Schramm’s Black Agnes

Reads 594 • Replies 7 • Started Monday, May 4, 2015 7:28:50 PM CT

The forums you're viewing are the static, archived version. You won't be able to post or reply here.
Our new, modern forums are here:
RateBeer Forums

Thread Frozen

pushkinwow
beers 3602 º places 174 º 19:28 Mon 5/4/2015

Knowing nothing about this until I looked it up 1 minute ago is this considered a mead whale/what is distribution/numbers/availability like?

Also is this something that could actually sit for a a few years or does it need to be drunk reasonably quickly?

umich03jm
beers 3512 º places 13 º 19:49 Mon 5/4/2015

I’ll take a stab at answering this but I think there may be others on here that know more.

I wouldn’t call it a whale exactly but it’s highly sought after. They’ve made 3 batches of it so far. Seems to be about every 6 months or so. Not sure on the total bottle count but limit was 6 per person on this recent release and they lasted only 2 days I believe. I heard there was a very small distribution too but I never saw it anywhere. People at Schramm’s say their meads will age very well and I believe them. I can’t speak from experience though because I either drink them quickly or trade em.

Bacterial
beers 3140 º places 134 º 19:57 Mon 5/4/2015

Mead whale! Kind of like a Nar whale?

mikem409
beers 2032 º places 251 º 20:43 Mon 5/4/2015

They bottled 2,000+

WillRunForBeer
beers 2859 º places 24 º 21:29 Mon 5/4/2015

Any mead from Schramm’s is highly desirable. Ken Schramm wrote the book on brewing mead, literally. His meads are flawless with very natural flavors. Of the Schramm’s meads that I have been lucky enough to try (thanks, umich03jm!) Black Agnes is one if the best.

In general, meads age remarkably well, if stored properly.

arminjewell
beers 9756 º places 10 º 21:32 Mon 5/4/2015

Originally posted by WillRunForBeer
Any mead from Schramm’s is highly desirable. Ken Schramm wrote the book on brewing mead, literally. His meads are flawless with very natural flavors. Of the Schramm’s meads that I have been lucky enough to try (thanks, umich03jm!) Black Agnes is one if the best.

In general, meads age remarkably well, if stored properly.

This. I think more than the bottle counts/distribution, which isn’t very high to begin with, the quality is the reason they are sought after.

pushkinwow
beers 3602 º places 174 º 07:50 Wed 5/6/2015

K - thanks for the info. Although mead is not my thing may have to try and get one (or an empty bottle) as a keepsake for our little girl. And given the entry into the terrible twos right now it would be even more appropriate!

BlowOffTube
beers 501 º places 2 º 08:05 Wed 5/6/2015

If anyone has a spare let me know.