The defense of aging

Reads 6125 • Replies 90 • Started Saturday, October 25, 2014 3:50:47 AM CT

The forums you're viewing are the static, archived version. You won't be able to post or reply here.
Our new, modern forums are here:
RateBeer Forums

Thread Frozen

FatPhil
beers 26061 º places 995 º 03:50 Sat 10/25/2014

Recently, some Chimey Bleu 2006 hit the shops and bars locally - it’s lovely, so much more interesting as a sipper than a fresh one which while very nice is a little dull. (At least it seems that way after having a few aged ones.)

Last night I cracked open a Mohawk Barley Wine from I guess 2009, its BB was 2013/06, and again, it was superb.

We also cracked open a Stone Vertical Epis 090909, and that was *stunning*. I don’t know if I should be recommending people to drink theirs now to experience it in its 5-year-old glory, as I believe has legs for many more years.

Why all the "rot box" hate. The right beers age wonderfully.

b3shine
beers 12178 º places 372 º 04:03 Sat 10/25/2014

Because you score mad bronus points if you turn your back on cellaring and use terms like "rot box."

You’re right; the right beers do age wonderfully.

lithy
beers 2996 º places 156 º 04:38 Sat 10/25/2014

In defense of aging hate:

I think the ’all old beer sucks’ mantra is useful as an educational tool. It will certainly help new folks not waste as much money as the ’all beer should be cellared’ mantra. The statement of course should be ’most old beer sucks’, but that doesn’t make for good internet opinion.

I will expound about the worthlessness of aging to anyone that wants to hear it. I also have a dozen bottles of OHanlons Thomas Hardy’s laying about. Those are the good examples. I also have a few bottles of 2007 DFH 120 Minute that I can’t bear to think about drinking. Those are the bad examples.

I’m interested though that two of the examples you name you just rated when you had the aged versions. You really have nothing to compare to, right? 09 VE was my favorite of the VE beers that I had fresh, so it stands to reason that it can still be pretty good years on.

It all comes down to knowing oxidation products and their effect on beer. The educational part of this discussion is that a lot of people are unable to recognize in which ways the beer has changed since fresh and why. Old beer is not intrinsically better or worse, but it is different and I suppose it is up to each individual to find out if they like one or the other or both.

Of course if they like more than 1% of old beer they try, they’re probably wrong.

spacecoyote
06:23 Sat 10/25/2014

There’s a special level of Hell reserved for those who don’t properly cellar their beer.

FatPhil
beers 26061 º places 995 º 06:57 Sat 10/25/2014

If I only have the chance of having one bottle, such as the VE, I will look at other people’s reviews and work out if it has, fresh, properties that I’m less keen on (I’m less of a fan of sweet beers, for example). It was/is a gamble. More often than no it works out. But I cannot overstate how much I rely on other people’s reviews to help me decide.

Gary
beers 2114 º places 4 º 07:05 Sat 10/25/2014

Orval , as ive said before needs age - the brett and dryness is too subtle when fresh . give it six months plus .

Gary
beers 2114 º places 4 º 07:12 Sat 10/25/2014

chimay blue is a waste of time fresh -too earthy, too floral and too uncomplex . with age it becomes really good from 750mls . the red too. i recall christmas day 2008 etched into my mind - having a four year old 750ml chimay red that blew my balls away with its musty complexity but have never had one that good since.

DietPepsican
beers 1592 º places 63 º 07:15 Sat 10/25/2014

I had a 86, 93, and 2006 Thomas hardys the other day. The 2006 was the worst of the bunch, just tasted like big sweet alcoholic raisin juice. The 86 was interesting, lots of notes you’d get in sherry and port, some odd sewer notes. 96 was probably the best, although I don’t think anyone in our group would have been able to finish more than the 2 ounce samples of any of them.

I think that’s my problem with aged beer. waiting 28 years to hope you have a bottle of beer that aged well and tastes like sherry and port when I can buy worlds better sherry and port on the shelf....that just doesn’t compute to me. It’s fun to show some greenhorns here at work that aging isn’t always bad I guess. The idea and novelty sound good in theory but it rarely is worth the time or money. If people want beer to cellar, feel free. Some people love those notes in beer. It’s not for me, never will be, and I’m pretty bitter about being an idiot and cellaring beer. Lost 100s of bees to what was basically hoarding. Never again. I still think cellaring is a fun and interesting hobby, just need to age the right kind of beverages.

Gary
beers 2114 º places 4 º 07:26 Sat 10/25/2014

yes waiting for beers to age is tough ,especially if you’re an alcoholic

fly
beers 1490 º places 271 º 07:45 Sat 10/25/2014

Originally posted by b3shine
the right beers do age wonderfully.

mostly THIS

we all have different tastes and opinions> enjoy what you will.

+ if you drink aged beers, you will die.

fly
beers 1490 º places 271 º 07:46 Sat 10/25/2014

But what about aged beer lovers?