RateBeer
home Home > Forums >
Beer Travel | Beer Talk | Site News | Beer Trade | Food/Beer | For Sale | New Here | Homebrew | Non-US | Industry | OT - Lite | OT - Medium

Traveling Europe

read 1547 times • 29 replies • posted 5/22/2013 2:30:48 AM

Thread Frozen
Page 1 | 2 | 3

Erlangernick 1:2
Originally posted by HopRedHead
Anyway, food criticisms aside, can anyone recommend worthwhile breweries to check out in Germany, Belgium and France? Can’t wait to check out brewdog in Edinburgh and the Mikkeller bar in Copenhagen. Also checking out a few distilleries, definitely Talisker at this point, any others I shouldn’t miss? Thanks again.

Germany’s rather large, so it depends on what area(s) you’re going to visit. Bamberg is the country’s beer capitol, with the area of Franconia surrounding it giving you a great diversity of small brewery lagers. Düsseldorf has Altbier, Köln has Kölsch, and then the rest is pretty miserable, except for Gose in Leipzig.
5/27/2013 7:19:40 AM

Private message send the author a private message

ACD 661:32
No Dublin leg of the trip? FOR SHAME!

5/29/2013 3:13:58 PM

premium
SarkyNorthener 2249:89
If you want to try out the distilleries in Scotland just check online which ones have visitor centres. Not all do. Talisker is a trek from everywhere else. If I had to pick an area I would go for Islay, but I love my peat. For ease of visiting a lot of distilleries Speyside is always a safe bet.
5/29/2013 3:25:13 PM

HopRedHead 391:36
Sorry to drag up an old thread, just landed in London. Checking out BrewDog tomorrow, what else is around London? Staying in Willesden Green. Cheers!
6/26/2013 7:08:55 AM

premium
Leighton 11623:637

Sorry to drag up an old thread, just landed in London. Checking out BrewDog tomorrow, what else is around London? Staying in Willesden Green. Cheers!

Come to Craft Beer Co. Clerkenwell on Saturday for their 2nd birthday celebration. There will be a RateBeer table upstairs. I’ll probably get there around noon-1pm or so and stay for several hours. I’m guessing there will be at least 10 RB guys hanging out.

Otherwise, if you’re just looking for pubs, I like the Euston Tap, the Old Fountain, Cask Pub and Kitchen, Craft Beer Co. Islington, the Cleveland Arms, the Old Coffee House. All these places have entries on RB places. I don’t know Willesden Green; I would recommend you hit up the more central pubs.
6/26/2013 7:12:48 AM

Okay thanks a lot Leighton. I think you recently met my friend Josh from Mane Liquor? He recommended I talk to you!
6/26/2013 7:29:35 AM

premium
chriso 7416:403
Originally posted by Leighton
I don’t know Willesden Green; I would recommend you hit up the more central pubs.

I concur. Willesden Green has fuck all. The Spotted Dog used to be very popular with Aussies but has now been converted to flats. I’m guessing that wouldn’t have been the sort of place you’re interested in anyway!
6/26/2013 7:41:31 AM

Haven't seen any decent bars around this area, but it's pretty convenient to get to central London. Saturday night definitely sounds like a go, keep an eye out for a tall, ginger dude! Checking out brewdog tomorrow, is there one that is particularly better than others? Also, where's the best shop to get craft beer, or can you pick up from said bar?

-
6/26/2013 12:18:21 PM

humlelala 1031:55
Also, where’s the best shop to get craft beer, or can you pick up from said bar?

When I was in London last I visited Utobeer at the Borough Market and Kris Wines in the remote end of Camden Town. The former was a more pleasant visit for me as the shop it’s located right next to London Bridge Station where Kris Wines is a bit less central and in a neighbourhood with less sights.

Regarding craft beer pubs I really liked the Exmouth Arms located right next to the Exmouth Market because of its ambience, prices, decent range of beers on tap and bottled and because it was close to where I stayed. I also visited the CBC in Leather Lane but found it a tad too busy and bare for my tastes. The number of taps was pretty insane though.
6/26/2013 1:28:01 PM

Home > Forums > Beer Travel

Page 1 | 2 | 3
Copyright © 2000-2014,
RateBeer LLC. All rights
reserved.
about us
About RateBeer
FAQ
Contact/Feedback
New Beers