Fruit beer question

Reads 359 • Replies 4 • Started Wednesday, January 28, 2015 6:24:19 AM CT

The forums you're viewing are the static, archived version. You won't be able to post or reply here.
Our new, modern forums are here:
RateBeer Forums

Thread Frozen

JefVerstraete
beers 7051 º places 216 º 06:24 Wed 1/28/2015

Is there anybody who can explain why for example the Solstice fruit beers from Dieu du Ciel are categorized under Berliner Weisse and not under fruit beer? The base beer is indeed a Berliner Weisse but why is for example Hoegaarden Rosée a Fruit beer and not a Belgian White? Or To Øl I’ve Seen Bigger Than Yours a fruit beer and not a Barley wine? I don’t see any consistency in this case.

Leighton
beers 33714 º places 1204 º 07:02 Wed 1/28/2015

These types of beers exist on a continuum. Just because fruit is in a beer does not automatically make it a ’fruit beer’ according to RB styles. Where fruit is the primary, dominant character, the beer will typically be classified as ’fruit beer’.

Of course, there are beers that slip under the radar, and admins are constantly re-classifying beers when necessary. If you have a specific suggestion, the best option is to submit a correction for the beer in question so that a local admin can address it.

joet
admin
beers 2900 º places 125 º 10:30 Wed 1/28/2015

^^^ perfect answer

JefVerstraete
beers 7051 º places 216 º 10:33 Wed 1/28/2015

Thanks!

Frank
beers 4561 º places 92 º 10:38 Wed 1/28/2015

It seems to me that fruit is practically standard in a Berliner Weisse. It is most certainly not traditional to have them in the packaged beer (as opposed to serving them w/ syrup) but we were dealing w/ what was basically a dead style that has been brought back in a modern interpretation. It’s gotta be over half of them in the database that contain fruit. Same thing goes for gose.

It’s a little different when their is an established and frequently brewed style like wits and barleywine (in this case). Fruit beers are tricky to fuck w/ the brewer’s intent model for classification since there are very often two styles indicated on the label (fruit beer vs. base style). One of those places where it is unavoidable that admins must make a judgment call.