Smoking a Brisket (BBQ not the other way)

Reads 7502 • Replies 62 • Started Monday, May 12, 2014 5:53:03 AM CT

The forums you're viewing are the static, archived version. You won't be able to post or reply here.
Our new, modern forums are here:
RateBeer Forums

Thread Frozen

pushkinwow
beers 3602 º places 174 º 05:53 Mon 5/12/2014

So looking for some advice from experienced BBQ peeps out there. Tried only my second brisket on the egg recently and although it was quite tasty it came out dry again.

It was about 7 lbs, did a dry rub and smoked it overnight for almost until it got up to 195. Temperature held mostly steady at around 240 (grill temperature) although I know it spiked once or twice. There was a drip pan filled with water underneath set up in the normal indirect method.

My thoughts:
- make sure the temperature doesn’t spike
- don’t fill the drip pan with water (just steams the meat)
- either cook less or more but do the poke method to determine if its done or not (would love some experienced advice on this)
- trim less fat off next time

OldGrowth
beers 3472 º places 204 º 06:03 Mon 5/12/2014

Yeah, brisket can go wrong quickly, when you say overnight, how many hours are we talking? Shouldn’t need more than 8 hours from my attempts, once came out good, once came out dry...

egajdzis
beers 9958 º places 49 º 06:09 Mon 5/12/2014

It’s hard to say, your method looks pretty good. Maybe wrap the brisket at 160, and let it cook wrapped until 195 or so. Another suggestion, after you remove from the grill, leave it wrapped in foil, wrap a towel around, and place in a cooler for several hours.

Also, what grade was the cut?

FooFaa
beers 1 º places 29 º 06:52 Mon 5/12/2014

Tips from the master:

The Wood:
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ucUy1k86GdA

The Smoker:
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=gybrM6EQ6fg

The Prep:
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=VmTzdMHu5KU

The Cook:
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=pGZ39yYxeBk

The Payoff:
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=sMIlyzRFUjU

pushkinwow
beers 3602 º places 174 º 07:01 Mon 5/12/2014

Originally posted by egajdzis
It’s hard to say, your method looks pretty good. Maybe wrap the brisket at 160, and let it cook wrapped until 195 or so. Another suggestion, after you remove from the grill, leave it wrapped in foil, wrap a towel around, and place in a cooler for several hours.

Also, what grade was the cut?

Not sure on the grade but got it from a good butcher. Also it was wrapped up after it came off the grill for around 3 hours in a cooler but still quite dry.

Originally posted by OldGrowth
Shouldn’t need more than 8 hours from my attempts, once came out good, once came out dry...

Hmmm - think it cooked way longer than that but never got up to temperature...

jdb288
beers 584 º places 98 º 07:08 Mon 5/12/2014

Any liquid added once you wrapped it in foil? Some apple juice and/or cider vinegar?

I think you may have cooked it a little too long as well.

egajdzis
beers 9958 º places 49 º 07:24 Mon 5/12/2014

Originally posted by pushkinwow

Originally posted by OldGrowth
Shouldn’t need more than 8 hours from my attempts, once came out good, once came out dry...

Hmmm - think it cooked way longer than that but never got up to temperature...

Yeah, you were right in waiting until it hit temp. I usually do temp instead of cook time to know when it’s ready.

pushkinwow
beers 3602 º places 174 º 07:34 Mon 5/12/2014

Originally posted by jdb288
Any liquid added once you wrapped it in foil? Some apple juice and/or cider vinegar?

You mean adding liquid once I take it off the BBQ and wrap it in foil? I didn’t do that.

When I do ribs I sometimes cheat and put them in foild for a couple of hours with some apple cider vinegar...open to doing the same with the brisket although don’t want to compromise the bark...when would you do that in the cooking schedule?

pushkinwow
beers 3602 º places 174 º 07:35 Mon 5/12/2014

Originally posted by egajdzis

Yeah, you were right in waiting until it hit temp. I usually do temp instead of cook time to know when it’s ready.

What temperature do you cook to (before taking it off and letting it rest)?

FooFaa
beers 1 º places 29 º 07:40 Mon 5/12/2014

What was the temp when you took it off, and wrapped it? Beef in particular will continue to cook once taken off the heat. Count on the temperature increasing once you pull it off. For brisket, I like to:

1. Cook at 250 F.

2. Check around the four hour mark. If it’s starting to get "wet-looking," it’s time to wrap it. If not, wait a bit.

3. Cook until the meat hits about 185 F. Take it out, and feel it. If it’s nice and jiggly, then it’s just about done. Stick it in a cooler, or in the oven (without the heat turned on).

4. The temp should go up another 10-12 degrees, which should put you in the 195-200 F range. That’s ideal for a quality cut of meat (Choice or Prime). If you’re working with a Select cut, then you may need to get a bit closer to 200-202 F.

The whole process should take 8-12 hours depending on how your stall goes. The trick here is to break down the collagen in the meat, without destroying the cell wall of the muscle. Once you hit 205 F, the muscles’ cell walls begin to burst, and your meat loses its ability to hold moisture. My guess is, that’s what happening here.

The moral of the story is, don’t rely on heat and time alone. They are just guides. Rely on the feel of the meat. It’s ready to come off when it is soft and tender, but not falling apart.

If you haven’t, be sure to watch the videos I posted above. They are done by pitmaster Aaron Franklin, and Franklin BBQ in Austin, TX is generally regarded as the best in the country.

jdb288
beers 584 º places 98 º 07:46 Mon 5/12/2014

Originally posted by pushkinwow
Originally posted by jdb288

You mean adding liquid once I take it off the BBQ and wrap it in foil? I didn’t do that.

When I do ribs I sometimes cheat and put them in foild for a couple of hours with some apple cider vinegar...open to doing the same with the brisket although don’t want to compromise the bark...when would you do that in the cooking schedule?

Yes, after the smoke period. You’ll lose a bit of integrity with the bark but, then again, you’ll still be cooking it for a while which gives the bark time to set up again. This has been my experience and has worked well.