Black Damnation II - Mocha Bomb

Reads 2049 • Replies 18 • Started Saturday, August 23, 2014 5:28:19 AM CT

The forums you're viewing are the static, archived version. You won't be able to post or reply here.
Our new, modern forums are here:
RateBeer Forums

Thread Frozen

ABT_S54
beers 352 º 05:28 Sat 8/23/2014

Advice needed!

I have brought out a Mocha Bomb for tonight’s celebrations and have noticed that the surface of the beer at the neck has white "flakes" floating in it. Almost like solidified fat!

I am aware this is not normal but has anybody experienced anything similar? From reading various reviews they are quite a few reports of "infected" bottles and up to yet I have been very lucky in that regard.

Is this worth opening or should I return to the seller?

VsXsV
beers 5000 º places 92 º 05:58 Sat 8/23/2014

Different kinds of yeast and bacteria tend to produce those kinds of flakes (brettanomyces, lactobacillus etc). Sounds like it could be an infection. I’ve heard that De Struise has had problems with the 750 ml bottles of some Black Damnation beers.

ABT_S54
beers 352 º 06:47 Sat 8/23/2014

Thanks for the reply. I have checked my others III and XII and they both have it albeit to a smaller degree.

As you say they are both 750ml bottles too...

rood
beers 93 º places 5 º 07:06 Sat 8/23/2014

The white flakes are a mold we call in dutch "Kaam"; it is a sort of candida but shouldn’t effect flavor. That is what I’ve learned..

FYI: I’ve openend around 5 bottles of 75 Black Damnation (Coffee Club, Black Mes, Mocha Bomb) and all the bottles were infected.

Band-aid & gushing. In my opinion, this means that Brett is in the bottle.

Struise should come clean about this one...

Homer321
beers 5369 º places 54 º 07:12 Sat 8/23/2014

Originally posted by rood
...and all the bottles were infected.

Band-aid & gushing.

Struise should come clean about this one...

Same thing here. Especially grinds my gears since bottles in the US were $40 or more for a 750ml.

ABT_S54
beers 352 º 07:21 Sat 8/23/2014

That may explain the gushing with both bottles of Coffee Club I have opened (however, I have never noticed the white flakes before).

Interestingly, I have never experienced the gushing with Black Berry Albert or S.H.I.T.

BMMillsy
beers 1788 º places 120 º 10:05 Sat 8/23/2014

Both Mocha Bomb and Black Mes were sour when I got them within the past year (750 mls). Pretty sad at $43 a piece. Luckily got store credit. My local store is this shizzz.

bytemesis
beers 15304 º places 1595 º 11:57 Sat 8/23/2014

My understanding is that the majority, if not all, of the recent 750 releases were pretty infected. I feel bad for the retailers, because once word got out people quickly stopped shelling out $40 for the bottles. Still shelf turds in several stores around here.

Christos
beers 6111 º places 110 º 12:06 Sat 8/23/2014

I didn’t notice any of the flakes in my bottles when I opened them, also not on the ones I have in the cellar. They gushed a bit to be honest, but not an exploding gush, more like the foam keeps filling the bottle and coming out of it slowly even after I have filled a full glass.

I had noticed those white flakes in a bottle of http://www.ratebeer.com/beer/de-molen-koetjes-kalfjes-milk-stout/186548/ which was almost undrinkable.

ABT_S54
beers 352 º 15:06 Sat 8/23/2014

Thanks for the replies all.

I opted for the Black Mes tonight which had some white flakes in the neck but not as much as the Mocha Bomb. No gushing and tasted pretty good but not on par with Coffee Club or Black Berry Albert. Hopefully, the others will be ok as they are saved for special occasions but I do have back-up Imperial Stouts if they are (as it appears they may be) infected.

Cheers.

craftycarl21
beers 2338 º places 93 º 15:22 Sat 8/23/2014

I can’t say for sure whether this had to do with infection as people here have said, but the initial batch of these beers in 11.2 oz. bottles years ago was miles better than any iteration of this most recent batch, keg or bottle.