RateBeer
home Home > Forums >
Beer Talk | Site News | Beer Trade | Beer Travel | Food/Beer | For Sale | New Here | Homebrew | Non-US | Industry | OT - Lite | OT - Medium

What is up w/ Sam Adams?

read 1121 times • 27 replies • posted 8/14/2014 7:35:48 AM

Page 1 | 2 | 3

premium
Frank 2929:55
This has always bothered me. Sam Adams is clearly capable of brewing great beer. Their flagship lager is damned good and Noble Pils, for example, is excellent. The majority of their other offerings tend to be average at best. And they are not even just bland or boring are something; they are not well brewed, w/ metallic and other off flavors all over the place.

How can this be? Do they just realize consumers donít know or care if Sam Adams Auntumnal Scotch Irish Amber Stout tastes like chewing on a Tums and cut corners? I had long thought that it was because most of these were kind of one off type things where they just brewed them once and didnít get a chance to dial them in but Sierra Nevadaís Band Camp series has me convinced that a large brewery w/ Sam Adamís resources should be able to at least do a decent job of any beer the brew even if they do it once.

So what do you all think?
Reply to OP

Private message Send the author a private message

premium
RABinCO 1365:81
Iíve had tons of QC issues with Sam Adams, including instances of the lager being a butter bomb.
8/14/2014 7:44:22 AM

Post a reply Post reply

Private message send the author a private message

premium
Gary 1407:3
Maybe they donít care about this thread
8/14/2014 8:38:48 AM

Post a reply Post reply

premium
RABinCO 1365:81
Originally posted by Gary
Maybe they donít care about this thread

Impossible. Only kind, generous dudes, and this is key to my counterargument, with tons of passion can produce beer. Or so Iíve been told.
8/14/2014 8:45:03 AM

Post a reply Post reply

premium
Originally posted by RABinCO
Iíve had tons of QC issues with Sam Adams, including instances of the lager being a butter bomb.

Do they still contract brew some of their beers? This could be another cause of inconsistency.
8/14/2014 9:06:14 AM

Post a reply Post reply

premium
TheHOFF43 1756:109
I donít drink much Sam Adams because I donít care for the majority of it and there is almost always something better available.
8/14/2014 9:11:07 AM

Post a reply Post reply

premium
admin
joet 2188:91
I honestly donít have time for anyone doing a "decent job" with any beer. There are even moderately high rated beers that I need to pass up in order to get potentially great beers into the pipeline.

If Iím buying Sam Adams, Iím not looking to be blown away. Few to none actually are, I would think. Iím still glad theyíre around and pushing more flavor into macro territory.
8/14/2014 9:20:57 AM

Post a reply Post reply

premium
Ernest 6258:165
Originally posted by RABinCO

Indeed, even Noble Pils is not particularly clean; it is more so than a lot of their beers, perhaps, but still overall average (high 2 to low 3) IMHO. So I personally havenít found too much quality variation across their line, including the small batch stuff...they all tend to fall in the 2.0 to 3.0 range for me.
8/14/2014 9:46:09 AM

Post a reply Post reply

premium
tennisjoel 1180:32
I used to love their hoppy imperial pilsner. Not sure why they ditched it?
8/14/2014 9:57:09 AM

Post a reply Post reply

premium
I wouldnít expect many folks here to be in love w/ Sam Adams general output. They do not seem to be swinging for the fences for beer geeks anyway. It just seems to me like they could do a more reliable job of putting out something that if not great could at least be devoid of flaws. I dunno... maybe people like a little bit of coppery bite to their IPAs.
8/14/2014 10:25:45 AM

Post a reply Post reply

premium
GT2 8507:604
I respect them and glad they are are around, but I have not bought any beer from them in a long time.
8/14/2014 10:39:53 AM

Post a reply Post reply

Home > Forums > Beer Talk

Reply to Thread     
Page 1 | 2 | 3
Copyright © 2000-2014,
RateBeer LLC. All rights
reserved.
about us
About RateBeer
FAQ