WH?Y is beer a BBQ cleaner?

Reads 2902 • Replies 7 • Started Saturday, July 5, 2014 8:52:27 AM CT

The forums you're viewing are the static, archived version. You won't be able to post or reply here.
Our new, modern forums are here:
RateBeer Forums

Thread Frozen

DerWeg
beers 2175 º places 48 º 08:52 Sat 7/5/2014

I’m speaking of gas grill but any cooking grid - people use beer like crazy. Why does it work well, or is it just the first thing (usually) on hand?

Any tips for maintaining a SS cooking grid (w/ beer or not) I appreciate. Got a set of heavy SS grids.

b3shine
beers 12183 º places 372 º 09:00 Sat 7/5/2014

I think the carbonation helps clean the grate, and the beer will just burn off. You can probably get a similar effect with soda water.

joeneugs
beers 6372 º places 240 º 09:13 Sat 7/5/2014

I’ve never heard this, but beer is pretty acidic with a low pH, so I guess it could be effective at eating away some deposits on grills…. seems like there would be much cheaper and more effective ways of doing it though. I don’t think the carbonation has anything to do with it.

Back when I was a juvenile deliquent, we used to go around spraying people’s cars with bottles of soda because it was said to eat away the paint on cars. It was the acid in the Coke that did this allegedly.

StefanSD
beers 2449 º places 57 º 09:23 Sun 7/6/2014

I’ve never heard of this either. To clean the grill I just superheat and then scrape with a stiff wire brush. Works every time and no beer sacrificed, regrettably Cthulhu is not pleased.

StefanSD
beers 2449 º places 57 º 09:30 Sun 7/6/2014

My LaJolla friends clean their grill with Remy Martin Louis XIII. Well, not really, but they just might under the right circumstances.

HighWine
beers 958 º places 29 º 10:34 Sun 7/6/2014

Originally posted by StefanSD
I’ve never heard of this either. To clean the grill I just superheat and then scrape with a stiff wire brush. Works every time and no beer sacrificed, regrettably Cthulhu is not pleased.

This. Use the beer for drinking while scraping if anything.

Bacterial
beers 3140 º places 134 º 10:54 Sun 7/6/2014

Originally posted by StefanSD

charlespe
12:27 Fri 7/18/2014

Well I have seen people use not only beer but cola and soda as you have mentioned. It is just as effective as a cleaning product, This blog can give them more information http://www.swisscubancigars.com/blog/