2nd bag @ Southwest a couple times.

Checked as oversized baggage.

No issues.
7/25/2013 6:46:19 AM

Private message send the author a private message

premium
Keir 172:1
We do it on every trip at this point and have never had an issue.
7/25/2013 6:50:49 AM

Globlauch 15
Thanks kindly for the responses!
Itíll take a huge burden off of bubble wrapping things and hoping they donít break in my bags. I also noticed one bottle has a slight imperfection in the glass, that isnít really a chip - itís kind of a surface bubble chip sorta thing, and didnít want smoked stout all over my underoos...
7/25/2013 7:04:15 AM

premium
BMan1113VR 7874:379
Iíve used 12 slot styros in checked bagage plenty of times on airplanes (20+). Never had an issue, but I also never have tried to go through customs with one.
7/25/2013 7:38:45 AM

Globlauch 15
just to be sure, I donít to add extra padding inside, so long as they are 650-750 ml bottles right?
7/25/2013 8:04:01 AM

premium
MacBoost 1399:23
Originally posted by Globlauch
just to be sure, I donít to add extra padding inside, so long as they are 650-750 ml bottles right?

I would add bubble wrap to eliminate bottles moving around. Itís not always a perfect fit.
7/25/2013 8:06:51 AM

premium
Torontoblue 85:43
Donít even need to add bubble wrap; just use newspaper around the neck of the bottle, that stops movement, too. Just check in as an extra bag, mark the box as fragile and Bobís Yer Uncle. Done this a few times and everything comes through fine. The outer box doesnít even have a ding or mark.
7/25/2013 8:11:09 AM

premium
StefanSD 2193:45
TSA usually leaves me a note that they opened and inspected, but no issues yet.
7/25/2013 3:22:23 PM

pinkie 470:10
Donít be afraid of customs. Fill out the forms and declare what you have. Most of the time the amount you think is great enough to cause you to pay additional tax is not even worthy of anyoneís attention.

https://help.cbp.gov/app/answers/detail/a_id/190/~/bringing-alcohol-%28including-homemade-wine%29-to-the-u.s.-for-personal-use

http://www.dutycalculator.com/?gclid=CInekZ7Zy7gCFY6k4AodQiMAsQ
7/25/2013 3:25:46 PM

HighWine 954:29
I like to put a small wad of newspaper underneath each bottle, too. It helps with rattling and protects if the bottom of the styro should break. When you land go straight to baggage claim. Airlines insure luggage but not boxes so if it gets stolen youíre out of luck.
7/25/2013 3:27:26 PM

Home > Forums > Beer Travel

Page 1 | 2
Copyright © 2000-2014,
RateBeer LLC. All rights
reserved.
about us
About RateBeer
FAQ
Contact/Feedback
New Beers