Travelers: Strangest brewpub in the world?

Reads 7110 • Replies 97 • Started Thursday, May 1, 2014 8:41:14 AM CT

The forums you're viewing are the static, archived version. You won't be able to post or reply here.
Our new, modern forums are here:
RateBeer Forums

Thread Frozen

joet
admin
beers 2900 º places 125 º 08:41 Thu 5/1/2014

What has been your strangest brewpub experience?

miketd
beers 5 º places 125 º 09:40 Thu 5/1/2014

Strangest? I don’t know, but being served beer from an old cabin in an outside "bier garden", on homemade furniture made of logs, at 8300’ elevation in the middle bfe New Mexico was odd, and awesome. Commanche Creek Brewing

brokensail
admin
beers 21480 º places 1691 º 09:46 Thu 5/1/2014

The men’s room at Bear Republic.

fly
beers 1490 º places 271 º 09:51 Thu 5/1/2014

In my world, there is good strange and bad strange.

Which inflection is being suggested here?

Frank
beers 4561 º places 92 º 09:53 Thu 5/1/2014

Not exactly a brewpub but I had some of the locally made millet/fruit/whatever beers they made in Tanzania. It kind of tasted like wine and lambic and they served it in a plastic bucket that you passed around to the other folks who were there. The proprietress told us that she had a dream that she’d meet her first white people the night before.

They just called the stuff "local brew" in English and I gathered it was what you drank if you couldn’t afford whatever bottled Carlsberg beers they had down there. There was a red and white version and both had what looked like hibiscus petals in there. No idea what it is called in the local language.

brokensail
admin
beers 21480 º places 1691 º 10:11 Thu 5/1/2014

Solvang Brewing (Solvang, CA): was essentially a dive bar + night club in what I would call a "Danish concept town" with a cover band, wasted 40-somethings dancing, a piss soaked bathroom, and a 8.5x11 print of Starry Night over the urinal.

Ocean Ave Brewing (Laguna Beach, CA): a crappy brewpub by day and a full blown dance club at 9pm sharp.

TRVE Brewing (Denver, CO): a solid metal motif. Loud, sludgy music playing...lots of satanic decor, particularly around the taps.

Area 51 Brewing (Riverside, CA): It’s hard to put into words...

Funkwerks (Ft. Collins, CO): has a luxury men’s room as well, with the water heater being approximately 2 feet away from the toilet.

Sons of Liberty Brewing (Norco, CA): basically a Tea Party Republican’s wet dream. The beers are all named after historical figures/founds of the US...unfortunately the beer quality is an affront to the memory of those individuals.

Full Circle Brewing (Fresno, CA): Possibly the worst brewery I’ve ever been to. In a warehouse in an old industrial part of Fresno, shady looking characters abound outside. They have multiple bars, one is right inside the entrance and another back by the stage area where they have live music. Twelve beers on tap, all awful, but the brewer and his wife went on and on about them. Was really dark. They were charging a $5 cover or something to go in to the music area where they had some sort of country/western act playing, but all that divided where I sat from that was a curtain that was at best 10’ high, so I could still hear the music just fine.

t0rin0
beers 102 º places 1528 º 10:22 Thu 5/1/2014

Cant think of a lot of really strange brewpubs, which usually equates to gimmicky, just a whole lot of mediocre brewpubs.

Mississippi Brewing is two sheds on the pier. One is where the brewing happens, the other has a couple of bar stools in front.

http://www.ratebeer.com/p/mississippi-brewing-company/36969/

For strange ingredients/recipes:

Cervecería de MateVeza in SF
http://www.ratebeer.com/p/cerveceria-de-mateveza/33033/

South Paw BBQ also in SF
http://www.ratebeer.com/p/southpaw-bbq-and-southern-cooking/30456/

Can’t remember the name of the brewer from MN that gave a talk at RBSG last year but he ferments with some strange stuff and in dairy tanks that are not in any way refrigerated.

If these guys ever open they’ll have 3 breweries operating under the same roof and same license

http://www.ratebeer.com/p/brew-crew-inc/40429/

Along those lines, there are several co-op breweries around:

Black Star in Austin
http://www.ratebeer.com/p/black-star-co-op-pub-brewery/16712/

this place in Houston
http://www.ratebeer.com/p/the-league-of-extraordinary-brewers/40479/

and some others that I cant remember.

I’ve been to three or four that are in old garages or firehouses.

Area 51 has a whole lot of alien crap everywhere.

http://www.ratebeer.com/p/area-51-craft-brewery/34790/

Steve_0
beers 3744 º places 142 º 10:33 Thu 5/1/2014

Originally posted by brokensail
Solvang Brewing (Solvang, CA): was essentially a dive bar + night club in what I would call a "Danish concept town" with a cover band, wasted 40-somethings dancing, a piss soaked bathroom, and a 8.5x11 print of Starry Night over the urinal.

Ocean Ave Brewing (Laguna Beach, CA): a crappy brewpub by day and a full blown dance club at 9pm sharp.

TRVE Brewing (Denver, CO): a solid metal motif. Loud, sludgy music playing...lots of satanic decor, particularly around the taps.

Area 51 Brewing (Riverside, CA): It’s hard to put into words...

Funkwerks (Ft. Collins, CO): has a luxury men’s room as well, with the water heater being approximately 2 feet away from the toilet.

Sons of Liberty Brewing (Norco, CA): basically a Tea Party Republican’s wet dream. The beers are all named after historical figures/founds of the US...unfortunately the beer quality is an affront to the memory of those individuals.

Full Circle Brewing (Fresno, CA): Possibly the worst brewery I’ve ever been to. In a warehouse in an old industrial part of Fresno, shady looking characters abound outside. They have multiple bars, one is right inside the entrance and another back by the stage area where they have live music. Twelve beers on tap, all awful, but the brewer and his wife went on and on about them. Was really dark. They were charging a $5 cover or something to go in to the music area where they had some sort of country/western act playing, but all that divided where I sat from that was a curtain that was at best 10’ high, so I could still hear the music just fine.

Funkwerks and TRVE, but no Big Beaver offered? ws;sp

brokensail
admin
beers 21480 º places 1691 º 10:45 Thu 5/1/2014

Originally posted by Steve_0
Funkwerks and TRVE, but no Big Beaver offered? ws;sp

Fucken a, missed that one.

Big Beaver (Loveland, CO): Vagina and sex themed everything, bartenders being harassed by gross old ladies, you have to enter through what looks like a former accountant’s office turned shitty cidery to get there. It’s got everything one could dream of.

brnandersen
beers 6820 º places 222 º 11:00 Thu 5/1/2014

Browar de Brasil Warszawa: A Brazilian bar in the centre of Warszawa (yes, that’s in Poland) serving German-styled beers like Pils, Weizen and Dunkels with hearty dishes in a mixture of Polish, German and South American styles. Loud samba music adding to the atmosphere. Waitresses dressed in awkward samba outfits. I’m still mind blown...

nimbleprop
beers 15419 º places 134 º 11:15 Thu 5/1/2014

Originally posted by brokensail
The men’s room at Bear Republic.

Do tell...