Montreal/Boston/Vermont in May/June

Reads 1848 • Replies 27 • Started Wednesday, March 26, 2014 3:58:24 PM CT

The forums you're viewing are the static, archived version. You won't be able to post or reply here.
Our new, modern forums are here:
RateBeer Forums

Thread Frozen

GT
beers 10001 º places 672 º 15:58 Wed 3/26/2014

Hey guys,

Wife and I are flying into Boston Memorial Day weekend and immediately driving up to Montreal for a few days (3-4), then to Hill Farmstead on our way back to Boston to actually spend a day there. Then driving there to DC for the following weekend.

Besides Dieu du Ciel, Hill Farmstead, and Trillium, what should we do (beer and non beer)? Wife loves ciders and ice ciders (so do I); not sure if there is a way to do that from Montreal.

Cheers!

Leighton
beers 33714 º places 1204 º 16:23 Wed 3/26/2014

If you’re taking I-89 from VT to NH (or I-91 to I-89) be sure to stop off at the Seven Barrel Brewery in West Lebanon, NH. It’s a pretty average brewpub, but it’s right off the highway and it’s a place that gets very little attention from the RB population. Good for a few ticks and a meal.

Bacterial
beers 3140 º places 134 º 17:16 Wed 3/26/2014

I’m heading out to VT in May and will be driving straight east from HF to the Maine coast, hitting a few key spots like Allagash and Maine Beer Company on the way back down to Boston. Lots of fun things out there.

Oh ya, this place too: http://www.ebenezerspub.net

JoeMcPhee
beers 12092 º places 543 º 17:52 Wed 3/26/2014

Go to the Jean Talon market in Montreal and check out Vices et Versa in the same ’hood. The market has great food and that bar has a lot of great Quebec product. There is a store in the market that has the best selection of ice cider in the province so make sure that’s on your list. Hemmingford is on the way back south into VT and it would definitely be worth your while to visit a few ice cideries while you’re there. I’d also recommend going to Benelux while in Montreal. It has odd hours, so check first, but it’s worth a visit.

MaxxDaddy
beers 415 º places 32 º 17:57 Wed 3/26/2014

Originally posted by JoeMcPhee
Go to the Jean Talon market in Montreal and check out Vices et Versa in the same ’hood. The market has great food and that bar has a lot of great Quebec product. There is a store in the market that has the best selection of ice cider in the province so make sure that’s on your list. Hemmingford is on the way back south into VT and it would definitely be worth your while to visit a few ice cideries while you’re there. I’d also recommend going to Benelux while in Montreal. It has odd hours, so check first, but it’s worth a visit.

+1 to this. The ice cider store in Jean Talon market is called Marches des Saveurs.

Depending on your willingness to travel outside of Montreal while you’re there, Rougemont is about a 45 minute car ride away. There are a bunch of cideries out there, including Michel Jodoin and Leduc-Piedmonte. La Face Cachee is in Hemmingford, so definitely hit that up if at all possible.

Enjoy the trip!

jercraigs
beers 14874 º places 1051 º 18:05 Wed 3/26/2014

at Marches des Saveurs:
Jercraigs: Hey.
Mabel: Hey. Where did you go?
jercraigs: I just spent $200 on cider.
mabel: blank stare.

MaxxDaddy
beers 415 º places 32 º 18:23 Wed 3/26/2014

Originally posted by jercraigs
at Marches des Saveurs:

You tell her how much you spent? Can’t be doing that...unless your lady spends that kind of money on yarn or something. Then it’s cool, at least from my experience.

Quevillon
beers 3376 º places 394 º 18:24 Wed 3/26/2014

Hill Farmstead is having an anniversary on May 24 th.

http://www.ratebeer.com/event/23112/

In Montreal, I would add Broue Pub Brouhaha, Hopfenstark Station Ho.st, Le Cheval Blanc (oldest brewpub in Quebec) and L’Amère à Boire. As for bottle shop, Dépanneur Peluso is one of the best and they have parking.

Quevillon
beers 3376 º places 394 º 18:26 Wed 3/26/2014

Originally posted by MaxxDaddy
at Marches des Saveurs:

You tell her how much you spent? Can’t be doing that...unless your lady spends that kind of money on yarn or something. Then it’s cool, at least from my experience.
Yarn? Beer and geek stuff maybe!

MaxxDaddy
beers 415 º places 32 º 18:27 Wed 3/26/2014

Originally posted by Quevillon
Originally posted by MaxxDaddy
at Marches des Saveurs:

Yarn? Beer and geek stuff maybe!

Different strokes for different folks. She gets to drink ice cider and I get to wear hand-knit hats and scarves. We both win!

drowland
beers 11069 º places 430 º 21:41 Wed 3/26/2014

If you’re going to DC, why bother visiting the Hill Farmstead brewery?