RateBeer
home Home > Forums >
Beer Talk | Site News | Beer Trade | Beer Travel | Food/Beer | For Sale | New Here | Homebrew | Non-US | Industry | OT - Lite | OT - Medium

Evil Twin Iperial Biscotti Break - Fruit Beer and Spice Herb Veg !

read 1573 times • 39 replies • posted 2/22/2014 1:35:06 AM

Thread Frozen
Page 1 | 2 | 3 | 4

premium
Theydon_Bois 9729:674
http://www.ratebeer.com/beer/evil-twin-imperial-biscotti-break-decicco-version/219423/

http://www.ratebeer.com/beer/evil-twin-imperial-biscotti-break-natale-pretty-please-with-a-cherry-on-top/232624/

Now I could have sworn when I rated these beers they were imperial/strong porter in terms of style, so I presume an admin has changed them.

Apoligies if Iíve missed a post on this matter but why are they now Fruit beer and Spice herb veg ? Yes I can clearly see what the additional ingredients are but these beers still hold up as imeperial strong porters with additions that add a twist to the flavour.

Is there a new directive with admins that any additional ingredients results in the beer having to leave the original base style?

Consider this ... Who, of the folks who have rated the above, sat down and said to themselves íyeah - great Spice / Herb / Veg beer!í

Thereís been the íSession IPAí debate in recent weeks, which doesnít bother me, however I thought this was to align with marketing trends from brewers and bars?

So with that same marketing hat on do you really think bars are going to advertise a 10% Imperial Porter as a íFruit beerí ????

Private message Send the author a private message

FrumptyDumpty
So all beers with Chilies are now Herb/Spice???
2/22/2014 1:39:43 AM

Private message send the author a private message

premium
MaxxDaddy 407:31
Yeah thatís definitely wrong. And certainly inconsistent with these standards:

http://www.ratebeer.com/beer/bells-cherry-stout/3216/
http://www.ratebeer.com/beer/cigar-city-hunahpus-imperial-stout/97078/
2/22/2014 4:32:41 AM

premium
maneliquor 3210:151
poor form
2/22/2014 5:04:29 AM

premium
italarican 1484:74
Pretty inaccurate, especially for the Decicco version. Itís not a chile beer with a porter background by any means; itís an imperial porter with a subtle spice for depth.
2/22/2014 5:50:57 AM

premium
3fourths 8219:1349
They were last edited by Jeppe.

/thread
2/22/2014 7:07:09 AM

premium
MaxxDaddy 407:31
Originally posted by 3fourths
They were last edited by Jeppe.

/thread

Anything to be number one in style, huh?
2/22/2014 8:57:44 AM

premium
bytemesis 3441:400
Oh, come on. I certainly understand the importance of brewer intent, but there are still style guidelines on the site. It he called one of these an American pale ale, would you have the same response?
2/22/2014 8:59:22 AM

premium
3fourths 8219:1349
well no, i understand these are ales but not pale. it is a beer and it has fruit in it, so whatís wrong with fruit beer - the term describes it perfectly. and chiles in a porter? thatís a flavored beer, so whatís wrong with S/H/V?

2/22/2014 9:48:32 AM

premium
GT2 8690:613
-___-
2/22/2014 9:55:38 AM

premium
bytemesis 3441:400
Originally posted by MaxxDaddy
Anything to be number one in style, huh?

+1

The world is full of chili stouts and porters that are classified by the base beer. I guess perhaps the fault is ours, because reading the description it only says that the additive must be "noticeable" . I would prefer a style classification that requires that the spice/herb/vegetable be the dominant characteristic before it is categorized as such. Otherwise we need to have a mass migration of Bomb, Hunaphu, Abraxas, you name it to the S/H/V category
2/22/2014 11:43:45 AM

Home > Forums > Beer Talk

Page 1 | 2 | 3 | 4
Copyright © 2000-2014,
RateBeer LLC. All rights
reserved.
about us
About RateBeer
FAQ
Contact/Feedback
New Beers