Apple juice is not fermenting. Why?

Reads 2700 • Replies 9 • Started Sunday, April 20, 2014 8:23:12 PM CT

The forums you're viewing are the static, archived version. You won't be able to post or reply here.
Our new, modern forums are here:
RateBeer Forums

Thread Frozen

joet
admin
beers 2900 º places 125 º 20:23 Sun 4/20/2014

I got some Martinelli’s apple juice that’s flash pasteurized and labeled no preservatives. I tried to make an old school rural cider by just exposing it to air for an hour and letting it do it’s thing at room temp for a week.

No sign of fermentation.

Dumped a slurry of very active yeast which slowly died over the course of a day.

What is up here?

drowland
beers 11069 º places 430 º 20:37 Sun 4/20/2014

Originally posted by joet
I got some Martinelli’s apple juice that’s flash pasteurized and labeled no preservatives. I tried to make an old school rural cider by just exposing it to air for an hour and letting it do it’s thing at room temp for a week.

No sign of fermentation.

Dumped a slurry of very active yeast which slowly died over the course of a day.

What is up here?

As for the first part - perhaps just no yeasties floating around or landed in it?

As for the 2nd - what do you mean died after a day? Signs of fermentation died or the yeast died? And how do you know?

drowland
beers 11069 º places 430 º 20:38 Sun 4/20/2014

Easy/common solutions are probably to shake the yeast back into suspension and keep it a little warmer. Perhaps add a little sugar. Or wait. If you only waited a day after dumping, it might just not be kicking yet?

joeneugs
beers 6372 º places 240 º 20:39 Sun 4/20/2014

Where did you get the yeast? You mentioned it was very active… was it active with an apple juice starter or something else?

Either way, one day is not very long to give yeast a chance to get active. I’ve had yeast floc out and stay dormant for 3-4 days before kicking back up and doing the job smashingly. This would especially be the case if there wasn’t a starter, or if the yeast was taken from something other than an apple juice food source.

drowland
beers 11069 º places 430 º 21:20 Sun 4/20/2014

^good point. The yeast might be getting used to its surroundings.

Also, ISO: joet cider hooch

HornyDevil
04:51 Mon 4/21/2014

Which strain was it and did you use any yeast nutrient?

VsXsV
beers 5000 º places 92 º 05:26 Mon 4/21/2014

Add some yeast nutrition.

bitbucket
beers 2166 º places 63 º 19:49 Mon 4/21/2014

Originally posted by VsXsV

This.

And be aware that there will be lag time between when you introduce the yeast and when it really takes off. This lag time can be exacerbated if there is too great a temperature differential between the wort (or juice) and the yeast. You will temporarily shock the yeast... which will slow it down a bit.

Add the yeast nutrient and aerate the bejezus out of it. Then relax and have a homebrew.

bitbucket
beers 2166 º places 63 º 19:51 Mon 4/21/2014

If you’re just adding yeast to Martinelli’s, be prepared to drink vaguely apple-like champagne.

NobleSquirrel
beers 3437 º places 209 º 08:02 Tue 4/22/2014

Originally posted by bitbucket
Originally posted by VsXsV

This.

And be aware that there will be lag time between when you introduce the yeast and when it really takes off. This lag time can be exacerbated if there is too great a temperature differential between the wort (or juice) and the yeast. You will temporarily shock the yeast... which will slow it down a bit.

Add the yeast nutrient and aerate the bejezus out of it. Then relax and have a homebrew.

Also note that appropriate rehydration (I use GoFerm) and tempering will minimize yeast shock and allow for a much reduced lag phase. Consider overpitching as well. That’ll help to reduce the production of sulfur compounds, as will oxygenation and as stated above, yeast nutrient. apple juice is deficient in terms of Free Amino Nitrogen.

Homebrew Shops - A collection of homebrew shops and supply houses submitted by RateBeer readers

Homebrewing Articles - RateBeer Magazine's homebrewing department

Homebrew Recipes - Experiment, share and post your own homebrew recipes

Until we can make beer come out of your monitor...

Beer2Buds
Send Beer Over The Net

Free signup now. Even out a trade, keep good vibes alive, say hi with a beer