Ever Wanted to Hang Up Your Hat and Stick To Shelfies?

Reads 3721 • Replies 45 • Started Thursday, April 24, 2014 1:07:32 PM CT

The forums you're viewing are the static, archived version. You won't be able to post or reply here.
Our new, modern forums are here:
RateBeer Forums

Thread Frozen

Alen
places 1 º 13:07 Thu 4/24/2014

I thought this day would never come, but lately I find myself more and more thinking about giving trading and rarity/whale beer chasing a break and returning to the shelf available regulars for a while. Lots of times I’ll open my fridge door and realize most things in there are undrinkable, due to extremeness of the beer (high abv, acid monster, etc...) or me not wanting to drink a rare one by myself.
Has anyone had a phase like this where you just have had it w/ the ups and downs of trading and trying to land the new beers that pop up like mushrooms after a rain these days?

brokensail
admin
beers 21480 º places 1691 º 13:19 Thu 4/24/2014

I mostly just stick to brewpubs/breweries these days with the occasional trip to the liquor store to see what new garbage I can blow $15/bottle on.

Indra
beers 2711 º places 78 º 13:30 Thu 4/24/2014

Way ahead of you, man. I wouldn’t even consider it a phase, I am done trading (except the occasional in-person with people I know) and don’t chase any whales.

I go to the store and buy whatever I’m in the mood for or that looks good, end of story.

blipp
beers 14840 º places 219 º 13:30 Thu 4/24/2014

This "phase" you are describing is a much happier and rewarding approach to drinking craft beer. Support your local breweries, fill growlers, pick up some of the new stuff that shows up on shelves if you’re in the mood, don’t worry about getting the latest new releases. And most importantly, drink with people you like.

TheAlum
beers 7164 º places 10 º 13:30 Thu 4/24/2014

I don’t think it’s a phase to hang it up and concentrate on good local beer with the occasional trade for what you want.

I think the phase is in fact trading for every single new, crazy thing and hot commodity

miketd
beers 5 º places 125 º 13:31 Thu 4/24/2014

Been there for years.

MaxxDaddy
beers 415 º places 32 º 13:38 Thu 4/24/2014

Originally posted by TheAlum
I don’t think it’s a phase to hang it up and concentrate on good local beer with the occasional trade for what you want.

I think the phase is in fact trading for every single new, crazy thing and hot commodity

Truth.

Originally posted by blipp
This "phase" you are describing is a much happier and rewarding approach to drinking craft beer. Support your local breweries, fill growlers, pick up some of the new stuff that shows up on shelves if you’re in the mood, don’t worry about getting the latest new releases. And most importantly, drink with people you like.

Frank
beers 4561 º places 92 º 14:28 Thu 4/24/2014

I never had much trouble finidng enough to drink off the shelf. Nowadays esp., I much prefer lighter beers than what most trades consist of anyway.

Cletus
beers 6349 º places 233 º 14:43 Thu 4/24/2014

Originally posted by miketd
Been there for years.

Same.

daknole
beers 11050 º places 464 º 14:47 Thu 4/24/2014

I’ve cut my trading by 80-90%. I’m spending my dollars locally. I’m trying to drink my cellar down a bit...that’s still a work in progress.

fly
beers 1490 º places 271 º 15:06 Thu 4/24/2014

So may local breweries and brew pubs open here and more breweries coming to town means plenty of decent stuff to choose from without the hassle.