Steve_0 does Boston and Vermont

Reads 1250 • Replies 12 • Started Wednesday, May 13, 2015 3:04:46 PM CT

The forums you're viewing are the static, archived version. You won't be able to post or reply here.
Our new, modern forums are here:
RateBeer Forums

Thread Frozen

Steve_0
beers 3744 º places 142 º 15:04 Wed 5/13/2015

Fellow RBers my wife and I will be descending upon Boston and VT starting May 21st through the 26th. I will be coming in 4 days prior to that for work, but don’t anticipate having much time for anything.

Anyways, we are headed to Waterbury Vermont on the evening of the 21st and plan on hitting Prohibition Pig and the Craft Beer Cellar. We will then be getting up early to go to Hill Farmstead, picking up bottles and growlers, going to Willey’s for some cheese and heading back to Boston.

I’ve checked out some other threads and have a few things on my radar in Boston like Lord Hobo, Trillium, and Row 34, but also want to get a better perspective from locals. We will be staying towards the North End and don’t want to venture too far (the trip to Vermont is because I’m an HF fanboy), so places near the central metro are appreciated. What time should I get in line at the brewery to be towards the front of the line? I really don’t want to wait in line for 3+ hours.

What are some other must stops?
What is my best bet for picking up Alchemist and Lawson’s stuff?
Favorite places to eat? (doesn’t have to be beer oriented)
Favorite places for Coffee and breakfast?
Must see touristy spots?
Any other suggestions . . .

Also I would love to set up some IP trades either in Boston, at Prohibition Pig, or at Hill Farmstead (on Friday May 22nd). Really looking for anything hoppy from Tree House, Alchemist, or Lawsons. Would love to get some cans from these guys as I just don’t think I will have time to go to Hunger Mountain or go searching around. Would also be looking for anything from HF thats not currently on the shelf or barrel-aged stuff. I can bring stuff from Casey, Crooked Stave reserve beers from 2013 or 2014, recent Crooked Stave or Avery releases, Ale Apothecary, Jester King Atrial or Nocturn, and plenty of others in the cellar. Just let me know and we can discuss.

Thanks for looking and all advice is much appreciated!!

Steve_0
beers 3744 º places 142 º 15:38 Wed 5/13/2015

Originally posted by adnielsen

Def plan on pete’ing JesusofVT’s C@, will send pics. Bummer on Marijuana.

Serious responses also welcome

t0rin0
beers 102 º places 1528 º 16:45 Wed 5/13/2015

I thought someone in the other thread said the cat had died.

WillRunForBeer
beers 2859 º places 24 º 17:16 Wed 5/13/2015

You may want to stick around in VT on the 22nd... Hill Farmstead’s Anniversary celebration starts that day at Three Penny Taproom in Montpelier (and Farmhouse Tap & Grill in Burlington). Basically a tap takeover.
Your best bet for Heady Topper on Friday is Stowe. If you go when you leave HFS, you can hit Lost Nation in Morrisville on the way. Good food and good beer. Rock Art is also in Morrisville if you want a few extra VT ticks. I’ve gotten Lawson’s Sip of Sunshine at Hunger Mountain in Montpelier on a Friday morning. Might have some luck there. If you are in. Montpelier in the morning, Skinny Pancake is great for breakfast. Get a Crepe Monsoir (crepe with egg, ham, cheese, real maple syrup) and a can of Heady Topper. :)
If you end up going by when they are open, stop at Coffee Coffee in Salem, NH (not far off 93, just before you reach MA). Don’t be fooled by the breakfast cafe look of the place, or the strip mall location. They roast their own beans, and have some of the best in the area.
When in Boston, hit Night Shift Brewing in Everett. Great taproom, usually lots of beers available on tap, food trucks on the weekend.
An IP trade or share might be a possibility as well. I live less than an hour from Boston. Shoot me a BM and we can try and work something out.
Cheers!

pushkinwow
beers 3602 º places 174 º 17:59 Wed 5/13/2015

Wiley’s is awesome - watch out for the chickens though!
Also recommend stopping in at Caledonia Spirits to try their gin and vodka - amazing products and friendly staff; its pretty much directly on the route to HF if you go to Wiley’s from Waterbury.

FrumptyDumpty
23:34 Wed 5/13/2015

Originally posted by adnielsen

Clover died last year

Steve_0
beers 3744 º places 142 º 15:11 Sun 5/17/2015

Thanks for all the feedback everyone it is much appreciated. I will update here once we finalize our plans and let you know how it went.

Cheers!

wchesser
beers 2435 º places 44 º 10:33 Mon 5/18/2015

At the risk of highjacking the thread, I’m heading out to Boston in a few hours for work just till Wednesday. I’ll be staying down by Dorchester and it looks like the Trillium tap room is close but from reviews it doesn’t look that great unless you just want to pick up a growler. I probably won’t have time to get up to Lord Hobo or anything...any good suggestions on best taps in that area to get some good locals? Best bottle shops and any current releases not to miss out on?

mkgrenwel
beers 619 º places 117 º 10:44 Mon 5/18/2015

Go to Row 34 and then grab a growler at Trillium.

MacBoost
beers 2074 º places 37 º 10:53 Mon 5/18/2015

Hey Steve-O, I’ll be @ HF On Thursday if you want to swap nude pics

wchesser
beers 2435 º places 44 º 21:18 Mon 5/18/2015

Originally posted by mkgrenwel
Go to Row 34 and then grab a growler at Trillium.

^Roger that and done! Thanks!