Bochet Mead

Reads 1245 • Replies 7 • Started Tuesday, November 24, 2015 12:42:10 PM CT

The forums you're viewing are the static, archived version. You won't be able to post or reply here.
Our new, modern forums are here:
RateBeer Forums

Thread Frozen

Bacterial
beers 3140 º places 134 º 12:42 Tue 11/24/2015

Any of the mead makers out there have experience making a bochet? I’ve got 15 pounds of Costco honey. Leaning towards using my large crockpot on low setting until it gets dark brown / black in color. Also considering 5 pounds in a pot to get really black and toasted and 10 pounds in the crock pot for dark brown.

Any advice?

arminjewell
beers 9756 º places 10 º 13:12 Tue 11/24/2015

My only advice is to give me some when you are done. Carry on.

Bacterial
beers 3140 º places 134 º 21:07 Tue 11/24/2015

Originally posted by arminjewell

Deal! I’ve got a Raspberry one I’m pretty proud of that I’ll bring to our next tasting, or just come by when you are in town. Very low burnt rubber character.

CLevar
places 23 º 22:23 Tue 11/24/2015

Originally posted by Bacterial
Originally posted by arminjewell

Deal! I’ve got a Raspberry one I’m pretty proud of that I’ll bring to our next tasting, or just come by when you are in town. Very low burnt rubber character.

I’m told this is what makes a good mead though.

Please advise.

Drake
admin
beers 21771 º places 1252 º 22:36 Tue 11/24/2015

I’m curious to know this answer too. Sitting on about 30 pounds of honey, and I need to do something with it.

fiulijn
beers 28318 º places 745 º 02:59 Wed 11/25/2015

I never did it; but when I hear "black"... aren’t you afraid to ending up with ashtray flavor, instead of limiting yourself to caramel?

fiulijn
beers 28318 º places 745 º 03:05 Wed 11/25/2015

A bit off topic, but I’m curious.
Does the US law guarantee that only pure true honey can be labeled "honey"?
Is there any risk that when you buy cheap honey it’s mixed with fake honey from China, or bees have been fed with sugar?

johnnnniee
beers 7173 º places 217 º 21:11 Wed 11/25/2015

I made a bochet in January this year for the first time.
I made a small batch just to try out the process, I should buy more honey and give it another go.
I took 3 pounds of wildflower honey and boiled it on the stove for about 30 minutes. It got to a dark brown.
One tip, use a pot that is much bigger than you think you’ll need. The honey wants to boil and bubble its way out of the pot even if you watching and stirring. It goes through one stage where it foams like mad and you need lots of room in your pot.
I left mine a bit sweet, but thats how I like my mead, The boiling gave it a nice caramel and dark pitted fruit flavor.

Homebrew Shops - A collection of homebrew shops and supply houses submitted by RateBeer readers

Homebrewing Articles - RateBeer Magazine's homebrewing department

Homebrew Recipes - Experiment, share and post your own homebrew recipes

Until we can make beer come out of your monitor...

Beer2Buds
Send Beer Over The Net

Free signup now. Even out a trade, keep good vibes alive, say hi with a beer