RateBeer
home Home > Forums >
Metros > Germany | Beer Talk | Site News | Beer Trade | Beer Travel | Food/Beer | For Sale | New Here | Homebrew | Non-US | Industry | OT - Lite | OT - Medium

Travel Questions

read 363 times • 7 replies • posted 7/3/2012 7:21:07 AM

Thread Frozen

premium
blipp 5826:113
Hey guys. I’ll be travelling around Bavaria with my girlfriend in the middle of August (8.8 - 22.8) and have a few questions you guys might be able to answer.

The plan is to rent/buy bikes and bike around from town to town for about 10 days, anywhere between 30 and 60 km a day (depending on heat, legs, etc), stopping at brewpubs and other interesting places along the way. We’ll probably start in Nuremberg, loop up northeast, and then eventually end up in Bamberg, but nothing is really set in stone yet. (With that said, if you think there’s is an area better suited for a bicycle trip like this, let me know.)

How crowded will the smaller towns in the area be with tourists? I would prefer *not* to book rooms in advance so we can have more flexibility in our travelling decisions each day, but if vacancy will be in issue then I would like to book rooms sooner rather than later.

Generally, how expensive would a single bed room be at an inn/hostel in the smaller towns? Am I right that a lot of the smaller brewpubs themselves have rooms for rent?

Are there any can’t miss places, either beer or non-beer related that are kind of off the beaten path?

Any if anyone lives in the area, let me know if you want to meet up for a mid-day beer as we travel!

I thinks that’s all for now. I appreciate any help.
Private message Send the author a private message

Erlangernick 1:2
Originally posted by blipp
Hey guys. I’ll be travelling around Bavaria with my girlfriend in the middle of August (8.8 - 22.8) and have a few questions you guys might be able to answer.

The plan is to rent/buy bikes and bike around from town to town for about 10 days, anywhere between 30 and 60 km a day (depending on heat, legs, etc), stopping at brewpubs and other interesting places along the way.
Excellent plan.

We’ll probably start in Nuremberg, loop up northeast, and then eventually end up in Bamberg, but nothing is really set in stone yet. (With that said, if you think there’s is an area better suited for a bicycle trip like this, let me know.)
I’d personally recommend that you start and end in Bamberg, going in a loop around from the north - south - west and back to Bamberg, if you want to maximize beer quality and availability.

NE from Nürnberg makes me think you’re thinking of Zoigl. If you’ve not been to Franconia before, I’d personally suggest you focus on Franconia this time, saving an excursion into Zoiglland for a later trip. Or make it a day trip from Bamberg or Nuremberg. But others might not share this opinion.

How crowded will the smaller towns in the area be with tourists?
It is to laugh. Bamberg and Nürnberg are always crushed with tourists, but Forchheim and other smaller cities and towns? Nö.
I would prefer *not* to book rooms in advance so we can have more flexibility in our travelling decisions each day, but if vacancy will be in issue then I would like to book rooms sooner rather than later.

Generally, how expensive would a single bed room be at an inn/hostel in the smaller towns? Am I right that a lot of the smaller brewpubs themselves have rooms for rent?
I’m not personally really knowledgeable about prices, because I live in the area and just don’t stay in hotels here. Hostels are not really a phenomenon in small towns AFAIK, but there are vacation/holiday flats called Ferienwohnung(en) that are the cheapest. But then you make your own breakfast.

Are there any can’t miss places, either beer or non-beer related that are kind of off the beaten path?

Any if anyone lives in the area, let me know if you want to meet up for a mid-day beer as we travel!

I thinks that’s all for now. I appreciate any help.

There are ruined and not-so-ruined castles in the river valley country to the east of Bamberg called the "Fränkische Schweiz" (little Franconian Switzerland), old churches and monasteries, and all that usual European stuff to see.

Beer-wise, the countryside village breweries and their Bierkeller(s) within 50 or so km of Bamberg are *the* attraction. And then there’s Bamberg itself.
7/4/2012 1:31:36 AM

Private message send the author a private message

Make that loop "east - south - west", the north is also excellent, but IMO less so.
7/4/2012 1:32:48 AM

premium
admin
Oakes 12167:630
I agree with Nick that basing in Bamberg maximizes the beer thing. If that is the key to the trip, then Bamberg is the best base.

Going NE from Nuremberg into Frankische Schweiz is beautiful, and a lot more challenging for the cyclist (hillier, fewer paved bike paths). They do a lot of distilling in that area, but there’s still plenty of breweries. If you want to see something other than mugs of beer and plates of sausage, this area is great.

Many of the village brewpubs will have accomodations on site. These are usually pretty cheap and almost never full. I remember the one in Appendorf was something like thirty euros, and that’s probably normal. By contrast, Pottenstein was more like 90 because tourists go there. Bamberg should be booked ahead of time.

I’m not sure what a longer-term bike rate was, but I would pay eight or nine euros for a single day rental in Bamberg.

Also, check the Deutsche Bahn website. There are trains running everywhere. Some good trips to be had are riding out 30-40km and then taking the last train back into Bamberg.

The last thing I guess is that you have to be aware of brewery opening hours in the summer. Everybody is open, they just have a different location in the summertime. A lot of brewpubs - the addresses listed either here or in Steve Thomas’ guide - are going to be closed. That’s because everybody is at the keller. In many cases, you’ll have to figure out where the keller is (just outside town on a hill usually).
7/4/2012 7:46:59 AM

premium
Awesome. Thanks guys.
7/5/2012 9:42:32 AM

premium
One last quick question. My girlfriend has her heart set on staying 1 night in a "castle." Since she’s letting me have my dream beer vacation I feel obliged to make it happen. Any suggestions?
7/5/2012 5:01:56 PM

premium
bierkoning 9999:251
One last quick question. My girlfriend has her heart set on staying 1 night in a "castle." Since she’s letting me have my dream beer vacation I feel obliged to make it happen. Any suggestions?

Yes, Memmelsdorf (8 miles from Bamberg) has a luxury hotel in a castle, just outside town. And 2 good breweries.
7/6/2012 12:01:11 AM

Burg Rabenstein is in the heart of the Franconian Switzerland and is quite impressive IMO. Not huge, but situated on a cliff. We’ve taken a tour, but I had no idea they also operated a hotel up there. Their own webbie seems to not work at the moment, but there’s a Tripadvisor entry:
http://www.tripadvisor.de/Hotel_Review-g1184828-d1189242-Reviews-Burg_Rabenstein-Rabenstein_Bavaria.html

Easily accessible by train from Nürnberg is Burg Veldenstein in Neuhaus an der Pegnitz:
http://www.burghotel-veldenstein.de/html/burggeschichte.html
Have been there, and while not as spectacular as Rabenstein, there is a bonus: Neuhaus has a Zoiglbier-style Kommunbrauhaus tradition, and the one time we’ve been there, the beer on offer at the place open on that weekend was an excellent pale Märzen.

Schloss Buttenheim is a much smaller sort of place, where Schloss might translate to "residence" or "chateau", I suppose, as opposed to a Burg being more of a castle.
http://www.landhotel-buttenheim.de/index.html
Not much in comparison to the others, but it was a noble residence.

And those are the only three that I can think of at the moment, that I have personally observed in person.

Ah, also http://schlosshotel-pommersfelden.de/schloss-weissenstein/ accessible by bus from Bamberg IIRC. Not so old, and again not a castle, but more of a palace.
7/6/2012 12:02:25 AM

Copyright © 2000-2014,
RateBeer LLC. All rights
reserved.
about us
About RateBeer
FAQ
Contact/Feedback
New Beers
add
Advanced Search