A-B loses lawsuit over Becks

Reads 792 • Replies 10 • Started Friday, June 26, 2015 11:48:55 PM CT

The forums you're viewing are the static, archived version. You won't be able to post or reply here.
Our new, modern forums are here:
RateBeer Forums

Thread Frozen

DYCSoccer17
beers 3746 º places 344 º 23:48 Fri 6/26/2015

bartlebier
beers 4526 º places 177 º 09:15 Sat 6/27/2015

And that’s even before TTIP has been lobbied through.

If they were brewing it in their US plants using US hops and local water, then it should rightly be considered a non-German macrolager? Not sure whether Stella, Heineken etc use local ingredients in their different export plants?

Never had a US-made Becks, would be interested to compare.

OldGrowth
beers 3472 º places 204 º 09:40 Sat 6/27/2015

a nation yawns

bartlebier
beers 4526 º places 177 º 11:20 Sat 6/27/2015

Originally posted by OldGrowth
a nation yawns

Two nations, so widely that multiple pints of Becks can be gulped whilst doing so.

X
beers 172 º places 1 º 12:50 Sat 6/27/2015

Headline should be ’Lawyers Get Richer’

peepthesot
beers 10 º places 6 º 18:13 Sat 6/27/2015

Originally posted by bartlebier
And that’s even before TTIP has been lobbied through.

If they were brewing it in their US plants using US hops and local water, then it should rightly be considered a non-German macrolager? Not sure whether Stella, Heineken etc use local ingredients in their different export plants?

Never had a US-made Becks, would be interested to compare.

I had it when it first came out, in a side by side comparison with the German brewed original (blind tasting) .
They tasted virtually the same, with one tasting "fresher" (to no one’s surprise, that was the American brewed one).

Not something I ever buy, but it’s not terrible. And the ’character’ of the original was definitely there.

As far as the lawsuit goes, it was just dumb. The only ones that benefitted from it were the attorneys who split the proceeds of the $3million+ legal fees.

vacax
16:07 Sun 6/28/2015

Beck’s gave up some of its German ingredients in favor of domestic ones, including water and hops, according to the suit.

It would have been really amazing if they managed to brew the beer in the USA with German water.

Christos
beers 6111 º places 110 º 16:20 Sun 6/28/2015

Originally posted by vacax
Beck’s gave up some of its German ingredients in favor of domestic ones, including water and hops, according to the suit.

It would have been really amazing if they managed to brew the beer in the USA with German water.

But water’s pH etc can be altered, right?

DAJTX
beers 23 º places 6 º 01:09 Mon 6/29/2015

This is about transparency, and the macros have a pretty dismal record. I wonder how transparent the craft brewers are, who have more than one brewery. As craft beer continues to grow, I could see some of the larger ones dealing with this also.

mjg74
beers 3627 º places 64 º 12:43 Tue 6/30/2015

I know that to me the Becks okto doesn’t taste as good now. I used to buy a sixer of it every year. It was one of the first of the style I’d tried, so it holds a place near my heart. Last year I drank it and for the first time it didn’t have that flavor I had grown to enjoy over the years. After looking at the pack further, I realized it was US made. Never again.

Ernest
beers 9435 º places 229 º 13:28 Tue 6/30/2015

Originally posted by Douberd
Originally posted by vacax

But water’s pH etc can be altered, right?

Water is more than pH, most notably mineral content, which has a noticeable impact on flavor, especially in lighter styles like Beck’s.