Ballantine IPA Returning

Reads 781 • Replies 5 • Started Friday, August 15, 2014 11:28:49 AM CT

The forums you're viewing are the static, archived version. You won't be able to post or reply here.
Our new, modern forums are here:
RateBeer Forums

Thread Frozen

boto
beers 2444 º places 104 º 11:28 Fri 8/15/2014

Looks like the Ballantine brand is going to attempt a comeback.

http://www.syracuse.com/drinks/index.ssf/2014/08/ballantine_ipa_--_a_bridge_to.html

I’m not nearly old enough to have had it, but I remember Dad used to drink some form of Ballantine. They used to have their logo on the scoreboard at Connie Mack Stadium, if I remember correctly.

Bitterbill
beers 3241 º places 25 º 17:00 Fri 8/15/2014

Ballantine beer, XXX Ale, IPA, I’ve had them all. lol. The Lager when Ballantine was an existing brewery, the other 2 when they were brewed by Falstaff. I won’t see the new rendition of the IPA since its distro will be the NE area but that’s okay. I alway preferred the unbalanced flavour of the XXX.

StefanSD
beers 2449 º places 57 º 17:06 Fri 8/15/2014

Shame, its going to be contract brewed by Cold Springs Brewing.

Drjohnrock
beers 1292 º places 67 º 17:14 Fri 8/15/2014

Originally posted by StefanSD

I’m no partisan of Cold Springs but it might stand a better chance of being good than if a Miller brewery put it out.

Bitterbill
beers 3241 º places 25 º 17:31 Fri 8/15/2014

Is it really that hard for experienced brewers to follow a recipe?

SamGamgee
beers 2452 º places 182 º 20:23 Fri 8/15/2014

Originally posted by StefanSD

You don’t think they are doing a pretty good job with the 21st Amendment cans these days? I think throe beers have been pretty good, especially since they did the big renovation and new brewhouse. I would say that Cold Spring now has a proven record of brewing solid IPAs, and this new deal makes sense as I would suspect that their contract with 21st Amendment will dry up once 21st Amendment’s new brewery in San Leandro hits its stride.

This is also interesting because I’ve heard that PBR sales have peaked and they are probably looking to chase the "hipster market" or whatever that floated them over the last decade. Going back to the IPA style seems like a logical move, actually, as the style is now cooler than retro lager for most 20-somethings, at least in metro areas.

Now we’ll have to see if they try to stay true to the original beer or go for a more modern IPA.