Toronto to DC Stops?

Reads 2083 • Replies 28 • Started Wednesday, December 31, 2014 12:16:06 PM CT

The forums you're viewing are the static, archived version. You won't be able to post or reply here.
Our new, modern forums are here:
RateBeer Forums

Thread Frozen

jercraigs
beers 14850 º places 1049 º 12:16 Wed 12/31/2014

So my parents are proposing a trip to Washington DC in March. We’d fly down and meet them there and drive home.

Google maps says its about 9hrs driving which is probably closer to 12 with stops and the border. Any suggestions on where to stop for the night? Things to see on the way?

State College - Not super far from Washington, decent beer.
Ellicotville - Gets a bit more driving done the first day.
Pittsburgh - Never been and I am keen to go, but seems like I’d probably pay more for a hotel just to have one night there?
Other?

In Washington we will be doing lots of museums. Any tips on can’t miss stuff? Good beer places to take my parents who are not really beer people? Pizzeria Paradiso and Scion looked like potential options? The Partisan since it is close to The Mall and Smithsonian?

Cheers!

Travlr
beers 33850 º places 4573 º 13:02 Wed 12/31/2014

Pizza Boy/Al’s of Hampden is close to your route, try not to miss it. There are many others, but that one jumps out at me.

If you want an off-the-beaten-track thing to see in DC, tour the Diplomatic Reception Rooms at the State Department. Sign up here: https://diplomaticrooms.state.gov/home.aspx

Partisan is owned by Neighborhood Restaurant Group, the same group that owns Churchkey. Churchkey is only a 10-15 minute walk from the Mall and has a much better atmosphere and selection, but Partisan (and Red Apron next door) is worth a quick stop. Downstairs from Churchkey, Birch & Barley makes an amazing dinner stop, with the same beer selection as CK.

If your parents want to see Georgetown (for the shopping or the Exorcist sites, etc) hit Birreria Paradiso on M Street.

Some breweries are easy to reach by Metro, like Bluejacket and Right Proper. Some of the rest have free beer on Saturdays but you need a car.

The National Portrait Gallery in Chinatown is terrific, and not as crowded as the Mall; Iron Horse, District Chophouse and RFD are all nearby.

We have a very active tasting group here, hit us up and we’ll meet you somewhere or host a food/beer thing that your parents would survive. A brewer friend from New Zealand will be in town also.

BMMillsy
beers 1788 º places 120 º 13:23 Wed 12/31/2014

Church brewing in Pittsburgh is worth checking out. The food is decent but the beer sucks. But doubt you’ll find a brewpub/brewery that looks like that anywhere else.

mdg164
18:35 Wed 12/31/2014

You could venture towards Philly and make a stop at tired hands if you want to struggle to park and are into terrible, over-rated beer.

Lancaster PA is your best bet, a ton of great breweries, and plenty of touristy stuff to see and do. I suggest you hit troeggs, Lancaster brewing, and spring house. Victory is not too far away either.

If you do Pittsburgh, I completely agree about the church, cool building, decent food, terrible beer. East end makes the best beer in town, Rivertowne pour house is excellent, and the Hofbräuhaus is a lot of fun and has great food.

beastiefan2k
beers 5008 º places 294 º 18:42 Wed 12/31/2014

Church’s beer is fine, imo. The seasonals can be very good actually.

Otto’s in State College was good a few years ago.

If you drive through Williamsport you can go to Bullfrog

In Harrisburg are 2 decent breweries.

solidfunk
beers 20004 º places 1037 º 19:01 Wed 12/31/2014

Nice one! Churchkey isn’t to be missed man. Max’s in Baltimore is the only other beer bar around that competes really. And if you do go to Bmore hit Stillwater’s de facto brewpub of love and regret. Very good food as well.

UDBeernut
beers 2883 º places 348 º 19:23 Wed 12/31/2014

Skip ellicottville and go to meadvile, pa with voodoo if heading towards Pittsburgh. If going closer to harrisburg hit Selinsgrove instead. It’s more direct from Buffalo to DC via US 11 than down I-79. Also could hit Bull frog in Williamsport, Pa that way

Lots of good stuff around Harrisburg: Troegs, Lancaster brewing, Stoudts,

Radek Kliber
beers 8151 º places 419 º 20:16 Wed 12/31/2014

I would visit Slippery Rock on the way to PB

nuplastikk
beers 9832 º places 73 º 22:07 Wed 12/31/2014

Baltimore...
1. Maxs on Broadway...one of the best beer lists out there...in Fells Point, a cool neighborhood. Pub food,but the tap and list is unstoppable.
2. Brewers Art. Really well made beers in a cool old mansion. Unique, cool atmosphere. Good food too.

mdg164
09:59 Thu 1/1/2015

If you go to slippery rock. North country brewing has amazing food, but mediocre beer. In Baltimore,I would second the brewers art.... That place is great, heavy seas and duclaw are nice too.

jercraigs
beers 14850 º places 1049 º 12:05 Thu 1/1/2015

Thanks guys! I was originally avoiding Williamsport and that part of PA as the halfway home point since we have already been a couple times on the way to Campground Brewdown but I am now leaning towards it mostly because the driving times seem like they’d make sense, but we shall see.

Any neighbourhoods in DC to stay in or to AVOID? Hoping I can find an AirBNB for the four of us that is cheaper than a hotel. My mom mentioned staying near a shuttle that takes you to the various museums but I haven’t looked into that yet.

Travlr - I don’t think we’d necessarily be up for a tasting but maybe a meet up? Will see closer to the trip maybe. I’m not sure how much beer stuff we can drag my parent’s to :)