Trade Mishap - Input Requested

Reads 3141 • Replies 35 • Started Thursday, April 24, 2014 7:57:58 PM CT

The forums you're viewing are the static, archived version. You won't be able to post or reply here.
Our new, modern forums are here:
RateBeer Forums

Thread Frozen

Benzai
beers 20020 º places 321 º 01:10 Fri 4/25/2014

Originally posted by devman171
Smells of fish to me, why would anyone take the time to rip open a box on the porch? Why not just take it?

That’s weird indeed...

GT
beers 10001 º places 672 º 02:15 Fri 4/25/2014

Originally posted by Benzai
Originally posted by devman171
Smells of fish to me, why would anyone take the time to rip open a box on the porch? Why not just take it?

That’s weird indeed...

Scared of GPS tracker in the box? Hell if I know

MacBoost
beers 2074 º places 37 º 04:44 Fri 4/25/2014

Once the bottles arrive intact on the recipients property, you have completed your end of the deal. Period.

If you want to go out of your way to help him out by sending another box, that’s up to you. But not required.

b3shine
beers 12178 º places 372 º 05:00 Fri 4/25/2014

Originally posted by BoostIPA
Once the bottles arrive intact on the recipients property, you have completed your end of the deal. Period.

I agree with this, but not everyone does. The issue becomes proving that it hit your recipient’s porch and not that the FedEx/UPS/USPS marked it as delivered but delivered it to the wrong house, etc.

However, in this case since there is proof that the box landed on his porch and was damaged because it wasn’t brought in in time, GT has zero obligation to make up for this IMO. Especially because OP was out of town and brought a third party (his neighbor) into the equation to handle the box.

Sorry to hear this; it sucks for everyone involved.

bigda83
beers 854 º places 42 º 05:15 Fri 4/25/2014

It does seem extrememly odd that someone would actually open and go through the box and pick out specific things. You’d really have to have some stones to stand on someone’s porch in the open going through the box when you could just take it and run. Either way, this is terrible news. I may be a geek here, but I get excited when I know a box has arrived and can’t wait to crack it open. Coming home to no box or a ransacked one would def be a big letdown.

It sounds like you know him and have traded before from what I saw in the messages. I’d say maybe send a couple bottles his way to make up for what was lost, even know those can’t be replaced. If you guys have traded in the past and now then I’m sure that would be repayed back in the future to you with some cool bonuses. Obviously, it’s not required as others said. You did your part already.

waltersrj
beers 280 º places 2 º 06:57 Fri 4/25/2014

Originally posted by GT2
Originally posted by waltersrj
GT2 was it my buddy Colin Spence? Oaked Canuck?

Yeah, is his handle on here OakedCanuck? I’ve actually traded with him before but didn’t know his handle here.

Yes his handle is OakedCanuck on every site I believe. Colin is a good guy and trying to complete his Armand 4 set. Crap happens unfortunately though he doesn’t live in a crappy neighborhood. He lives in one of those new neighborhoods where everything is new construction and most houses generally have the same build to them. He also lives at the very bottom of one street so it is odd they were stolen but Colin definitely didn’t take them out to claim they are gone if anyone thinks that.

TheAlum
beers 7164 º places 10 º 06:58 Fri 4/25/2014

If something gets stolen off the porch after delivery, it’s one of the few situations where the sender is not responsible.

waltersrj
beers 280 º places 2 º 07:15 Fri 4/25/2014

I would agree that if a box is delivered to the designated area and beers are then stolen or damaged, it is not the responsibility of the sender to replace bottles, especially ones not easy to get. If you are a long term trading partner then I’d probably send a few other beers depending on my relationship with the person just as a kindness but that’s just me. I’d even maybe just wait for another trade and then blow them away with extras even more than usual.

If a box never makes it to their house/business then I think it is the responsibility of the sender to replace in some sort of fashion. These are the hazard of trading unfortunately.

MacBoost
beers 2074 º places 37 º 07:18 Fri 4/25/2014

Originally posted by TheAlum
If something gets stolen off the porch after delivery, it’s one of the few situations where the sender is not responsible.

Other situations where the sender would not be responsible:
Frozen/exploded bottles due to weather
Recipient made a typo on the address he gave you (this has happened to me)
Taxed/seized by customs
Broken "extras" (as long as the agreed upon bottles were delivered)

b3shine
beers 12178 º places 372 º 07:43 Fri 4/25/2014

Originally posted by BoostIPA
Other situations where the sender would not be responsible:

Frozen/exploded bottles due to weather

Taxed/seized by customs

I disagree with both of these. If the recipient is adamant about shipping in bad weather and says he’s willing to risk bottles exploding because he’s under time constraints for a tasting, then the onus is off the shipper. Otherwise the responsibility is on the shipper to make sure the box arrives with the agreed upon bottle(s) in good shape. It’s a risk you take shipping in the winter and/or internationally.

Trading Policy  

Until we can make beer come out of your monitor...

Beer2Buds
Send Beer Over The Net

Free signup now. Even out a trade, keep good vibes alive, say hi with a beer

View Beer Deliveries
New To Trading?
Mail Order Beer
 P  Most Wanted Beer