Feedback on new UK craft beer magazine

Reads 1994 • Replies 38 • Started Wednesday, May 27, 2015 12:44:51 AM CT

The forums you're viewing are the static, archived version. You won't be able to post or reply here.
Our new, modern forums are here:
RateBeer Forums

Thread Frozen

beercraig25
00:44 Wed 5/27/2015

Hi there, me and a few others have launched a new craft beer magazine focusing on the UK side of things - but still encompassing all news from small breweries to the bigger deals, with an emphasis on fresh content and insights from within the industry. I would be super grateful if some of you could have a quick look and write any, and i mean any, feedback.

All criticisms welcomed as they’ll help up improve - and especially from you lot as we really respect your opinion. The website is craftbeerworld.co.uk But the publication is CraftBeerWorldUK(There is also an unrelated book called Craft Beer World).

We also have a nascent review section which in now way means to challenge ratebeer, and is just getting of the ground.
Cheers!

harrisoni
beers 25356 º places 68 º 01:52 Wed 5/27/2015

Link to the magazine? Found website but no mention of the magazine.

beercraig25
03:38 Wed 5/27/2015

Hi Harrison, unfortunately we are online only at the moment -as in the website is the magazine, the dream is to be able to launch a print version in the autumn, cheers

tdtm82
beers 1704 º places 138 º 05:31 Wed 5/27/2015

I think you should change the name as Craft Beer World is already a book and the author may be annoyed. Also have you defined what craft beer is? There is a UK standard definition which is being launched at the moment. Do you undersand what craft beer is here and what it isn’t? If you’re focussing on big breweries I would hesitate to use the word craft.

chriso
beers 7540 º places 736 º 06:15 Wed 5/27/2015

Originally posted by tdtm82
Also have you defined what craft beer is? There is a UK standard definition which is being launched at the moment.

Who by?

Leighton
beers 33712 º places 1204 º 06:21 Wed 5/27/2015

Originally posted by chriso
Also have you defined what craft beer is? There is a UK standard definition which is being launched at the moment.

Who by?

There is a group in the UK building an entity akin to the US-based Brewers Association. The founding members are BrewDog, Beavertown, Camden and Magic Rock (am I forgetting someone?).

konstifik
beers 573 º places 37 º 06:24 Wed 5/27/2015

Who by?

I would assume he’s talking about the one coming soon from United Craft Brewers, a new association founded by Brewdog, Magic Rock, Beavertown and Camden Town (or rather some of the guys behind those breweries).

konstifik
beers 573 º places 37 º 06:31 Wed 5/27/2015

The magazine in the OP actually has an article about the launch of UCB and mentions them defining craft beer in the UK.

chriso
beers 7540 º places 736 º 06:44 Wed 5/27/2015

Originally posted by Leighton

Who by?

There is a group in the UK building an entity akin to the US-based Brewers Association. The founding members are BrewDog, Beavertown, Camden and Magic Rock (am I forgetting someone?).

Oh that. I seem to recall BrewDog have been blathering on about it for a few years. To be honest, by most attempted definitions I’ve seen it would be easier to simply name the few brewers who are not "craft brewers" and all the rest, by a process of elimination, are "craft brewers" (whether, or not, they are members of some association or other).

Erlangernick
beers 6 º places 2 º 07:01 Wed 5/27/2015

Or breweries could simply carry on with brewing and selling beer, rather than inventing press about "craft" this or that.

chriso
beers 7540 º places 736 º 07:07 Wed 5/27/2015

Originally posted by Erlangernick
Or breweries could simply carry on with brewing and selling beer, rather than inventing press about "craft" this or that.

Indeed.

Pretty much any boring old school microbrewery of the last forty years would qualify for any definition of "craft brewer" that I’ve ever seen, even if the brewer/consumers are more likely to be sporting a beard (and sandals) than a beard (and tattoos).