5 Point plan to crush craft beer

Reads 6150 • Replies 89 • Started Sunday, November 29, 2015 5:52:41 PM CT

The forums you're viewing are the static, archived version. You won't be able to post or reply here.
Our new, modern forums are here:
RateBeer Forums

Thread Frozen

GlasgowTAD
beers 2015 º places 38 º 17:52 Sun 11/29/2015

Link to article about big beers plan to crush craft

The above article puts in black and white, in one place, the obvious tactics used by macro producers to regain dominance in growth statistics.

Macro producers are essentially trying to box out the smaller producers, by buying up craft beer producers and controlling distribution by absorbing distributors. Not only that but the macro club have overwhelming purchasing power when it comes to buying ingredients.

If macro producers can make some headway in penetrating the craft strongholds (i.e. Colorado, as the article mentions; who have laws favouring craft, or so it seemed). The recent Bourbon County release has shown that people are willing to make considerable effort to obtain some pretty special beer (brewery ownership aside) but if distribution were to be, essentially, monopolised - would people still make the effort for what we have the luxury of considering to be average now?

I know the spirit of craft is to keep it local, supply the community and the bars within etc. but will there be a point in time when the majority will just run out of steam and think ’whats the point?’.

The above were just a few thoughts that sprung to mind at the end of that article; I guess the point in posting this is is to see what others think, to obtain a different perspective.

RABinCO
beers 1511 º places 103 º 18:05 Sun 11/29/2015

Originally posted by Beerdrinker79
There are too many stupid people on here that don’t see big beer as a threat, even trying to post anything negative about big beer and everyone seems to get all butt hurt. I know where my loyalties are, just tired of arguing with idiots!

Is this is a troll post or do you honestly feel this way? If it’s the latter I hope you’re at least in the industry or somehow have a real stake in it.

GlasgowTAD
beers 2015 º places 38 º 18:10 Sun 11/29/2015

There are too many stupid people on here that don’t see big beer as a threat, even trying to post anything negative about big beer and everyone seems to get all butt hurt. I know where my loyalties are, just tired of arguing with idiots!

I think they are succeeding at the divide and conquer game too; push their ’you dont need craft’ message on to the non-enthusiasts; the semi-interested will buy good beer regardless of who brews it and finally, left will be, the minority who had a large part to play in the growth of craft, those that are loyal and support their local breweries. Once there are clear divisions then it will be easier to pull the carpet from under the latter group, through manipulation (distribution/control of ingredients) or moves on a micro level - buy up bars or whatever it takes.

X
beers 172 º places 1 º 18:18 Sun 11/29/2015

Whats surprising about this article (to me) is that is from Money Mag, not some Joe Schlock beer blog. Not that the article is schlock, its all good. Its just not new news here. However, Money may reach a wider audience than all the beer blogs in the world combined.

RABinCO
beers 1511 º places 103 º 18:20 Sun 11/29/2015

Originally posted by RABinCO

Is this is a troll post or do you honestly feel this way? If it’s the latter I hope you’re at least in the industry or somehow have a real stake in it.

It’s not a troll post, i do work in the industry, and see shelf space diminishing at an alarming rate, Ab/Inbev offering local bars 35 dollar 1/6 bbls of Goose and Shock Top to take down both Blue Moon and other small craft beers that in no way could afford to compete with those prices, they are trying to crush any and all competition. Trying to even talk about it is very frustrating on here sometimes.

Sorry you work in an industry where success is frowned upon.

X
beers 172 º places 1 º 18:26 Sun 11/29/2015

It’s not a troll post, i do work in the industry, and see shelf space diminishing at an alarming rate, Ab/Inbev offering local bars 35 dollar 1/6 bbls of Goose and Shock Top to take down both Blue Moon and other small craft beers that in no way could afford to compete with those prices, they are trying to crush any and all competition. Trying to even talk about it is very frustrating on here sometimes.

And you work in an industry that applauds the eventual destruction of craft beer?

DietPepsican
beers 1592 º places 63 º 18:28 Sun 11/29/2015

Craft beer can make you a billionaire or give you something to sell for a similar price. The idea of it going away is laughable on so many levels.

GlasgowTAD
beers 2015 º places 38 º 18:30 Sun 11/29/2015

Considering the bigger picture: once all those taps get replaced by those brands then prices will begin to rise, craft producers will be driven to bankruptcy and then tasteless macro crap will reappear on those taps.

CLevar
places 23 º 18:34 Sun 11/29/2015

Yea, because craft beer bars will somehow be forced into changing their entire business model because big beer has gotten even bigger.

And tap rooms are going to suddenly stop selling their own beer.

And an entire culture of consumers dedicated to choosing craft and local (even if not better) is going to vanish

DietPepsican
beers 1592 º places 63 º 18:39 Sun 11/29/2015

If AB buys hill farmstead right now and makes those recipes better than them at $35 a 1/6 barrel and blankets 50 states, you’d have my attention.

Until then "big beer" doesn’t have a chance at stealing market share from anybody but other shitty beer companies. Craft beer is just too big and trendy to be stopped right now.

DietPepsican
beers 1592 º places 63 º 18:42 Sun 11/29/2015

Originally posted by CLevar
Yea, because craft beer bars will somehow be forced into changing their entire business model because big beer has gotten even bigger.

And tap rooms are going to suddenly stop selling their own beer.

And an entire culture of consumers dedicated to choosing craft and local (even if not better) is going to vanish

Kraft cheese buys out local Vermont cheese company, shortage of white cheddar across country all replaced with body bagged Kraft singles. More news at 11.