Green Flash Green Bullet: what am I missing?

Reads 2214 • Replies 28 • Started Thursday, August 21, 2014 2:11:12 PM CT

The forums you're viewing are the static, archived version. You won't be able to post or reply here.
Our new, modern forums are here:
RateBeer Forums

Thread Frozen

spacecoyote
14:11 Thu 8/21/2014

I just bought a 4pk of this triple IPA (sic), with a "best-by" of February 2015, and I gotta say, it’s kind of disappointing. And when I say "kind of", I mean "totally".

It has no aroma character, with an almost malt liquor like flavor and bitter finish. It doesn’t taste stale or oxidized, but it tastes and smells nothing like the label suggests. From my perspective, as an experienced taster, Green Flash has done nothing but underwhelm me lately. Every time I try something new or different from them it is forgettable at best.

Did I miss the boat with this one?

Or did I get duped by a beverage center in to clearing out old stock? Was it brewed so long ago that all the fresh character has mellowed right out of it?

Thoughts?

(Does anyone know how to infer a packaging date from the "best by" with Green Flash?)

whaleman
beers 2178 º places 25 º 14:18 Thu 8/21/2014

This website has a ratings feature for this exact purpose.

RABinCO
beers 1511 º places 103 º 14:23 Thu 8/21/2014

It’s seasonal availability is september-december. so it’s probably incredibly fresh.

spacecoyote
14:29 Thu 8/21/2014

Originally posted by whaleman

Thanks for the heads up, but I don’t rate. And if I were to start, it wouldn’t be with a review of a stale beer.

whaleman
beers 2178 º places 25 º 14:31 Thu 8/21/2014

Originally posted by spacecoyote
Originally posted by whaleman

Thanks for the heads up, but I don’t rate. And if I were to start, it wouldn’t be with a review of a stale beer.

I respect that.

spacecoyote
14:33 Thu 8/21/2014

Originally posted by RABinCO
It’s seasonal availability is september-december. so it’s probably incredibly fresh.

Your sarcasm aside, thanks for the info. I bought this beer because the clerk said, "we just got this in", so I foolishly, like a carpenter, thought that meant that it was fresh. Next time I’ll try to not be in such a hurry.

edit: Like so many folks nowadays, I have a taste for hops. It’s a deep-seated obsessive passion for fresh and hoppy beer. This was to be my after work brew, and all I’m left with is a light buzz and medicinal taste on my tongue. Bummer, for sure.

HonkeyBra
beers 4044 º places 13 º 14:42 Thu 8/21/2014

(Does anyone know how to infer a packaging date from the "best by" with Green Flash?)

Per http://freshbeeronly.com/ , which is a great resource by the way,

Green Flash: Uses a bottled on date. It’s on the cartons and now, more importantly, on the bottles. On the bottom of the bottle, below the label. Best Before dates have been seen in CO specifically.

Further, they recently did a label redesign, so if the label doesn’t look like the new labels it is likely last years batch.

RABinCO
beers 1511 º places 103 º 14:44 Thu 8/21/2014

Your sarcasm aside, thanks for the info. I bought this beer because the clerk said, "we just got this in", so I foolishly, like a carpenter, thought that meant that it was fresh. Next time I’ll try to not be in such a hurry.

edit: Like so many folks nowadays, I have a taste for hops. It’s a deep-seated obsessive passion for fresh and hoppy beer. This was to be my after work brew, and all I’m left with is a light buzz and medicinal taste on my tongue. Bummer, for sure.

I’m not being sarcastic. It’s probably from the latest batch and hit shelves early.

RABinCO
beers 1511 º places 103 º 14:47 Thu 8/21/2014

I don’t think Green Flash would put out an IPA in the Fall of 2013 with a best by date of February 2015.

Homer321
beers 5369 º places 54 º 14:49 Thu 8/21/2014

I don’t think Green Flash would out out an IPA in the Fall of 2013 with a best by date of February 2015.

Quoted for truth

spacecoyote
14:52 Thu 8/21/2014

Originally posted by HonkeyBra

Per http://freshbeeronly.com/ , which is a great resource by the way,

Green Flash: Uses a bottled on date. It’s on the cartons and now, more importantly, on the bottles. On the bottom of the bottle, below the label. Best Before dates have been seen in CO specifically.

Further, they recently did a label redesign, so if the label doesn’t look like the new labels it is likely last years batch.

Definitely the new label design, "best by" is 02/01/15. The stamp on the bottom of the bottles is illegible.